“Worst experience in my life!” 1 of 5 stars
Review of University Inn & Suites

You added University Inn & Suites to your Saves list
University Inn & Suites
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1857 Franklin Blvd., Eugene, OR 97403 (Formerly Franklin Inn & Suites)   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #19 of 33 Hotels in Eugene
Stevensville, Montana, United States
“Worst experience in my life!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2012

I booked a room with Expedia online for the University Inn 3 weeks prior to our road trip. We specifically booked with this hotel because it said it was pet friendly. We arrived very tired to the hotel room at 2AM only to come and find they had changed their policy about pets.Since we had no where else to go, they made me feel like it was my problem, not there's.They did go ahead and put us in a room. It was my husband, our 6 year old daughter and our wiener dogs. Needless to say we were put in a smoking room with a bed that was too small and bed sheets that smelled like they were not changed out. When I booked the room, I made sure it was a NO SMOKING room, a KING size bed. We had to stay in a really nasty smoke filled room that smelled like dirty scuzzy people had slept in the bed previously! We got no sleep mainly because of the smell and ended up with bad headaches, and smelly clothes. I went to the front desk to deal with it first thing in the morning. The people at the front desk were not very friendly. I had to cancel the rest of our stay with Expedia and move to another hotel room. The manager of the University Inn would not even talk with us personally. I had to go through the gal at the front desk. The manager would not comp our miserable night or even give us a discount let alone an apology for the inconvenience they put us through. The whole changing the pet policy and Expedia not changing it on their website was not OUR PROBLEM, that was something they should of had worked out. I would not go back to this hotel even if it was for free. Since when is it OK to make a family from out of state feel like it was their problem and punish the family ...WHY WOULD A HOTEL THINK ITS OK TO PUT A FAMILY WITH A CHILD IN A SMOKING ROOM?????!!!!!! HORRIBLE, HORRIBLE EXPERIENCE AND BAD CUSTOMER SERVICE AND STINKY NASTY GHETTO ROOMS.......

Room Tip: Disgusting and horrible customer service, I would never go back even if it was for free!
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
eugeneuniversityinn, Director of Sales at University Inn & Suites, responded to this review, August 28, 2012
Thank you for your feedback. We realize that your experience was not what you expected. It is unfortunate that it became such an ordeal. It should be noted, and also clarified for future guests:

*The University Inn & Suites is not a pet friendly hotel.*

There was, indeed, a reservation made for a room type that the hotel no longer possessed. Nevertheless, accommodations were made. To the hotel's credit, they did allow this guest, and their pets, to stay in a "Not Pet Friendly" room, because of the error. They also helped this guest to not be charged the heavy fees that would have been incurred for cancelling their reservation later than the hotel or Expedia.com's policies.

While the error is certainly not the guests problem, but a complication at the reservation source; it was also not an error by the hotel or the hotel staff. Every effort was made to rectify the situation when the guests checked into the room, and efforts were continued even after they expressed their dissatisfaction.

DPR

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2012 via mobile

My family and I stayed at university suites during the Olympic trials in June. The hotel is right by the university and we couldnt have asked for a better location.The hotel looks a bit dated from the outside but from the inside the rooms were clean with nice furniture a plus I wouldn't have suspected. The staff was friendly, especially the morning manager brianna. The breakfast could have had more to offer but the kids loved the make your own waffles.

• Stayed June 2012
eugeneuniversityinn, Front Office Manager at University Inn & Suites, responded to this review, July 22, 2012
University Inn & Suites and staff is delighted that you enjoyed your stay at our establishment during the Olympic Trials. It means a great deal to us that you took time in writing this review on our hotel and that you found our location to be of convenience. We could not ask for a better location, being right across from the University of Oregon and walking distance to nearby restaurants and shops. Our hotel has recently updated all of our rooms and has installed brand new furniture and flat screen televisions and we are so happy you were able to enjoy these amenities during your stay. We are currently in the process of adding more variety to our breakfast selection in order to insure guest satisfaction and are glad that your children enjoyed our waffles! Thank you again for choosing University Inn & Suites as your place of stay while in Eugene and we hope to host your lodging needs on your next visit.
Roseburg, Oregon
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2012

The whole family, (6 adults) went to the Prefontaine track meet at Hayward field. We got two rooms. The place was clean, had plenty of parking, a pool, and was located right down the street from the track. the continental breakfast left something to be desired, but the good staff made up for it. The motel is within close walking distance to a grocery store, pharmacy and restaurants. We will be staying there again, as we are making the track meet an annual event!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
, Front Office Manager at University Inn & Suites, responded to this review, July 1, 2012
University Inn & Suites would like to thank you for this thoughtful review. We make it our goal to provide our guests with not only comfortable lodging, but comfortable lodging at an affordable price. We are so very pleased that you found our establishment to be of a good value, clean, and convenient. In regards to your concern with our breakfast options, we are currently discussing better options in order to provide better service in that area. Again, we thank you that you took time to write this considerate review and we look forward to serving you during your next visit to the Eugene area. Safe travels!
Larkspur, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2012

