“Enjoyed our stay and recommend this inn” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Landmark Inn

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Florence
The Landmark Inn
You added The Landmark Inn to your Saves list
1551 4th Street, Florence, OR 97439   |
Ranked #5 of 11 Hotels in Florence
North Carolina
“Enjoyed our stay and recommend this inn”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2012 via mobile

It wasn't easily seen from the road, so we passed by it, but once we got up their steep driveway, we fell in love with the place. From their small parking area in front of the inn, it looked like a gingerbread house. The owner greeted us in a very friendly way. We checked into Room 9 with a king bed, and it was wonderful! My husband was impressed that we could reserve something so nice, sight unseen, but with good recommendations from Trip Advisor.

When we walked into the room, we found a pretty bed with a rustic wooden headboard. There were two tall, generously-sized closets. The bathroom was quite nice. As we continued to walk through the room, we came to a small living room, with microwave oven, refrigerator, pine coffee table, very comfortable couch, pine desk and chair. We enjoyed the view through our large windows. The TV was small, but TV reception was good. We later took advantage of the hot tub, which you have to reserve a time for.

The Landmark Inn was a very cozy home away from home.

Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Arcata, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2012 via mobile

My husband and I stayed for two nights at the start on our honeymoon. The room was extremely clean and private and the wall of windows of room 10 was beautiful in the morning. The king bed was very comfy. We had two minor complaints. The first night we heard deep snoring from the room next door (I needed to wear my trusty ear plugs). We slept fine but its just eery to hear a stranger sleeping. The second complaint is that the front door swung open in the middle of the night due to wind! Because the doors only have a single knob lock, we apparently didn't closer the door completely even thought it seemed shut, it flew open at 2am. That was scary. I told the manager the next morning and he said 'oh ya, room 10 does that. You need to be sure to close the door completely.' Weird. So we slammed the door the rest of our stay. Other than those two things (and the small scratchy towels) our stay was quite pleasant, thus my overall high rating.

• Stayed June 2012
Portland, Oregon
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2012

My wife and I found this place while passing through and we read the good reviews so we figured it was a good bet. The other reviews told us nothing relevant to what we experienced.

We were drawn in with the $65 a night price tag but this place is so small that those rooms were apparently not available. The next best rate was $150 but they told me we could have a deal if we didn't use the fancy tub. That brought it down to $110 but we really weren't looking for a romantic getaway so I asked if they had anything else or if they could give us anything in the $85 price range. The attendant asked if we could do $90 including taxes and I said yes. Then she mumbled okay, $90 plus taxes which brought it back up to $99. Pretty sneaky of her, and I should have just left and went to another hotel then but my wife was tired. I reminded her that we had just agreed to $90 including taxes and she reluctantly agreed with me but haggled me up to $85 + tax which came out to $93.50. Then I mentioned we had a baby all of the sudden she stopped what she was doing and said she couldn't put me in that room even though she had just informed me that it was our only option. I assured her that our 2 month old baby wasn't a problem but she informed me that she could not put 3 people in the nice room. To me this sounded completely absurd and before I realized it she had successfully downgraded our room to one half the size and upgraded another customer who had not arrived yet but we saw no change in price. Apparently I was supposed to be happy because our 2 month old, who sleeps in her car seat still, now had an entire bed for herself.

Then we got to the room, it was very stuffy right off the bat so I went to turn on the air conditioner. Except there wasn't an air conditioner, just two heaters. It was a warm day and I figured I'd open the window because the room had gotten quite warm. Only one window of the 4 in the room actually opens which creates no air flow whatsoever. Then I checked the bathroom, promptly killed a decent size spider and wondered if I had made a good decision. When we were ready to give our baby a bath we realized that the shower didn't work. The drain did not close when the lever was moved in either direction so I had to go downstairs and get something to plug it up. After a long day when I went to shower I was greeted with the absolute LOWEST flow shower head I've ever used. It was like we were slightly upgraded from low flow pipe sticking out of the wall. I have had camp showers that were more pleasant and more effective. Oh and it's important to mention that our room, that was supposed to have two queens, actually was a room with two double beds. Their actual queen size beds are labeled "executive queen" which we would have had if we hadn't been downgraded.

Breakfast was OK, not spectacular, not horrible, but also not very satisfying. Everything is saran wrapped, (cups, bagels etc) they love that here. Poor choice in cereal, for some reason they had a random crock pot of warm and serve breakfast sausages but that was the only hot food available. The bagels weren't very good or fresh and to complete the random assortment there was a container of string cheese.

