“typical college campus hotel, don't expect much” 1 of 5 stars

Special Rate
December Discount Days
Ranked #6 of 19 Eugene B&B and Inns
Orlando
“typical college campus hotel, don't expect much”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2011

We were passing through Eugene and needed a place to stay. The Excesior Inn was a Foder's Choice and since we had been pleased with their other recommendations we made the reservation. It was terrible. The reviews and claims all said formal hotel in casual town, marble bath, cherry floors etc. pre-finished floors, no crown molding, plastic shower rings, holes in the sheets (itchy too)... none of what we experienced should have landed this inn as a Foder's Choice let along even mentioned in Foder's. The staff was very nice and pleasant and the breakfast included was the only redeeming quality about this stay. Would not recommend to anyone, unless you want to be in the middle of Oregon State University and do not care where you are sleepign. The few bed and breakfast's in town were all sold out, but there is a Holiday Inn up the road, I would opt for that if I were you.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
seattle
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2011

When we visit family in Eugene, we always stay at the Excelsior. The rooms are small but well appointed. The location is conveniently located 2 blocks from the U of O campus. There is off street parking which is a plus in this neighborhood. The price is great and there is a full (delicious) breakfast included. This is our spot in Eugene!

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2011

We were very pleased the service, the accomodations, the location (one block from campus), and the overall value.

We stayed in the Haydn room, which was comfortable -- it's not huge but the photos on the website are an accurate representation. The window is on the alley, not the road, so it was quiet . The WiFi seemed a little slow at times but it was good enough for our non-business purposes. The tea station in the second floor hallway is a nice touch.

Breakfast was good, the selection of entrees varied daily, service was attentive and prompt, and the portions were"'right-sized" -- neither minsucle "art food" nor overstacked. We also had two dinners at the Excelsior, and were very pleased with the menu, the wine selection, and the general ambience.

Although I had heard the street was busy, that is a non-issue. The Inn is set back from the road, which kept it quiet, and the walled garden helps make it seem more tranquil.

Similarly, some reviews had focused on the parking situation, but the staff went out of their way to help, and we were never "parked in" for long.

Overall, a great experince, and it will be my first choice whenever I am in Eugene, for lodging as well as dinner.

Room Tip: Haydn Room is quiet and a very good value
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
Denver, Colorado, USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2011

Due to an airline changing our flight times, we stayed a night in Eugene to be able to catch an early flight the next day. The staff is minimal but the experience is not. The rooms were very well appointed after a fine renovation. The amenities numerous. The Italian restaurant (The Italian owner is the chef) with its homemade pasta was fabulous. Dine outside if the weather permits. Dessert is on the house after dinner. Breakfast is if you have stayed the night. I had Eggs Benedict and freshly squeezed OJ. Wonderful. The hotel is two blocks from the U of Oregon and in a college commercial area. Free parking. I would not spend the time looking for anywhere else if staying again in Eugene.

Room Tip: The Schuman and Schubert rooms are as advertised. Nice but for a single as they are
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2011

This is my 2nd trip advisor review in 4 years. I find them helpful so I will try to make mine useful. I've now stayed at the Excelsior about 5 times over the past 2 1/2 years. I LOVE IT!! First, it's NOT a hotel! It's a very unique inn situated by the University of Oregon. The staff is exceptionally friendly and helpful. The Inn is super clean. The restaurant food is outstanding. They have an immense wine list, European-type baking made by a woman clearly dedicated to the Inn (and European born)--i.e. it's not yukky sweet american baking, rather it's fantastic baking like you'd want for a fine dinner or wedding or special occassion. Some of the rooms are indeed small--the Schubert and Shuman room are small. But, I've also stayed there with my boyfriend and my suitcase and a cooler and his stuff and we were fine. If you want more space, definitely get one of the larger rooms. No showers in the smaller rooms. Be advised--the walls are thin and so you need to be thoughtful at night and not crank up the tv like my neighbors did (first time in the 5 visits this happened, when i told staff in the morning they said next time call the emerg number..and they discounted my room for me). When I stay alone, I can easily access transportation, local great food, the UO bookstore, Cafe Roma..so it's great! I love the magazines they offer too, all kinds of neat ones about Oregon wines, travels, tourist things..and interesting things going on. I went to the UO Art Museum again after seeing the brochure at the front desk. It's not your typical B and B nor is it a hotel. But if you want something very clean, really quite reasonably priced, with amazing breakfasts and other restaurant food, and a nice place to stay, this is it!

Room Tip: book ahead!
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled solo
Los Angeles
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2011

Hubby and I stayed here for a night during a trip up to Oregon (my in-laws stayed for two nights). The Excelsior exceeded our expectations with nice little touches (hazelnuts in the room, dark chocolate coins, Pelligrino, plenty of movies to choose from in our room, coffee and tea all day, robes). I've always been partial to B&Bs for their charm, and the Excelsior certainly did not disappoint. As my FIL put it, they don't skimp on anything here. Plus, we are all particularly fond of the Greene & Greene, craftsman style, so this certainly hit the mark. The location adjacent to the university was a selling point for my in-laws, who've both taught at and attended the U of O.
Though hubby and I opted for the tiny little Schubert, we found it comfortable enough for us and our three bags. The bed was great as well as the shower once we got the hot water going. There's not much of a view from any window, but the rooms were cute enough that we didn't feel like we were missing anything. We had a third floor room, so it was bright enough, but the in-laws' Brahms was on the second floor, which felt a little darker because of the building shadowing it next door. But it didn't seem to bother them too much.
Breakfast the next morning was great. Hubby had eggs benedict and I the specialty quiche. We both enjoyed our meals. Unfortunately, I don't think my in-laws were quite as content. We had arrived ahead of my in-laws and were done with our meal pretty quickly. However, for some reason, their service was very slow, even though no other guest were there and we were already done. My MIL was not happy with the fact that she was served cold coffee as well. But like I said, service was good for us, not so great for them.
Overall, for the price paid and quality of lodging, I would say that the Excelsior Inn is completely worth it.

Room Tip: If you need light, opt for a room on the third floor.
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Seattle, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2011

The Excelsior was my favorite hotel of a long road trip. It might be one of my favorite hotels ever. The staff were lovely, the building charming and our room was beautiful. I'm still thinking about the bed. Would go back in a heartbeat.

The only caveat was the speed of breakfast. We were on vacation and in the mood for a leisurely meal but you might want to warn the waitress upfront if you're in a hurry.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Excelsior Inn? Share your experiences!