“So relaxing” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Gearhart
Houston, Texas
“So relaxing”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2013

My niece wanted to go to Seaside for her graduation present from me. So I booked the Gearhart by the Sea. When I called I asked for a room that had a full ocean view I explained that I was coming from Texas and wanted to see the beautiful pacific ocean. We checked in on a Friday and when I opened the doors it was way more than what I expected. The view was exactly what I was looking for the room was so big it had 2 rooms and 2 bathrooms. A full size kitchen and a living room and dining room. It felt like we were staying in someone's apartment. The staff was so friendly and helpful. If I ever make it back to OR I will make sure that this is where I stay.

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Pleasanton, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2013

I love Gearhart. I'm 40 years old, and the first time I was there was in 1985 with my parents, grandparents, and aunts and uncles and cousins. So this place is sort of special to my family. June was the first time we'd been back since the 80s, and I'm happy to report that it's just as wonderful as I remembered.

We stayed in the single-level condos closest to the beach, which are behind the high-rise unit. My family stayed in one (405) that allowed our lab to join us, and my parents and brother's family stayed in an equally outfitted condo (412) a few units down. The place had everything we needed, including a VHS "MovieWalker" and a library of movies for the whole family. Super fun! The kitchen is well stocked, there are plenty of comfortable chairs, and the beds were fine. The kids had a blast discovering the "craftmatic adjustable bed" in the second bedroom.

Our only complaint is ventilation. None of the windows open. Only the doors open, but there are no screen doors to keep in dogs and kids and keep out the bugs. There's no A/C or fan (that we could find), but the maintenance guy brought us a box fan to stick in the door. Problem solved.

It opens to the beach, so it was a short walk down to the water. The view is wonderful, obviously. It's just a peaceful, relaxing, easy place to be.

The location is central, too, to most things on the northern Oregon coast. The small town of Gearhart is just minutes away -- the Safeway is about 5 minutes a way, but there's a great little market just up the road within walking distance -- Seaside is 10 - 15 minutes away, Astoria is 20 minutes or so north, and Tillamook is about an hour south.

Beaverton, Oregon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2013

Location was great. Close to the ocean and sand and accessible to Seaside, Ft. Clatsop, Ft. Stevens and stores.

Very clean and kitchen was very adequate for meals with its counter space and seating for people.. Spectacular views of the ocean and nice fireplace and nicely furnished. Lots of parking and great for children. Playground area and walking distance to the sand.

Oregon
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2013

My husband and I stayed two nights in unit 663, on the 3rd floor, with a spectacular view of the ocean. Our privately owned condo was very a nicely furnished, one bedroom with a fireplace, flat screen TV and pull out sofa. The kitchen had an island with plenty of counter space for preparing our meals. You could tell the owners took pride in this place, as everything seemed to be recently updated. Even the carpet looked and smelled fairly new. The balcony was nice and private, perfect for sitting outside with a bottle of wine and watching the sun set. I understand that some of the units in this building are not as updated as ours was, so its a good idea to check out the website before you book. My only complaint is that the hot tub was not in service when we wanted a nice soak - there was caution tape around it. However, we will be back next time we are in the area for some R & R.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2013

Our arrival was greeted by the most unfriendly, rude, condescending woman I've seen in 42 years of traveling. Then, we get to the room. The room was dated, a king bed crammed in a room not designed for it, the old tv stuffed in the bedroom closet on an old dresser that was then plugged into an outlet outside the closet causing the power cord to be pinched. The night stand was a TV tray that was dirty from someone's coffee and donut from a prior stay. Extension cords (very old ones) were ran around behind a dresser and under the bed to power lights. There was another dresser crammed into the side of the room and its drawers were filthy. The bathroom was dated, rusty and moldy. The shower door opened with difficulty thanks to the dirt and grime, rust and mold. The towels were stained stringy.....awful. You couldn't determine if they had been washed. Within a short time we started itching. We don't know why but suspect mold or other airborne filth. Then we saw fleas....and that was it. We went back to the office, and no one was there to help. So we left the keys and a note. No, they haven't refunded our money or called. The place is a fire hazard with the extension cords/outdated electrical and we wouldn't stay there if it was free!

Room Tip: Just don't go there, you will regret it. There are some actually nice places on the beach that...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012 via mobile

A solid value for the cost of the room, ask for the AAA rate. The room and building was basic but had a great view of the beach and ocean. The beach is a two minute walk from the room. The McMin. Restaurant and pub is right across the street with great pub food and a nice selection of beer. A few minutes by car to cute bakery and coffee shop in Gearhart.

• Stayed September 2012
Camas, Washington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2012

We have stayed at this condo style rental a couple of times in the past, 1 good stay and 1 not-so-good stay (carpet had pet odor, furniture was well worn and old!). Each condo is individually owned and decorated, so you really have to preview the pictures online to make sure you are choosing a condo that will suit your needs and expectations. We found a wonderful, hardwood floor condo that would accept pets - minimal, but neatly decorated, but very spacious and neat. It was perfect for our family, 2 bdrm., large balcony with ocean view, easy to get to the pet "potty" area with potty bags & garbage conveniently provided. Nice, short walk to the beach, adequate pool, and a great price. We will be looking to rent this unit again in the future!

Room Tip: Make sure you preview the condo photos online, and if you want a pet room, I would recommend a condo...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family

Been to Gearhart by the Sea? Share your experiences!