“Upscale Fast Food” 3 of 5 stars

Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Bend, Oregon
“Upscale Fast Food”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2011

This restaurant is located in what appears to be a somewhat upscale food court in the 5th St Markets, which is a nice collection of shops and boutiques. The menu for Noli is almost entirely pasta that runs around $10 with a salad included for another $1.50.

Noli is run like a fast food restaurant .... go to the counter, order, wait for your name to be called. That is where the similarity to a fast food restaurant ends. The salads were comprised of mixed very fresh greens together with imaginative dressings. I particularly enjoyed an anchovy vinaigrette.

The pasta entrees were accompanied by good quality toasted Italian bread. It was a little strange we had to ask for butter; I don't know if they offered olive oil/balsamic vinegar. My wife had Spaghetti Carbonara while my daughter had Penne ai Formaggi. The spaghetti was homemade, which was nice, but my wife found it to be just okay. She is usually very generous in rating food so I think this means that the dish is not bad but nothing special in terms of taste. My daughter seemed to enjoy her penne, but again it appeared to be nothing special. I enjoyed their lasagna, which is made with a very meaty ragu. It reminded me of homestyle comfort food. Wine and beer are offered.

Overall, I liked the idea of home made pasta, but it lacked a wow factor. i appreciate dishes that make me wonder how on earth to make them. Those at Noli made me think that I could come pretty close to duplicating them at home. That being said, the low prices for imaginative food make this a reasonably good place and I would probably go back. But since a wow factor was lacking in the dishes we had, I can only give it an average rating. Other diners who have written reviews appear to have had more of a "wow" experience with whatever they ordered, and I can see where that would be possible at Noli. Next time.

• Visited August 2011
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

Bend, Oregon
“Wonderful, fresh, affordable and perfect portions! Go Here!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2011

Do not miss Noli. It is the least expensive, freshest, tastiest, italian cuisine you will find yourself eating in forever. My daughter had the spaghetti and absolutely loved it. I tasted it and it was delicious. We both enjoyed our meals because the food is so fresh. I think they keep it affordable because they don't serve you gigantic portions that you will never eat anyway. We both left completely full and satisfied and my bank account was happy. My daughter is a swimmer so we can spend a lot of money on the road. I really appreciated being able to get such a quality meal at a reasonable price. Oh - the staff is also super friendly and I had a nice glass of wine and we went back another day and I had a nice beer. I would highly recommend unless you are looking for a romantic evening out. Otherwise the perfect place to get a wonderful meal.

• Visited July 2011
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“Quality Italian Food for a Great Price”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2011

The menu changes seasonally and the food is very authentic. This is the food court, a nice one, but it is not fancy. Friendly service, great value.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
eugene, OR
“Best Italian -- local and homemade”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2011

In the middle of Fifth Street Market, this Italian cafe is exceptional. Really good, homemade sauces. The Bolognese meat sauce is really tasty, with lots of meat. Add a fennel sausage to make a really fine meal. Basic pasta is under $10. Sausage adds $3. A side salad is only another $1.50. Could easily share. Worth visiting for lunch or dinner. Just wish the market had later dining hours.

• Visited June 2011
“Fantastic!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2010

We arrived close to closing time, but were welcomed warmly. The food was served quickly and just as we had specially ordered. Everything was delicious! What a find! Can't wait to visit Eugene again. Chef, staff, and food was fantastic!