“Best in the western” 5 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Madrid
“Best in the western”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2008

I did a roadtrip from SF to Seattle and this was my best choice of motel. It is more expensive than a red roof inn or motel 6, but it has a lot of amenities like an indoor pool or a small gym. The room was very very clean and it has free wifi internet access in the room. There are some restaurants nearby and Eugine seems to be a good place to stop.

• Stayed August 2008
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
Vancouver, Washington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2007

We had no reservation but rain hit and it was time to get off the Harley. We stopped here and at first the hotel its self didn't look like much..but looks can be deceiving. the lobby was nice so we took a room. Well I have to say we were greatly surprised the room was very nice with to easy chairs a huge king size bed and the best pillows I have slept on at any hotel. Staff was friendly and helpful and they had a great continental breakfast. Hot coffee , Juice muffins fresh fruit ETC.

• Liked — Nice big room
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed October 2007
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Brookings OR
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2007

The 2 rooms offered were so bad, we had no choice but to drive an additional 6 hours ( 10 hours total) through fair traffic and go home ( no rooms in Eugene or Florence) ! Both rooms offered to us reeked of pet urine and a strong chemical odor. We asked for the other section and were told by the manager no "queen" units were there. The manager could care less that they had no other "queen rooms" to offer and made no attempt to offer us something different. Initially I was told by the front desk person cash was not accepted & he could not check us in. Later the manager stated we could pay with cash at checkout. I made our reservation 3 weeks prior because with the fair going on, decent rooms would not be available (previous experience). Again, we had the distinct feeling they didn't care if we took the room or not, they would find someone else. We were left with no choice but to leave. The manager would not give a cancellation confirmation until I firmly insisted on verification. We previously stayed here with decent service. It was obvious the overall service/condition had declined. We found the personnel much less professional both in appearance and manner. We would not recommend this hotel to anyone!!

• Liked — Nothing!
  • Disliked — Didn't stay due to extremely poor rooms and personnel
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Medford, OR
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2007

I stayed in this motel for my annual trip to the Black Sheep Gathering at the Fairgrounds. I, too, was irked at the lack of coordination between the Best Western corporation and the local facilities for reservations. It was obviously an older motel, but the lobby was very nicely done and all the desk staff I encountered were professional and friendly. My room was 101, right next to the lobby, good location, covered parking right out front. The single king room was spacious and the furnishings fairly new. There was a small refrigerator and an iron and ironing board. The bathroom was small, but nicely done with a tile floor. The vanity space was limited to the wash stand and the top of the toilet. It had all the usual amenities. I brought one of the luggage stands in for extra room. In the midst of all this modernity was a flashback to the 70s: the hairdryer was one of those square things mounted on the wall with a vacuum cleaner type hose ending in a square opening. Total oomph was a whopping 700 watts. Bring your own if you want your hair dried quickly. The breakfast was typical, breads, juices, coffee, cereals.
That was the alpha part.

The omega was that the electric blue rug had not been updated with the furniture. It was dirty, sticky and there was a slight but noticeable smell of old urine that was not masked by the spray. And on top of that the blanket on the bed was smelly. I had to reverse it top to bottom so that it was usable; I also did that with the bedspread, but I always do that because you never know what's been on it. I didn't ask for a new blanket or request a new room because it was late.

I informed the staff and filled out a comment card when I checked out. It's a shame, because everything else about the facility was really nice. But I won't stay here again.

• Stayed June 2007, traveled solo
East Coast
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2007

Checked in here after fleeing from the Days Inn down the block. This hotel was such a treat with comfortable bedding, a balcony overlooking a tree lined path and a small river, a nice breakfast area and a wonderful indoor pool and hot tub. And it's right across the street from the Univ. of Oregon.

• Stayed April 2007
Portland, OR
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2006

The Best Western New Oregon is a good option when visiting the University of Oregon. The hotel is right across the street from campus. Several places to eat are within walking distance.

My room was exceptionally clean and very quiet. The room (1 queen bed) had a table as well as a desk, which came in handy. The free wireless Internet was great, too. The staff were very friendly at check-in, and let me leave my car in their lot the following day while I did some research at UO.

The hotel has an indoor pool and saunas, too.

I will stay here the next time I'm in Eugene.

• Liked — Location, Cleanliness
  • Tips/Secrets — If possible, leave your car in the hotel's lot and walk to campus
  • Stayed December 2006, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Seattle, WA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2006

We've beey staying at the New Oregon for years, and they've never let us down. The rooms are clean and spacious and the bed firm and comfy. The place is generally well-kept up and looks great (was the last reviewer looking at the same property?? Hard to believe!) The location is convenient to campus, restaurants, and the freeway. The trick is to make sure to reserve a balcony room in the back, overlooking the Millrace. You'll have a lovely, private place to sit outside, looking down on a peaceful stream. Be sure to bring some bread to feed the ducks!

• Liked — feeding the ducks in the Millrace from our balcony
  • Tips/Secrets — reserve a room in back, with a balcony overlooking the Millrace
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to BEST WESTERN New Oregon Motel? Share your experiences!