“Romantic/perfect” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Ireland's Rustic Lodges

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Gold Beach
Ireland's Rustic Lodges
You added Ireland's Rustic Lodges to your Saves list
29330 Ellensburg Road (US 101), Gold Beach, OR 97444   |
Ranked #2 of 8 Hotels in Gold Beach
“Romantic/perfect”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I are hotel snobs. We usually stay at one particular hotel chain which doesn't have any hotels in this area.
We took a chance with this hotel and holy cow, it blew away our expectations. Romantic, beautiful, comfortable..I just cannot say enough.
This hotel had working wood burning fireplaces with views that were unbelievable. The room was perfect. The staff recommended day trips that were awesome. We don't live anywhere close to Oregon but we will recommend this hotel to anyone and everyone. I don't want to leave!!!

• Stayed June 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (125)
Walton, Oregon
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2013

I stayed for 2 nights in the Cedar cabin with my two dogs. I'd read the reviews and expected quaint and rustic, which was fine for us. I'd also read here and on the framed notice in the room (a bit over the top) that the owners are concerned about false negative reviews coming from a competitor. I wanted to leave a constructive, honest review in response to that, and in hope that it will help the owners understand what might improve what is otherwise a really nice place.

The staff was very friendly and helpful, and the facilities were overall very clean. I could tell the crew really cared about the place and enjoyed their jobs, doing the best they could with what was at hand. The grounds were very pretty and the beach access was great. Each building has a different age and story, which made it interesting. I'm sure some of the non-pet, newer rooms were fancier. The hot tub area looked really nice, but I didn't make it over there.

The room I had was in a line of very cute vintage log cabins. It had had a grand stone fireplace with plenty of free wood, which made it cozy and fun. Everything in the place looked like it had been hand selected at yard sales over the years, giving it a lot of character. It reminded me of my Uncle's lake house in the late 1970's.

My main issue was with the couch, which was an elaborate paisley affair that looked like it had once been very posh, but had spent a few too many years on a college kid's front porch hosting keg parties. I tried to imagine its story, and it seemed like it might tell me itself. The cushions were squashed and lolling out over the edge like large tongues (I pushed them back in but they were soon heading toward the floor again). It was so visibly filthy that I put one of my own throw blankets over it to sit on; not too keep the dogs off the couch, but to keep the couch off the dogs and me. It was actually blackened and shiny in the center of each cushion, I'm not just being fussy. I just didn't know what had made all that dirt (not even years of dogs and kids seemed entirely likely) and didn't want it on us. We had just been camping and sitting on the ground, but this was a different kind of dirt.

The vinyl chairs were in also in bad condition, with stuffing poking out of large cracks on the arms that pinched. The coffee table had little finish left on it. The rug by the fireplace was a pretty old wool one which someone's dog had probably chewed the fringe off of a long time ago (ok, its by the hearth, and it was hiding burn marks). The carpet was brown, but had darker splotchy areas around the table and in the walkways. I could see a distinct line of bright, unsullied carpet near the radiator panels. I felt like it was probably clean enough, but was just too old get the stains out anymore.

While I appreciate having pet friendly options, the 40.00 fee (2 pets, 2 nights) didn't include anything for their comfort and the cleanliness of the room like a motel usually does, such as an old sheet to lay on or old towels to dry their sandy feet off. I also thought, even for a rustic pet room, the furnishings were just too shabby for the price.

My suggestion to make this room 100% better would be to drag that poor couch to the curb and put it out of its misery. Replace it and the chairs, maybe with hand me downs from another room that you want to upgrade if you don't want to put new stuff in an older pet room. Goodwill has nicer couches, seriously. Regular steam cleaning and dog sheets for guests will help. Also, replace the carpeting when possible. Laminate is a nice, inexpensive option I've seen in another pet friendly, vintage coastal motel.

So yes, this is a wonderful family run business, and it's great that you've kept the old cabins intact and haven't over developed the beautiful land, but please do consider that the reviews have some merit. All in all, I'm glad I gave it a shot, but I will probably try the pet rooms at a competitor next time. I wanted to love it, but I just couldn't.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
Sechelt, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2013

This is a large multi-faceted resort complex fronting the Pacific on miles of sandy beach. If you want to experience what travelling was like back in the day try reserving one of the cabins. We stayed in the Spruce that included a large rock fireplace that came with the firewood and kindling.
There is even an RV park for those arriving for family gatherings where others are staying in the resort's rooms.

The three spa sun deck on the beachfront is NOT to be missed.v

I really hope the owner's never tear down their classic rustic cabins. The only thing I would suggest is demolishing the garages that connect some of the units as it open up the spaces between them.

Room Tip: Reserve the Spruce cabin that comes with fireplace and ocean view.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Newport, Oregon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2013

Just a overall great experience. stayed in the Monterey cabin. it stands alone, so no noise coming through the walls. it has a wood burning fireplace, and they give you the wood. it has three spas (different temperatures) about 75 yards away towards the beach. wood paneling, and a nice little breakfast of waffles cereal toast and hard boiled eggs. All for 112.00 tax and all. It is rustic and my wife and I just loved it.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Granbury, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here for 2 nights and thought it was wonderful! Not like a large hotel, but we thought their website was very clear that it is Ireland's "Rustic Lodges"! The room was very clean, bed was comfy, breakfast was ample. The oceans views and the hot tubs overlooking the ocean were great! We really enjoyed having a glass of wine on our private balcony, and later from our recliners in front of the fireplace! We absolutely would stay here again!

Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Bakersfield, California, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2013

My family and I stayed in the 3 bedroom Nantucket House with a Beach View. Walk down a little trail and you are at the beach. You can see it from your window fine but it is not ON the beach. Nice and cozy. Bedroom were small but great price. There were a total of 5 of us. My parents in one room my boyfriend and self in 1 and sister in other. Queen beds in each room. The grounds were great though and I enjoyed my stay. Full kitchen and patio. It feels like a nice little cabin. I definitely recommend this place and the Jerry's Jet Boat ride.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Coos Bay, Oregon, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2013

Can't speak for the newer accommodations as we stayed in one of the oldest cabins there and honestly we enjoyed the little hints of history and nostalgia about the place. Very comfortable, the staff keep everything clean and tidy, everything just worked and the young man delivering firewood kept us cheerily supplied. Front desk staff was friendly and efficient if a bit overworked. The beach view and trails were wonderful, and we happened to have one absolutely perfect weather day which we ended with a long soak in the adults only hot tub watching the sun set over the ocean. They have two more hot tubs that are family friendly as well! We'll definitely stay here again. This was a short romantic getaway, but next time we'll bring the kids as this seems a perfect place for family leisure time.

Room Tip: They have something for everybody here, a wide variety of rooms, cabins, houses. From low cost small...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Ireland's Rustic Lodges? Share your experiences!