Bottom line is there are lots of little hotels in Florence, this one isn't worth it, go find another.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
, Owner at The Landmark Inn, responded to this review, June 27, 2012
Dear Travelers / Readers,
We have been in business for almost 20 years and are known as one of the cleanest, most comfortable motels on the Oregon coast. The other (50) Trip Advisor reviews must have some relevance.
The Landmark Inn had only (3) rooms left that evening. We are a 12 room Inn that has (2) of each style of room. We have bedroom / bathrooms and room styles that go all the way to master suites, which have living rooms, kitchens and some even have spa tubs. Our main Landmark Inn sign states that our rooms (start at $65.00) and go to $145.00 + 10% lodging tax. Our guest was shown all of the rooms that we had left that evening. Our $65. 00 & $70.00 rooms were already taken. There were (3) people in their party (including baby) so that meant that they had one choice, a room with (2) queen beds. I know that they are queen beds because I have been buying queen sizes bed linens for them for almost 20 years. Our least expensive rooms would not have been appropriate for our guests. * We want you to be comfortable.
There is and was nothing sneaky about it our wonderful host and our procedures. Our room rates are all clearly posted on our website, our brochures and at the front desk. How many motels actually post their rates?The Landmark Inn host did everything she could to make our guest comfortable including giving them a $30.00 discount. That means she gave them a $$115.00 room for $85.00. Our standard discount is a maximum of $5.00 off for a Players Club discount or what we call $5 for 5 nights or more. Our room rates are very competitive.
There is only one motel in Florence, Oregon that has air conditioning. The average winter temp is 56 degrees, and the average summer temp is 66 degrees. The Oregon coast has not even experienced 70 degrees yet this year. We may have 1-2 day each year that reach 80- 90 degrees. There is little need for an air conditioner, that is why our town motels do not have air conditioners.
The Landmark Inn is a (Green) motel. We recycle, have 2 blankets on our beds, and have low flow shower heads. We have the exact same shower heads in our home.
For our continental breakfast we serve organic granola & muesli ( by Ancient Healing Ways) Honey O's, great bagels, cream cheese & jams, (3) different cheeses, breakfast sausages and coffee, tea, hot cocoa, filtered H2O and orange juice all of the time. All exceptional quality foods.
I will bet that baby slept well on our new pillow top mattress.
Please keep an open mind and enjoy our comfortable Landmark Inn. Best Regards, Host / Owner
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2012 via mobile

My wife and I typically go to the coast to spend multiple days. The Landmark provides us with a comfortable and clean place to "call our home."

The recent addition of newer TVs and pillow top mattresses definitely add to the enjoyment of our stay. The Continental Breakfast has also been upgraded, and an area to eat is a real plus. The rooms are clean and well-kept. The location (on a hill) and view (Siuslaw River & dunes) is great!

I highly recommend the Landmark Inn to anyone who visits Florence,

Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Prairie Village, Kansas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2012

Simple room, but quite and reasonably price. The front desk was very helpful in getting me to the places I needed to go. Worked with my late flight so my room was ready to go when I got in. Walking distance to the river, eating and shopping. It was a good stay.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled solo
Germany
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2012

Our stay at the Landmark Inn in Florence was short but relaxing: the room was divided into a sleeping area and a living area replete with couch, chair and coffee table where we also had our complementary breakfast the following morning. The staff was competent and knowledgable. We visited the nearby dunes and the older part of Florence the following day, both of which were worth a short visit. The town also has a number of coffee shops on the river that were inviting as well. Overall a recommendable place to stay for a visit.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
Eugene, Oregon
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2012

We stayed at this place in room 12 for a special evening on new years eve. After returning from the casino we noticed what seemed like a woodpecker in the ceiling (the office was closed). Shut the bathroom door and tried to ignore it but could not sleep a wink. The disturbing part is that when I confronted the desk early in the morning he asked "did you leave the bathroom window open"? I said no, it is 35 degrees outside why would I do that. He seemed to then be familiar with a problem that made the bathroom vent do this unless the window was open? Really?? I went back to the room cracked the window and tried to get a few winks, it appears that I "did not open it far enough". Very nice place, but not impressed with how this was handled at all. Don't try to sleep in room 12.

Room Tip: Do not pick room 12 if you want to sleep!!! They know about this problem and do not tell you!!
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
review88602, Owner at The Landmark Inn, responded to this review, January 11, 2012
Yes! We have "Very nice rooms"... We have hundreds of guests with us, who love the Landmark Inn. We are sorry that this guest experienced what sounded like a woodpecker in his room. It was not a woodpecker, although we have woodpeckers and many other wonderful birds in the woods that surrounds the Landmark Inn.
We are a modern Inn that practices going green. Room #12 is a new building that was built just 2 years ago. The bathroom vent fans have a small aluminum flap on them. The flap helps retain heat in your room until the vent fan is turned on.
When the wind outside blows just right (heavily, which it was) it would make the aluminum flap, in room #12, sound like a woodpecker. This was a very hard difficult phenomenon to find because it did not happen all of the time. A short time ago, we learned that if you opened the small window above the shower (about 1 inch) the air pressure in the room changes and the woodpecker sound stopped. Well now the woodpecker (aluminum flap) is gone altogether... The little aluminum flap has been ripped out.
In everyone of our rooms there is an information sheet that states that if you are having any kind of problem with your room, please contact the front desk or phone the provided phone number which contacts the owner directly. So far we have been able to solve just about every reasonable problem presented to us.
Come and stay with us! It is our goal to make you happy, just like the hundreds of other
guests that have stayed with us in the past. Have a great day! :-)

Been to The Landmark Inn? Share your experiences!