“Just good pizza” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Mezza Luna Pizzeria

Mezza Luna Pizzeria
2776 Shadow View Dr. (Crescent Village), & 933 Pearl St. (Downtown), Eugene, OR 97408-4610
541-743-2999
Description: Two locations in Eugene; other is downtown at 933 Pearl Street
Ft. Wayne, IN
“Just good pizza”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2013

I read the reviews before going to Mezza Luna and I expected a true NY style outstanding pizza, unfortunately what I got was simply just a good average pizza. Not really bad but not exceptional either, frankly I've had better thin crust at Pizza Hut, Domino's or Papa John's. Sorry but the reviews just don't agree with my taste. The crust was average in flavor, the ingredients were fresh but flavorless and the sauce was bland.

• Visited May 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

89% Recommend
Eugene, Or
“Great Pizza - Thin Crust Style”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2013

It is a bit jarring to see that a pizza parlor is rated as the #1 restaurant in Eugene; this in a town with dozens of very fine restaurants that go way beyond a simple pizza pie. But as I look at the top 15 or so restaurants as listed here - I see that most of them are speciality restaurants offering pizza, or ice cream or rice and beans etc. The ones listed are certainly some of the best in those categories - but most are not fine dining. Mezza Luna is no exception. Definitely one of the better pizza places in town if you like the thin crust style. One thing about this style - takeout does not work so well. By the time you get it home - the crust is soggy - which defeats one of the fine points of a thin crust - crispiness. So I would recommend eating your pizza there - and you will enjoy it. We like simple pizzas, either cheese or pepperoni - and they do a great job on those. Their caesar salad was huge and delicious. Service has always been very friendly and helpful. This is our new favorite pizza in town now that Bene Pizza is gone....bummer......

• 4 of 5 stars Food
Lakewood Pierce County, Washington
“As good as Italy”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2013

I lived in Italy for five years and this pizza is as good or better than most you get there. If you like your pizza with enough cheese to pave the Alcan highway, this place isn't for you, but if you like a thin, light, crisp crust with just enough toppings to give it a good flavor, this is the place. Well constructed salads too. One negative is the limited number (3) of on tap beers.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Spokane
“True NY Pizza in Eugene”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2013

My friend and I were walking by (we stayed at a nearby motel) and I saw somebody at the window eating a slice and knew it was good pizza. I'm a pizza "snob" in the sense that I had my first slice around 1958 in the Bronx and have lived and eaten pizza in at least ten states and three countries since and never had one quite right. This place, owned by a former New Yorker, has it down. My friend and I had a plain cheese pizza (the true test). Why is it so good? They use corn meal on the bottom of the oven to keep the crust both thin and crispy without being burnt, something nearly all pizza places stopped doing years ago because of cost, a savings which results in droopy, soggy 'thin' crust which also has to be way too thick. So if you like good pizza and want to know what it tasted like at its best, go here. I'm making a special trip back to Eugene with my wife just to have another pie (and go to the coast). If you like the loaf-of-bread approach to pizza like Chicago has foisted on the world, skip this place. If you're not sure, you will be after you eat here.

Sioux City, Iowa
“Great place for pizza”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2013

I was in Eugene on a business trip recently & dined here with friends. We enjoyed watching them hand-toss the pizza dough & enjoyed the pizza by the slice with a nice side salad & beers. Very reasonably priced! Not much for seating, so you have to keep your eyes open for a table if you plan to dine in. Appreciated the pizza by the slice, as we were staying in a hotel in the neighborhood with no frig or microwave available.