“Hotel is showing its age a bit” 3 of 5 stars

3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   1000 Valley River Way, Eugene, OR 97401   |
Ranked #7 of 33 Hotels in Eugene
GreenLeadersSilver level
Banks, OR
“Hotel is showing its age a bit”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

The Valley River Inn has been a Eugene landmark since back in the sixties, I think. We have stayed in several area hotels, usually in the Gateway area (Marriott Courtyard, Holiday Inn, etc.). The Valley River Inn was not up to their standards.

The room was larger than one would expect, but typical of a sixties-era room, the electrical outlets were few and far between and I was hard-pressed to find an outlet for my CPAP machine. Local calls were 75 cents, which is a bit much in the modern era. Noise-proofing was minimal, and we were kept awake by the brontosaurus in the room above us (perhaps it was just someone who enjoyed stomping around, but it was annoying).

The restaurant. Sweetwaters, is quite nice, and we have chosen to eat there several times, even when we're staying at a different hotel. The breakfast buffet, $10 for guests, is perhaps not worth the price, but I've certainly had worse.

Overall, we'll probably go back to the Courtyard on our next Eugene trip.

• Stayed January 2015, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (151)
Oregon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

2nd time staying here in early January. Easy and friendly check-in, great fire in the lobby and clean and large rooms. Love the location. Nice and quiet. Free wi-fi, no password needed.

Annoying to have to put in 200 characters when my original 185 seemed quite sufficient...

• Stayed January 2015, traveled with family
Roseburg, Oregon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

The hotel is older, but clean and the staff is amazing. Very friendly, professional, exceeded my expectations. I did not expect this to be nicer than most of the better rated chains, but it was. The hotel location is nice, the restaurant was very good, but what made the trip was the staff.

• Stayed January 2015, traveled as a couple
San Diego, California, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

I had to cut a trip short and United had no available flights due to the Ducks championships. United referred me to the Valley River Inn with its free shuttle service. That turned out to be a Godsend because I had to go to urgent care and fill a prescription. Alex Wilson was the shuttle driver and was excellent and very patient. The rooms were quiet and spacious. The hotel restaurant had a beautiful fireplace and view of the river. The front desk service and all service was excellent. I highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed January 2015, traveled solo
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

I recently had guests visiting for the first time to the United States from China. I chose The Valley River Inn because of it's location and central proximity to Eugene and surrounding areas. Although, this proved to be valuable, I was most pleasantly surprised by the attention to detail and customer service showed towards my guests by Mr. Carlos Hernandez.

He quickly greeted my guests as they arrived, dealt with language barriers, and proved as a valuable resource for my international travelers. Given the nature of the guests trip, this type of service was extremely appreciated and I would recommend the hotel both for local and international guests in the future.

Respectfully submitted,

Nathan W.

• Stayed November 2014, traveled on business
Ashland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago

When we needed a place to stay for four nights due to a medical situation in December over the holidays, we found ourselves at the Valley River Inn. KUDOS go to J. Carlos at the front desk for providing caring and exceptional service. The river view room was comfortable and comforting, and the restaurant bar menu and dinner menu offered pleasing and ample options. Great staff showed energy and commitment to serve with smiling faces. We will surely stay again.

Green Features: Special environmental coupon offered to guests that did not require daily housekeeping. Nice touch. Staff involved in environmental training and implementation.
  • Stayed December 2014, traveled as a couple
ValleyRiverInn, General Manager at The Valley River Inn, responded to this review, 3 weeks ago
Thank you for taking the time to share about your recent stay at Valley River Inn. I am happy to see that you were made comfortable while you were here. You specifically mentioned J. Carlos, and you are correct, he has been a great addition to the team.

It is always great to share this type of feedback with the team. It reminds them why they do what they do, and it gets noticed.

Thank you again for your kind words, and we look forward to seeing you again when you come back to Eugene.

Warm Regards,
George Rogers
Brookings, Oregon
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago

I knew the hotel was under new ownership and many of the long term employees had been let go. I was surprised and disappointed that they had closed the Concierge service that offered a popular breakfast and Happy Hour special priced option. However, I knew that would not appeal to everyone and it is low winter season. So if this was the end of the let downs, I would have not bothered with this update.
The straw that broke the camels back, which was more like a ton of straw, happened because they offer a price match if you call and say the same type of room is being offered at their hotel for a lower price. I was going to stay at my favorite B&B since this is not pool season, but than I saw a real attractive price for The River Valley Inn. I call and am sent to reservation. Lisa gets on the line and confirms the lower price but sends me back to the hotel front desk because as a Club member for frequent guests, I asked for a special building. I wait 5 minutes for the phone transfer to pick up and Olivia finally answers. She asks me to hold but the line goes dead about 5 to 7 minutes later, I call again and after she says they have the room available ,so I offer to go on hold again because I can hear the phone ringing in the background and I am a passenger in my car with my wife driving and nothing to do. After a long wait and my wife saying just hang up, I tell her no because I am going to time it. Then 17 minutes later a man, Haus< gets on the line to tell me they are too busy and I need to go back to reservations. The transfer goes back to reservations and the line goes dead again.
We are now close to the hotel. so we just drive over and Olivia gets everything all set up but needs to have Haus's approval. "No, we do not match Priceline!" Olivia quickly interjects we were told yes in the reservation department and we are frequent guests and club members. No, too bad, so I pay $22 extra and thanked Olivia , who did her best, as she apologized that she was there for only a few weeks as a new employee. So, expect problems and forget memories!

• Stayed December 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you so much for taking the time to share about your recent experience. I am very disappointed to see that you had such a difficult time making a reservation and getting checked into the hotel. This is very unusual and I have shared your feedback with the front desk so that this does not happen again.

Again, this type of feedback is important to us so that problems can be corrected immediately with the team. I certainly hope you will give us another try when you travel back through the area.

Warm Regards,
George Rogers

Been to The Valley River Inn? Share your experiences!