“Counter culture gone mainstream” 4 of 5 stars

5th Street, Eugene, OR
Improve this listing
Ranked #130 of 532 Restaurants in Eugene
Cuisines: American
Description: This market has many different cuisine restaurants plus a wonderful kitchen store and a fantastic brand new hotel. Everyone can get a different meal - all of which are superb.
Eugene, Oregon
“Counter culture gone mainstream”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2012

This place was once a chicken processing factory. In the 1970's it was opened as a market for craftpeople and became an incubator for small business. It is now an upscale place.

Visited August 2012

Redlands, California
“Hidden treasure in plain sight”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2012

If I hadn't read the in-room magazine I wouldn't have found out that this great international cafeteria was within walking distance from my hotel.
I had seen small ads here and there for some of these cafes, but I didn't know they were all in one location.

I wanted to eat at all of the restaurants and cafes there, but the food was so unique, amazing and truly delicious at the three cafes I ate at, that I didn't get to try more.

Glendi's greek restaurant is delicious. The lasagna was great, but the lamb dish was really something else. I love that Glendi is there in the kitchen making dinner for customers, it really feels like home cooking - which is nice when you're on the road for weeks.

Bricks was my longest stop. I went for their house burger which had a gorgonzola encrusted beefsteak tomato in it along with the aioli, but as I ordered it, I saw them serve up a pastrami sandwich and I had to change my order. The pastrami has become my new standard. Quality meat, the bread was just right - not to soft, not too tough. The coleslaw that they serve in it makes it stand above and beyond any other pastrami I've ever had. The fries and special spicy ketchup was really good too. I did return for the burger and was equally impressed. Then I went back for another pastrami. Get there early in your trip to try out all their great sandwiches.

El Pato is in the back of the cafeteria and they serve great breakfast burritos all day. I was trying to decide between a burrito and their steak and eggs dish. The price of the steak and eggs was really low so I went with that but it ended up being a regrettable choice. Now I know why it was so inexpensive - meat like that should not be served and called a steak :(
However, their burrito has made me a fan of burritos, so I did return for breakfast burritos.

I didn't get to try out the other places there, but there are more. The dining room is kept clean by great staff and the noise level isn't bad considering it's an open space. I only wish they were open later than 7 p.m.

All of these places had amazing customer service!!

Visited August 2012