Nice hostel. Excellent location in an interesting neighborhood close to good grocery stores, restaurants, a microbrewery and a riverfront park. Courteous staff with prompt service. Main location is relatively quiet though a train goes by with some regularity. I slept through it. The annex is closer to the train tracks and I've heard guests and residents there say it's a lot harder to sleep there.
The only issues were:
* My reservations, which I made online, did not match what was in the hostel's computer system, and I did not wind up getting the type of room I booked online. Luckily, they worked things out and I got a room at all. Some folks who arrived after me were not so lucky. I suggest contacting the hostel directly in advance to confirm you have the room and location you think you reserved.
* The staff and their friends hang out at the main location when not working (apparently staff live at the hostel) so it can get congested, especially the kitchen, and many of them smoke outside in the garden.
* They have only one kitchen with one stove, and it can be hard to get stove space with the many staff cooking their food.
* Several private rooms are located off of a dorm so they are not as quiet as a typical private bedroom and the private rate seems a bit unfair. Contact the hostel to make sure you know what you're reserving.
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with HostelBookers so you can book your Eugene Whiteaker Hostel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.