“Don't Waste Your Money” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #10 of 481 Restaurants in Eugene
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: French, American, European, Bistro
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Off-Street Parking, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Street Parking, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: The world is a village, welcome to ours. We are a european village-inspired restaurant featuring pre-prohibition cocktails, a small but growing wine list and local craft beers and spirits. We look forward to seeing you.
Eugene
“Don't Waste Your Money”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2012

Horrible! One of the most irritating, obnoxious dining experiences I’ve ever had.

Four of us arrived for dinner and first ordered cocktails. Upon asking the bartender if there was a happy hour, he replied that cocktails are $6 all the time, so it’s “always happy hour.” Anticipating an eternal happy hour, we were taken aback when the drinks arrived in munchkin-sized glasses. The drinks were good, but for $6, this was no bargain and it certainly didn’t qualify as happy hour. Our second round of drinks took twenty minutes to arrive—understandable if it’s busy, but we were the only customers there, so this made no sense. It was also strange that the bartender stood gazing at his reflection in the window and adjusting his hair as we decided on our drinks.

We ordered the pate appetizer and were shocked when it arrived with only four tiny pieces of bread. When we later asked for more bread, we were told it would cost $2 for four more pieces! With a name like Rye, you would think they’d at least be generous with the bread, but this came across as downright miserly. In addition, since this is a “new” restaurant, you would think they would be trying to woo return service by not skimping on simple things like bread. We were told by our waitress that one of the pates listed on the menu was not available, but this was because they rotated different pates. Well that’s fine, but it would be helpful to state this on the menu for the customer. We were looking forward to having the chicken liver pate only to learn that it wasn’t available. The pates that they did serve turned out to be mediocre and nothing to write home about.

We also ordered a bottle of wine, which we waited twenty minutes for. After the waitress opened it and poured a tasting, the person in our party who tasted it thought wine was off and so passed it around for other opinions. We all thought the wine tasted bad and communicated this to the waitress. Rather than offer to take it back and ask that we choose another wine, her attitude was that if you ordered and tasted it, you bought it. Why even go through the tasting ritual if you’re not going to honor the results?

Turns out, though, that the bad wine was well paired with mostly bad food. The pork chop was utterly tasteless and a disservice to the pig who gave its life only to end up in the kitchen at Rye. The side salad with mixed greens and nothing else was uninspired and boring. The chopped salad was so forgettable I can’t recall the name or toppings and only know that the person who ordered it bravely soldiered through. The lamb tagine, however, was truly outstanding, although you can’t be sure how much of that was owing to the contrast with the other sad entrees.

Worst of all, though, was the service. The person who first served us knew very little about the food and was arrogant at the same time. After serving the appetizers and wine, our server vanished and was replaced by a succession of three other servers, all of whom displayed a similar hauteur. We all began to feel that we were somehow imposing on these people. Come on, Rye, you’re in a college town where an REI vest is considered formal dress. Drop the pretense and get real. We spent $200 on bad food, bad wine, and bad service. There’s nothing like leaving a restaurant and feeling like you’ve been fleeced and flipped off.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food

Eugene, Oregon
“Great atmosphere; disappointing service”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2012

I had wanted to try Rye. I went with my family on my birthday recently. I was incredibly surprised when our server not only failed to acknowledge my birthday but almost seemed dead set to ignore it. We were in a festive mood and there were wrapped packages piled on the table. At no time throughout the entire meal could she bring herself to utter the dread words "happy birthday." We had a good time anyway.

The atmosphere at Rye is very pleasant and comfortable. The vodka and tonics with the native rye vodka were tasty. Our meals were, I'm sorry to say, disappointing. My sister and I had the steak and frites. We took bites and looked at each other, wondering if the steak had "turned." Eventually we realized that the pairing of steak with anchovy butter was not the best of ideas. It just didn't go. I took most of my steak home and it tasted good the next day on a green salad. My brother-in-law, a duck lover, indulged in that fowl but was less than wowed. My father's Coq au vin looked the best. If you want an entree that is "stewed" (e.g. cassoulet) the menu seems accommodating.

Dessert was a real disappointment. The only choices were flan, chocolate mousse or individual chocolates for $2 each. We passed on dessert (no birthday dessert was offered) preferring to wait until we can share some decadent brownie sundae in celebration of my special day.

All in all it was adequate but not what I anticipated or hoped for. Especially in comparison to my lunch experience: I bought a humble Subway sandwich to go. When they found out it was my birthday they not only fussed over me but when I got back to my office I discovered the cashier had tucked a cookie into my bag. I felt like a million dollars!

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
“Great Lunch”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2012

Enjoyed a great lunch special of Coho in a nice atmosphere and at a fair price.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere