“The Perfect B & B” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 19 Eugene B&B and Inns
Potomac, MD
“The Perfect B & B”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2007

C'est La Vie, my first B & B experience was excellent, a definite ‘must’ for the connoisseurs of hospitality. Surprisingly, not one aspect of the C’est La Vie may be criticized. We stayed in a variety of rooms; the Monet, the Gauguin and the Casablanca. All rooms were meticulously decorated, clean, quiet, comfortable, with fine linen and large, updated bathrooms. Our favorite room was the Casablanca, which provided plenty of space for us and a refrigerator well stocked with welcomed, gratis drinks. My requests were quickly accommodated including resetting the temperature thermostats in our room. Although the historic house restorations and immaculate garden are more than perfectly delightful, hospitality set this property apart from any other. Usually I prefer to be left alone, however, I found myself spending time with the proprietors, Ann Marie and Jack because they are interesting, very nice and warm people. The housekeeper was also lovely, insisting we take several pieces of fresh blueberry blintz casserole with me when we departed.

Stayed August 2007

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2007

A great experience provided by great hosts. Tastefully decorated rooms in a beautifully restored mansion. I liked the sign at the entrance: "A not so Victorian B&B". It represents correctly the atmosphere in the house.

We had one of the smaller rooms - the Gogen. It was very comfortable and nicely kept. They have opened a year ago and have had a constant stream of guests but the room looked as if they have opened yesterday. I hope they will keep the same quality in the future as well.

The neighbourhood and the house are tranquil and very appropriate for a week-long retreat. The garden has several nice places to sit and have a drink or read a book and the rooms have nice working areas were one feels compelled to forgo e-mails and write old-fashioned letters.

We will definitely return here for a longer stay.

• Liked — the whole experience
  • Disliked — cannot think of anything
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Venice, FL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2007

This is a magnificently restored Victorian landmark. The rooms are very clean and tastefully decorated, and every comfort is available. The extensive gardens are a destination in themselves, very well planned with an extraordinary array of unusual specimens. Breakfasts are not elaborate, but well-presented. C'est la vie is one of the best of the many bed-and-breakfast experiences we've had.

Stayed July 2007
Duvall, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2007

The C’est La Vie Inn is in the center of town and offers a peaceful, elegant and very private high-end hotel experience. I was greeted at the door by Madame Lizet at this beautifully restored Victorian home. She gave me keys to the door and my room. My room was luxurious. I stayed in the Gauguin room with all of Gauguin’s colors and fabrics reminiscent of his paintings. The antique bed featured high quality sheets with a fluffy duvet and blanket beneath it. Needless to say, sleep came effortlessly. Tired after a day of shopping in Eugene, I watched a little TV on the room’s TV. I put my clothes away in authentic antiques. I could either purchase a local area wine outside of my room on an antique bench with glasses and an opener, or go down to the butler’s pantry and select gratis offerings of water, soda, and a variety of snacks if I had a late night craving. (If you are lucky, Anne-Marie will have the cookie jar full of her home made cookies!)

The bathroom had lavender scented shampoo, conditioner, shower gel, and body lotion, all laid out on a table along with a hair dryer. The towels were amply stocked, and the bathrobe fluffy. Every surface was clean and sparkling.

Breakfast was extraordinary. It is served in the grand Victorian dining room which overlooks the extensive gardens, seating areas, and pathways through the grounds. Madame Lizet served a delicious frittata accompanied by excellent coffee, an assortment of fresh fruit- berries, mangos, and bananas, fresh orange juice and a choice of banana bread or French bread. She also had on hand soy milk and other specialty foods. After breakfast, I sat in the parlor where the grand piano rests across from a warming fireplace, and read the local paper.

This experience was reminiscent of my younger days running through elegant hotels filled with game rooms, private parlors, and spacious lush grounds. My stay was not just in a room, but in a home. It is an experience I have repeated many times. I could go on and on about the restoration itself, but as an interior designer and artist I must stick to the details of warmth and comfort as well as genuine friendliness this Inn has to offer.

I would certainly recommend this experience to anyone that is seeking out a private escape back to luxury and elegance. A family reunion, a wedding party, or a private place for a single soul or couple would all find C’est La Vie Inn the experience to be remembered and repeated, often.

• Liked — I felt that I was pampered by the Innkeeper as well as the room itself.
  • Disliked — No complaints here.
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Bend, Oregon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2007

The C'est La Vie Inn is in a beautifully restored Victorian house in a quiet neighborhood not far from downtown. We had a lovely room that was both comfortable and immaculately clean. The house has a large garden area that guests are invited to enjoy. The Innkeeper is from Paris and she makes you feel very welcome. Breakfast was filling with fresh fruit, eggs, pancakes, sausage and juice. They serve as much from organic sources as possible and the meal was delicious. Unlike hotels that are closer to downtown, the train that goes through Eugene every few hours can barely be heard from the Inn. We've definitely found the place to stay for our visits to Eugene.

Phoenix, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2007

We were just passing through town and we were lucky enough to stumble upon this gem of a place! This home has been elegantly restored - there is much love here, without all of the knick-knacks that you tend to find at some B&B's. The owners are very much involved in this property - from the high quality linens to the hearty, home cooked breakfast! We absolutely enjoyed every moment of our stay and we look forward to "passing through" Eugene again, just so that we can stay here! It is a very special place with great energy!

• Liked — The character of the place & attention to detail
  • Disliked — That it is in Eugene - other than passing through, I don't think we'd have much reason to travel there
  • Tips/Secrets — Stay at least two nights and enjoy your room!
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to C'est La Vie Inn? Share your experiences!