“Good value but has its flaws” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #15 of 33 Hotels in Eugene
Portland, Oregon
“Good value but has its flaws”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2011

My wife and I were in town for the Eugene Marathon and we were pleased to find such a great rate, even on an extremely crowded weekend. Since the race started/ended at the university, the hotel was conveniently located. Due to being on a main street with a concrete median, it can be a little difficult getting in to the parking lot. And while I'm on the topic of the parking lot, it is very cramped and crowded. I was always able to find a spot, although it appeared that if you were to arrive late in the evening, there may not be a spot available.

My biggest complaint would have to be the customer service, namely from the front desk agent SHAUNA. We called a couple of days before our arrival with a few simple questions and were shocked at Shauna's rude demeanor as if we had inconvenienced her by calling. We wanted to see if they would be serving breakfast early since we (and the numerous other racers staying there) needed to leave the hotel by 6am. Shauna replied abruptly that breakfast would be served at 6am as usual. This turned out to be false but I'm not sure if she had been misinformed or simply didn't care enough to look for the correct information. We had the misfortune of meeting Shauna at the front desk on the day we arrived. We were a few hours before scheduled check-in so we inquired if a room might be available early. Without even blinking an eye, she told us that check-in was at 3pm, no exceptions. We asked if we could at least check our bags until check-in since I didn't want to leave them in the car. Again I was shocked when her snotty response was, "I have no place to put them!" Frustrated, we left to get food and wait until we could check in.

When we returned, we were pleased to see CHRIS at the front desk. His customer service was beyond excellent, as described by other previous reviews. He was very personable and we could tell it was his goal to make sure every guest enjoyed their stay. When we mentioned we were there for the race, he made sure we knew they were serving breakfast early. We even overheard him make multiple phone calls when trying to help a guest locate a mechanic who would be open on Sunday.

The spacious room was in great shape and very clean. It had a microwave and small refrigerator, although the fridge wasn't turned on when we got there. Luckily we noticed before too long and it wasn't a big deal, but it's something to keep an eye open for. There was a little street noise but I never once heard a train. The beds were comfortable and we slept great. I was also pleased with the quality of their free wi-fi. Our room appeared to be located directly above the lobby which is where the wireless router was located. So while we constantly had a strong wi-fi signal, I can't tell you what the quality is like on the other end of the hotel.

Overall, it's a nice hotel and you can definitely tell that it is fairly new. If you're looking for value without sacrificing quality, cleanliness and comfort, this is a great option. Don't expect five star service and consider yourself lucky if you get to meet Chris.

One final word of warning, the elevator HAS to be the slowest one in existence. I'm not really complaining since it's not the hotel's fault but it's definitely something to keep in mind if you're in a hurry.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
frontdesk599, Front Office Manager at Sleep Inn & Suites Eugene, responded to this review, May 31, 2011
Thank you for the constructive criticism. We appreciate all feedback, good or bad. The problems you have stated have been addressed. We look forward to serving you in the future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Eugene, Oregon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2011

This was my second at the hotel, both times the rooms were very roomy and comfortable. The bed was better then mine at home, plush and cozy. There was some train noise, but it was minimal and brief. My minor complaints were the breakfast is rather meager and the parking isn't the greatest. I wouldn't let those things keep me from coming back as the value and comfort was excellent.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled solo
Mount Vernon, Washington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2011

I'm always looking for a good value with a clean room, comfortable bed and decent bath. The room was suprisingly large and bright, a good desk with ample light and comfortable chair. The bed was extremely comfortable, and the bathroom clean and up to date. My room was very quiet. The only downsides: the typical minimal breakfast and no coffee pot in the room. Again, not a big deal for the price and value of the room. I'll definately stay again on my business trips to Eugene.

Room Tip: I had the single king room away from the main roa.
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled on business
Delta, B.C.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2011 via mobile

Stayed three nights and chose this hotel because of its proximity to family. Close to highway access but do not hear traffic. Occasional train sounds, but I happen to enjoy that; it only occurs once or twice and is gone quickly. I received such amazing personal service, especially from 'Michelle' who kindly offered condolences when she heard I was there to attend a funeral. I had trouble with my phone and she really went above and beyond the call of duty to assist me; she's a gem! Simple but adequate breakfast - breads, muffins, hot or cold cereal, fresh fruit or juice, yogurt, coffee, tea, hot chocolate. The gym is nicely equipped with a treadmill, recumbent bike and a Bow Flex; tv, towels and water all thoughtfully available. The only negative is no coffee maker in the room, but I bring a little French press and heat water in the in-room microwave. There is also a little fridge in the room. I would definitely stay here again on return visits. I wish I could have the same bed at home!

• Stayed January 2011
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2011

Poor parking. Poor access. Weak wireless. Paper thin walls. Room is clean but that's it for the good parts. If the neighbors are done moving stuff and walking around maybe I can sleep now.

• Stayed January 2011
frontdesk599, Front Office Manager at Sleep Inn & Suites Eugene, responded to this review, February 1, 2011
As the Front Desk Manager. I apologize that your stay was unpleasant. I would like you to know that our Employees strive to make your stay as enjoyable as possible, If given the chance to correct the problems you stated above I'm confident The front desk clerk could have rectified the situation. We look forward to serving you in the future.
Orlando, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2010

Recently spent nine nights and enjoyed staying here. The front desk staff,especially
Chris, were friendly, helpful and courteous. The breakfast buffet was well stocked and got us off to a good start each day. The rooms were spacious, the air/heat unit quiet, beds comfy.
We felt very comfortable and safe in this hotel and would recommend it highly. The only downside was the housekeeping staff was a bit lax but this was handled by one phone call.
There is a train close by but after the first night, we didn't even hear it. We definitely would
stay at the Sleep Inn again.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
Nevada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2010

Yes the place is clean, the beds are okay but noisy with windows open or closed. I think we were on the third floor towards the front of the building. We were so close to the McDonalds take away window I was surprised not to see french fries on our window sill in the morning. And it's a 24 hour location I believe. Truthfully, there is no reason to stay here unless your looking to save money.
Walking around Eugene we noticed many older but at least on the outside somewhat charming looking motels. And the real answer, which we discovered too late, especially since our purpose for stopping in Eugene was to do some white water rafting on the McKenzie River is to rent a cabin on the McKenzie River itself.
The place is sterile and without charm don't consider it unless your budget gives you no other alternative. There is a very nice Wholefoods Health market less then 7 minutes down the road and you are almost across the street from the Yum Cafe

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
frontdesk599, Manager at Sleep Inn & Suites Eugene, responded to this review, August 15, 2010
I am sorry we could not make your stay more accommodating. I am also sorry that McDonald's was a nuisance to you. I want to thank you for giving us a try.

Been to Sleep Inn & Suites Eugene? Share your experiences!