“Good value for one night stay, but maybe not for kids or single women.” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Travelers Inn Eugene

You added Travelers Inn Eugene to your Saves list
Travelers Inn Eugene
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   540 E Broadway, Eugene, OR 97401   |
Ranked #23 of 33 Hotels in Eugene
Port Coquitlam, Canada
“Good value for one night stay, but maybe not for kids or single women.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2011

My wife and I stayed for one night, arriving late and leaving the next morning. The room was okay, and the continental breakfast included fresh fruit, which was nice! The only downside is the location -- right next to a 7-11 with some seemingly shady goings-on. As long as you're not freaked-out by that sort of thing, it's okay. Probably not the best place for families with small children or single women travelling alone.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Richmond, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2011

Travelers Inn stands next to the old U.S. Highway 99, between the University of Oregon and downtown Eugene. I used to stay at other motels on the same “strip” of Highway 99, including hotels that are newer, have bigger rooms, or boast more amenities. But I have settled on Travelers Inn, so that this was my third stay there (24 December 2010 to 2 January 2011). I return to Travelers Inn because it is like the America where I grew up: a small, unpretentious family business. The managers live on the premises and are very much in evidence, maintaining the property, tending flowers, taking care of the guests’ needs. And I like the way the parents and their teenage children work together. They remember me, and I feel safe.

I always stay in room 216. There, I sit snug at my table next to the window with a view of Broadway below and the people who walk past. In warm weather, guests sit on the balconies and watch the world go by. I park my bike on my balcony, where it is out of the reach of thieves. Each balcony of this and the neighbor rooms is recessed; a wall separates it visually from the others.

Rooms on the south of the motel have no balconies. They are probably quieter because they do not face the street.

I reviewed this motel in 2009. Since then, the owners upgraded the bathroom in unit 216 with an immaculate vanity cabinet/sink and a new shelf for toiletries. The faucet has separate hot and cold handles (rather than a single lever) which turn off and on precisely.

The spacious, clean, well-lit tile-lined shower has a similar pleasing detail: straightforward hot and cold faucets. I like these better than the newfangled single-lever jobs where you have no control over the volume. The shower is large enough that there’s no leak or splash into the rest of the bathroom. It’s not prefab; it appears to have been constructed in place when the unit was built.

Literally next door to the motel, Burrito Boy is open 24 hours, a delicious, local business where the employees speak Spanish among themselves. Burrito Boy has an “all night diner” look, reminiscent of Edward Hopper’s painting Nighthawks or its reinterpretation, Boulevard of Broken Dreams by Gottfried Helnwein.

A few blocks to the west, in Eugene’s Downtown, are Adam’s Sustainable Table, Ambrosia, and Zenon Café.

A few blocks to the south and east are Café Siena (my favorite for breakfast—fast and mouth-watering and as highly spiced as you want, where the employees speak Spanish), Glenwood Café, University of Oregon Bookstore, Smith Family Bookstore, Eugene’s Flower Home, and many other local businesses, as well as the University itself with the Knight Library and the Jordan Schnitzer Museum of Art.

Eugene has been a hitchhikers’ hub for decades. The area between the University of Oregon and Highway 99 gets a lot of traffic: foot, bicycle, car. Of the many passersby, some will be dishonest and some down-and-out. I originally went to Travelers Inn because the review of a nearby ritzier place complained that the reviewer’s car had been either stolen or prowled in that expensive motel’s lot. I feel that my car is safer at Travelers Inn, where guests park in a highly visible, small, front lot, frequented by the family who run the place and in plain view of the arterial street and of guests.

Disclaimers: With its king-sized bed, Room 216 is snug. And in the winter, don’t expect flowers outside the motel.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled on business
Battle Ground, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2010

Stayed at the Travelers for my first time in 2010.
As usual everything was fantastic. I made the reservation via email. Upon Check In I was met by the owner and did the reservation paperwork and payment with him.
The hotel is walking distance to many restaurants, the U of O, Autzen Stadium and Hayward Field. I didn't drive my car in two days.
Owners are very friendly with any problem or situation that could possibly come up.
I would stay there again!!!

• Stayed November 2010, traveled solo
Bandon, Oregon
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2010

The room I stayed in seemed rather quaint, but it had been upgraded to modern amenities. Vinyl windows, clean bathroom, bed was clean and comfortable, in-room coffee, microwave and refrigerator. I thought I would have trouble sleeping because I could hear the train in the afternoon when I checked in. However, I didn't hear a thing that night. I slept very soundly. The motel is situated close to the campus and all the restaurants one would want to try. I would highly recommend staying here if you didn't want to pay for the spaciousness and luxury of a high-end motel with all the extra pillows, etc., that just get in your way.l

• Stayed July 2010, traveled on business
New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2010

Traveler's Inn in Eugene offers that rarest of combination-- reasonable prices, clean comfortable rooms, convenient location, and friendly staff. Convenient to both U of O campus and downtown Eugene, offering a generous AAA discount, Traveler's Inn can't be beat. Highly recommended!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled solo
benicia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2010

convenient , quiet, clean rooms , and pleasant staff. would recommend highly

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
Baker City, Oregon
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2010

This modest motel was a real surprise and joy to us. Our room on the second floor had a balcony, and all the windows opened for cool night breeze enjoyment. We barely used the air conditioning. The tile shower was squeaky clean, a good barometer of the level of attention to cleanliness. The sink was an upgrade, and was a high-dollar addition with a faucet set seldom seen in small motels. Our inexpensive room featured a microwave and small refrigerator and coffee maker. Ice was available downstairs. The queen bed had a fresh new covering, and pretty floral sheets. Everything smelled fresh!

In addition, our host Dilip Patel and his family showed genuine friendliness and gave valuable and unexpected assistance when we had car trouble. His help was a godsend to us, and we parted as friends.

We recommend Travelers Inn for anyone passing through Eugene, and so so without hesitation or question.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Travelers Inn Eugene? Share your experiences!