Strongly recommend NOT to stay here: 1) although I had a deluxe queen reserved - with confirmation - was given two double beds in a std. room, and not the room that had been confirmed; 2) was charged $2.00 for using Movies that were not watched/ordered; even when this was brought to the attention of the office, the charge was not removed; 3) breakfast is available from 5: 30 - 9: 00 , even on the weekend; get real, guests ( which University Inn DOES NOT KNOW HOW TO TREAT) want to sleep in a bit, AND the continental breakfast they serve gets empty soon and they DO NOT refill; 4) poor office staff responsiveness to problems. There are other motels close by - USE THEM!!

Room Tip: Do Not Stay Here!!
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to review our propety. Your opinions are a great tool to help our management team better understand what may be lacking in terms of service and guest satisfaction. It is our goal to understand the perspective of each and every reviewer, and make those changes that will best suit our guests' needs.

Thank you for your valuable input.

Santa Rosa CA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2012

My daughter and I were touring U of O Eugene. We made our reservations rather late in the game. The University Inn is right across the street from the arena. It was really nice to not have to park on campus. The facility reflects the very reasonable rates. It's oldish. Next time we might very well spring for something else in the area if possible. If the rates are considerably higher (which I expect) we will stay here again.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
eugeneuniversityinn, Front Office Manager at University Inn & Suites, responded to this review, June 12, 2012
University Inn & Suites would like to thank you for taking the time in writing this thoughtful review. We are so pleased you choose our location for your place of lodging. It is our priority to provide our guests with a convenient location and a comfortable stay for the right price and it is our pleasure that we could accommodate you with this. When you do return to the Eugene area, we hope that you will give us another opportunity to serve your lodging needs.

We thank you again,

University Inn & staff
Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2012

The first night of a month's holiday to the south, I lost my wallet including all cards and cash. No matter how much I searched, I could not find it and had to travel on. When I returned home I had a letter from Tina Patel, manager of the University Inn, telling me that my wallet had been found. The remarkable thing is that the wallet had gone through 3 staff shifts before it arrived on her desk with all cards and cash intact. It is a story that bears telling and everyone I tell it to finds it amazing and heartwarming that there are good and honest people such as Tina Patel and her staff at the University Inn & Suites. Thank you once again.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends
Thank you for writing this review. Too often, visitors find that something has been left behind in their hotel room. It is a hotel's duty to return these items to their rightful owner. We believe that common courtesy can and should be practiced more often than they are. And we will continue to try to lead by example, even in the face of contention.

Singapore, Singapore
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2011

I stayed at this motel in November this year as I needed to be picked up by airport shuttle to go to Portland, OR (the only motel that the shuttle company would pick up). The room was ok - clean but old. However, I couldn't book online, and had to give credit card number over the phone. I felt uneasy but had to do it.

After a week of my stay, I realized my credit card was charged several times in small amount. Had to cancel my credit card. Beware of this motel - unscrupulous staff.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled solo
eugeneuniversityinn, Director of Sales at University Inn & Suites, responded to this review, December 23, 2011
In response to this review, the Trip Advisor team responsible for reporting erroneous reviews, has been notified of the following:

We have no record of this guests' stay at the University Inn & Suites property at any time, on any date, nor specifically in November of 2011. It appears that this review is in error, and that the accuser has incorrectly accused this property of mistreatment.

So too, the University Inn & Suites has many methods of making reservations on-line. Each of which has specific policies about the necessity for a credit card to secure a reservation. It is, in fact, this hotels policy to demand a credit card be on file for ALL rooms rented. Regardless of the guests' final payment preferrences. We do allow guests to pay with cash at the time of check in or check out. However, there must always be a valid credit card with enough funds to cover the cost of the rental room and a specified percentage beyond that required amount, for incidental purposes.

Also, though it is unfortunate, this property does not have a shuttle of any kind; nor do we have a shuttle service that is exclusive to our property. We are truly saddened that your trip to Eugene was not as you would have preferred. However, we can assure you that, the next time you are in Eugene, if you come and stay with us at the Eugene ~ University Inn & Suites, you will be pleased with your stay.

Thank you for taking the time to share your experiences with others. I hope this review response clarifies any misunderstanding about the Universty Inn & Suites property.

DP Robillard, CHO

Been to University Inn & Suites? Share your experiences!