“Do not rent from Torex Inc!! We drove 2...” 1 of 5 stars

Sand Dunes Frontier
83960 Hwy 101, Florence, OR
Improve this listing
More attraction details
Owner description: Sand dunes tours in large buggies or smaller "sandrails" or ATV rentals.
“Do not rent from Torex Inc!! We drove 2...”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2010

Do not rent from Torex Inc!! We drove 2 hours from Depoe Bay to Florence to rent 6 four-wheelers at Torex Inc. The staff is extremely unprofessional and very rude. We were told after paying all the rental fees that there would be no wait. After waiting for over an hour, a few four-wheelers were returned. After being fueled-up, we made our way over to the ATVs thinking we would finally get to ride, but were told to "get out of the way" as a group of 3 stepped in front of us and got on the ATVs. This is after we had been told there would be NO wait at all. A little upset, we asked one of the guys how much longer it would be and he told us it would be 35 MORE minutes. By that point we were so frustrated with the service that we asked for our money back. The guy that told us it would be 35 more minutes walked into the rental booth and grumbled under his breath to another guy "they don't want to wait ten minutes and want their money back." When I pointed out that HE was the one that told us it would be 35 more minutes not 10 seconds before, he turned his back to me. I can honestly say that I have never been treated so badly. Please, do not waste your families time or money.

Miami, Florida
“Stay away!!! We rented a 2 person atv...”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2010

Stay away!!! We rented a 2 person atv last week. They ask for a $300 deposit up front on top of the rental fee. We were super cautious when riding on the dunes to make sure we did not tip over. When we came back, they looked at the atv and tried to accuse us of harming the atv, pulling off the cover, bringing over technicians, etc and when I asked what was wrong, the guy said rudely "we aren't taking to you!" super rude and I think they are just trying to take your deposit to fix their other faulty machines!! Beware!! We were shocked and it really destroyed what could have been a fun experience. They let us go after I mentioned we would contact a lawyer

Vancouver, Canada
“Stay away from the ATV rentals (now Torex Inc)”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2010

Sand Dune Frontiers seems to have disowned the ATV rentals side of the business, now run by Torex Inc, albeit still advertises the ATV rentals in Sand Dune Frontiers brochures. Do NOT use Torex Inc. The ATVs are sub-standard and VERY poorly maintained. Foot brakes didn't work. Engines kept cutting out or losing power. Electric starters failed so had to use pull cord every time. 2 out of the 3 ATVs I rented had mechanical failures, stranding us out in the dunes. Couldn't get back by the allotted time as I couldn't abandon 2 minors who were having issues with their own ATVs. Had to fight very, very hard to get a refund and avoid the $1/min late fee. Never even got an apology. My wife chose to go on the Sand Dunes Frontier scenic tour ride and enjoyed it immensely albeit had to wait nearly an hour as the driver was also stranded out in the dunes with another defunct machine! Stay away from Torex Inc.

Fort Lauderdale, Florida
“Wild Ride On The Dunes”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2010

During a recent visit to Oregon a priority on my touring list was to see the sand dunes on the southern Oregon coast. I decided to embark on a tour by Sand Dunes Frontier. What I didn't know was that when I selected the sandrail type tour was how fast and how heart pounding this "ride" would be. The only way I got through it was keeping my eyes closed most of the time. The rest of the people who joined this ride on the vehicle absolutely loved it. This ride is not for the faint of heart and who love the roller coaster effect on the Sand Dunes.

The staff fully advise that you don't carry anything that can be shaken loose and cameras or valuables that you take along should be sealed in zippered type cases. Sand literally gets blown all over you. It took about a week to get all the sand out of my ears. They provide goggles for the eyes for safety.

After returning from the wild ride on the sandrail, I decided to try what I was told was the slower pace big dune buggy tour. That ride was at a much slower pace allowing me to keep my eyes open and still enjoy the thrill of descending down the steep slope of the dunes. On this ride we enjoyed an added bonus as the vehicle broke down. While in the middle of the dunes the operator asked us to leave the vehicle while he called in for another vehicle to pick us up. All the passengers actually enjoyed this opportunity as we were able to walk on the sand and walk up and down a dune getting a real feel for the sand material and enjoying the views.

There is also an ATV rental concession in the same location. I stopped to inquire about the rentals and the young staff was extremely friendly and provided me responses to any questions I had. In the end the day was getting late and since I didn't have a riding partner with me I elected not to venture out on ATV's that day but intend on doing so on a future return trip to the Florence area. As a consolation, a couple of the staff was kind enough to pull out a 4 wheeler for me and photograph me for future reminders of a return trip to try out this adventure.

The drivers on both tours were both very experienced and friendly. I only wish I had more information on the sand rail tour but still highly recommend this tour for the heartpounding thrill seeker types. It will be a true adventure.

Vancouver, Canada
“Awesome Experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2010

My boyfriend and I rented single Quads for $45/hour ($35/half hour also available), which included helmets and goggles. I believe anyone over the age of 16 can go riding even if you do not have a valid driver's license. You get a very brief safety tutorial and then you are off to speeding over sand dunes. You've got to try this and you can go as fast or slow as you want. Be prepared to get stuck a couple times and make sure you stick with a partner.