“Awesome, awesome, awesome” 5 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
McKinleyville, California
“Awesome, awesome, awesome”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2014

This is the only Hostel I have ever stayed at so I cannot compare it directly to others, but I have stayed at many motels/ hotels and I would prefer to stay at this hostel anytime. It came recommended by friends in the Eugene area in 2010 and I have stayed there every visit since. The neighborhood is great, the staff and proprietor are excellent. I love the atmosphere, accommodations... everything. I have yet to be disappointed by this establishment. Thank you to all those who work so hard to keep this place going, I appreciate it!

Room Tip: The rooms are all great, but for different reasons so...Call and talk with the staff/ proprietor to...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2014

Clean and warm. Nice staff. Coffee and breakfast in the morning. So much better then a hotel and half the price. Bring your own pillow, theirs are questionable age.

I was really late my first night and had no trouble getting in.

Nice place to chill in the common area.

• Stayed February 2014
Annapolis, Maryland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2014

Arrived very late at night. Young woman at the desk couldn't find our reservation. Finally did but for the next night. Room we were supposed to have called "The Loft" was apparently still occupied, but no one knew for certain. She found us another private room. Next morning, good news--Loft available. I asked if we'd have the next two nights as we'd arranged--yes. We didn't want to move if we only had one more night since it was 4 blocks away. Nope, two nights. They very nicely found us a little cart for all our stuff and we trucked it down the street. Loft was great, we did our thing, next morning I headed out to find a rental car for our trip the following day out to Crater Lake. My wife calls--they are telling us we have to leave, the Loft is booked for someone else tonight. I'm not happy, I now need a car in the next two hours, not 24 hours. After much hiking around I get the car and get another call--They worked it out, we can stay. Nope, we're out, got the car already and called the motel at Crater Lake to get us an extra night.

I just don't understand how a business can be that disorganized (twice). I've read the reviews and we read them before we booked. Perhaps this is an anomaly. Everyone was very nice to us and the accommodations were fine, but it ended up costing us money. It's a great location though. Just make sure you confirm your reservation if you book here.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Mac H, Owner at Eugene Whiteaker Hostel, responded to this review, February 13, 2014
I would like to offer my sincerest apologies for your experience during your stay at the Eugene Hostel. It is always difficult to have a late check-in for the Loft, but it doesn't excuse the miscommunication that occurred during your stay. At that time, I was working to transition out of the management roll and had enlisted new people to cover that roll. This, I believe, is what led to the unfortunate chain of events that apparently was so inconvenient.
Bellingham, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2014

The perfect place for anyone who appreciates art, music, books, affordable prices, and meeting interesting people... The Eugene Whiteaker Hostel has won a piece of my heart, and I know I will always stop in and stay awhile whenever I pass nearby.

Of the hostel's two properties, one is more active and centered around socializing. It has a rec room, extensive musical instrument collection, outdoor sitting area/stage with a one-of-a-kind transformable roof, large kitchen/dining room room/living room area, and a fantastic collection of local art ranging from small sketches to huge murals.

The other property is overall quieter and more conducive to chilling out by yourself and exploring the awesome house collection of books and vinyl records.

Guests and employees are made up of a wide range of people. The workers are very friendly, helpful and accommodating. They form a community that is close-knit, but not closed off.
The whole Whiteaker neighborhood is a quirky cavalcade of fascinating and bizarre places and people. An overall attitude of acceptance makes the colorful community here uninhibited and interesting.
The Whiteaker Hostel, and surrounding neighborhood is the perfect taste of Eugene to make you fall in love with the town.

Room Tip: tent pitch is only 15 bucks a night!
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
Jasper, Alberta, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2013

Absolutely, this is the best hostel I've ever used.
Unfortunately, many people don't know this hostel because this is located in Eugene.
If you have a chance to stay there, definitely book here. I recommend you so strongly and I'm sure that you must enjoy spending time.
Price is also reasonable compared other hostels, that is located each big city.
Thanks this hostel, I like this city too.

Room Tip: you don't often have to book this hostel in advance, buy please make sure you can use any availa...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
Mac H, Manager at Eugene Whiteaker Hostel, responded to this review, November 5, 2013
Thank you so much for the visit and the great review! I hope your bike trip is going wonderfully...

Cheers,

Mac and Crew
Seward, Alaska, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2013

I stayed two great nights at the Whiteaker Hostel and when the time came to leave I felt like I was saying goodbye to a new family. The Sunday potluck brought out the best in the neighborhood chefs and the well stocked and cleaned kitchen made it easy to buy groceries and prepare a proper meal. The bathrooms and beds were clean, the music room equipped and the fire pit stocked. It was a great stay with wonderful people and I look forward to coming back.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
Eugene, Oregon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2013

Very friendly community, we feel welcome. Would recommend the experience. Very interesting books and conversations, well prices, nice kitchen and sleeping spaces. woeds words words words words words words words words weords words wor dsow rdos werod

Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Eugene Whiteaker Hostel? Share your experiences!