“Pleasant convenience” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #21 of 33 Hotels in Eugene
Nashville, Tennessee
“Pleasant convenience”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2013

If you are attending events at the University of Oregon, the location of this hotel could not be more convenient. I appreciated the helpful and friendly front desk and their willingness to let me leave my car beyond checkout. Our room overlooking the river was far from the construction but the occasional duck and goose squabbles were audible. The in-room fridge was a nice amenity and the pool was larger than most indoor hotel pools. It looks like we may have several Eugene trips in our future and I expect this to be our go-to home away from home.

Room Tip: Ask to overlook the river to be away from street noise.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Courtny O, Guest Service Manager at Phoenix Inn Suites Eugene, responded to this review, May 1, 2013
Thank you so much for your review of our Phoenix Inn! I love that your review touches on things that we strive for here at the Phoenix Inn. We are very proud of our centralized location to the Univeristy of Oregon's campus. Our main goal at the front desk is to make sure everyone leaves with smile and I couldn't be happier that we left you with that impression. We would be nothing but elated to make our hotel your "home away from home."

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Eugene, Oregon, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2013

So it looked like a pretty nice place from the outside... we were a little disconcerted when we arrived to hear a nail gun going as the building right next door was under construction. It would have been nice if this was mentioned? We did check in early, though, but considering that it was a 4PM checkin time, I think an early checkin is not saying very much. Went to our room... not the best. The decorations were a mix without any clear theme (including brass picture frames, 1980s?), there was a stain/spot on the floor that looked like some kind of food, and all of the furniture was scratched and dinged up pretty well. For a spa sweet I would expect better, especially for the price ($140 with taxes). The walls are paper thin, such that we could hear every single person going to and from their room. At 9ish that night it got even worse because some young (late teen or early 20's) girls were getting ready to go out and giggling and laughing and everything and I could hear every word. They managed to wake my son. Called and complained, they left about 10 minutes later. The bathroom was by far the worst, though. There was built up grime in the corners of the tiles and the room was about the size of a closet. You had to move to the side to close the door so that you could use the toilet, which was too short for me (I am 5'1, so that is really saying something... feel sorry for my husband, he is 6' and his knees were in his chest). Went to take a shower. No fan, so the steam was basically suffocating. And to top it off the wall paper was pealing at the top and had dirt smears near the bottom. Oh, and then went down to breakfast. The attendant was sitting on the counter in the kitchen eating, but had the audacity to tell me I could not be in there without shoes on. I know in restaurants that is an issue, but I should think in a hotel guests would be able to come down in their pajamas and relax and have an early morning meal. But I know her eating in the food prep area was a health code violation. I honestly do not think there was a single aspect of my stay here that would make me ever want to return. Go elsewhere. The Days Inn on Franklin was nicer for cheaper, that is pretty sad.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Berkeley, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2013

Nothing bad to say about the location, the dimensions of the rooms, cleanliness or the friendly staff. But . . . the hotel illustrates how you can make the least of having good bones and convenient site. The HVAC unit was one of the noisiest I have ever encountered, and the plumbing hardware was beyond the pale. I had to soak something in the sink and it was impossible because the drain plug did not plug. Not all hand held shower hardware is inconvenient, but the cheap stuff installed here was hard to use. And the towels were rough. I liked the HD TV but somehow the array of channels offered included FOX but not MSNBC. Don't know if it has to do with the conservative bend of the management company in Texas but it did seem odd, particularly in a liberal town like Eugene. Will probably look elsewhere when I visit again.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Kailua-Kona, Hawaii
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

Quick easy check in and check out. Price was good. Room was a bit larger then expected. HD TV in room. Free fast Internet. Plenty of parking. Breakfast was ok.
Worst thing was weak flushing toilet and shower/bath w bust drain plug just laying in bottom of tub.
I would stay again cause it was close to campus.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Florianopolis, SC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2013

If you're looking for a 5 star hotel, look elsewhere. This is a good hotel, one of those you look for when you want to stay in a small town. We were visiting our cousin who is studying at the U of O and we literally walked to the University. Very convenient. Decent breakfast, rather large and clean rooms, free parking and free internet. Easy check-in, easy check-out. Nice beds, good TV Channels choice.

What else do you want? I guess when I go to a small, low profile town like Eugene I don't want to stay at 4-5 stars hotels. If it was NY, maybe I would. But it just doesn't seem to make sense here.

This is a good choice if you're not a spoiled brat.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Snoqualmie, Washington
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2013

The rooms are very clean, and the staff is pleasant. Good location, and quality rooms.

This has to be the noisiest hotel I have ever stayed at though. It is very loud when either neighboring room or the room above flushes their toilet, runs their shower, or fills their Jacuzzi tub. When the plumbing is quiet, the room fridge ticks and sounds of running water. I am not sure what building is next door - but it appears to be a large building hosting an event, and all I can here is the constant bass from incredibly loud music. I gave up on trying to watch TV cause I couldn't hear anything over all this noise, and put in headphones to go to sleep.

Room Tip: Rooms on North side away from venue may be quieter. Rooms without Jacuzzi, assuming they stack Jacuz...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Alameda, CA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013

Stayed here about one year ago, enjoyed the stay, posted a nice review. This time, not so great. Seemed like I had the same room as before, and even with the same sink that drained poorly. Last time I overlooked it, didn't report it. Couple of problems this time, and at checkout the employee asked about my stay, I gave the following feedback: facility is getting worn, carpets, etc., had the same poorly draining sink that smelled, plus a mystery 7:30am wake up call I did not request. Instead of thanking me for the feedback the employee tried to justify the conditions as normal. No thanks. The location is fantastic but customer service and attention to detail has eroded.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family

Been to Phoenix Inn Suites Eugene? Share your experiences!