“Good hostel, great location. Issues w/ reservation & kitchen congestion” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Eugene Whiteaker Hostel

You added Eugene Whiteaker Hostel to your Saves list
Eugene Whiteaker Hostel
970 West 3rd Ave, Eugene, OR 97402   |
Ashland
“Good hostel, great location. Issues w/ reservation & kitchen congestion”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2011

Nice hostel. Excellent location in an interesting neighborhood close to good grocery stores, restaurants, a microbrewery and a riverfront park. Courteous staff with prompt service. Main location is relatively quiet though a train goes by with some regularity. I slept through it. The annex is closer to the train tracks and I've heard guests and residents there say it's a lot harder to sleep there.

The only issues were:
* My reservations, which I made online, did not match what was in the hostel's computer system, and I did not wind up getting the type of room I booked online. Luckily, they worked things out and I got a room at all. Some folks who arrived after me were not so lucky. I suggest contacting the hostel directly in advance to confirm you have the room and location you think you reserved.
* The staff and their friends hang out at the main location when not working (apparently staff live at the hostel) so it can get congested, especially the kitchen, and many of them smoke outside in the garden.
* They have only one kitchen with one stove, and it can be hard to get stove space with the many staff cooking their food.
* Several private rooms are located off of a dorm so they are not as quiet as a typical private bedroom and the private rate seems a bit unfair. Contact the hostel to make sure you know what you're reserving.

Room Tip: Contact hostel to confirm reservation is correct
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2011

It's an ok hostel - security is a problem for sure. I never write reviews but I stayed in the hostel last year and spent $30 on a grocery order and one of the staff members (or someone they new) stole my entire grocery order out of the fridge. Clearly this has bitten as me for a while and although giving this hostel a pass mark, this sort of thing needs mentioning as I'm sure others would have had this happen to them ... tip ... buy a $10 grocery order and hedge your bet ... haha

• Stayed February 2010, traveled solo
Eugene, Oregon
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2010

I've stayed here several times over the past year. It's a good place. Whiteaker is an offbeat and chill little neighborhood in Eugene that I like more than most. It's safe, It's close to parks, good food and town. The Hostel employees are usually young temporary workers passing through - most of which aren't stellar at 'customer relations' but are perfectly good people. Mac, the owner, is super friendly and helpful. It is always super clean here. Front doors lock at night with a code. It has a real homey atmosphere to it. I've stayed here solo and with friends in some of the bigger rooms. The loft in the Annex has got to be the coolest little apartment in all of Eugene. I wish I could live in it!

So, it's not perfect, and it is, after all, a hostel - so one has to put up with noise at night sometimes or the occasional sketchy folks hanging out, or maybe a confused and grumpy temporary worker - but there's also lots of neat people who pass through here and work here.

If you're going to camp, it's a bit noisy because of a nearby factory and that durn train that goes by blaring its horn all night. But if it's raining (which it usually is here in Eugene) then camping is NICE and QUIET, much more so than the dorm rooms. Oh, pancakes, coffee and oatmeal every morning? Nice!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled on business
Portland, OR
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2010

I've travelled all over the world and stayed at tons of hostels. This one is at the top. It has a well-stocked library, a full kitchen with all the utensils you could ever need, clean bathrooms, a theater, movies you can watch on your laptop or in the theater for free, a cool common area, great location, and fun backyard. It's got everything you could ever need. The staff was immensely helpful. I highly recommened this hostel to anyone!! A fun place to stay!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled solo
Santa Fe, New Mexico
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2010

I stayed here for two nights Summer 2009 on my way to Washington State. They were fully booked when I called, but luckily I phoned back and they had had a last minute weekend cancellation so I got in. It was one of the best hostels I've been to and the most affordable $22 or $24 a night aprox includes sheets. I slept on a top bunk (argh I'm middle aged) in the girls dormroom up the steep stairs 2nd floor and one of my 3 roommates got up at 5am so I didn't get the best sleep the first night. At the moment I don't remember train noise. Our bathroom was connected to the dormroom (good), and the room had a little balcony with view which was nice. Parking was free on the street, I had to park a ways down the street and walk/carry bags.

Downstairs on the main floor there's a book room with free internet and an entire music/band room with instruments and a foosball machine (I won). I seem to remember a pretty garden area out back but that part is hazy. A full kitchen with free pancakes and coffee for breakfast. I don't eat pancakes in the morning but all the other guests including kids enjoyed it. I like that the kitchen is open to guests cos I've gotta have morning chai. There was also a table area where some of us gathered in the evening. Most guests were there for the big yearly music festival - really nice people to meet, moms and kids too.The hostel staff seemed aloof, pre-occupied and self-absorbed but male hostel staff usually do unless you're a pretty 20-year old female and then they fall all over themselves. I would like to see less age-ism in the USA.

I drove West an hour to Florence on the Oregon Coast as I was missing the ocean and hoping for a great fish dinner, was totally underwhelmed - I don't recommend it, silty, flat, no view beach and bad seafood.

Hostel had a nice old dog. I think they make guests leave at 11am but one day they let me stay and hang out cos I was staying over again. It was a relaxing, mini-vacation and one of the best hostels I've stayed in. I strongly believe all hostels should use plastic mattress covers for guest protection - they didn't have them then I hope they do now. I bring my own if I have any doubts about the mattress. My only worry about ANY hostel and even expensive hotels is that they are (sadly) going green and not using 160 degree hot water and bleach daily to wash linens and towels.

The affordable alternative to staying at a hostel in Eugene is hotels starting at $55 and up. For me, I would MUCH rather save my money and stay in a hostel and the Whiteaker was a really good choice.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled on business
California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2010

I came to this hostel with my boyfriend and best friend to attend a festival. Mac, the owner, was very nice and generous. The rest of the staff was sooo nice and helpful. The place itself is like living in someone's house. Very comfortable,cozy, wonderful, inexpensive, fun staff, community kitchen, near station (trains can be loud at night) , clean, & just awesome! I would recommend it to anyone whether solo or friends or partners. If you like a community feel and atmosphere this is the place to be!

• Stayed July 2010
Pahoa, Hawaii
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2009

My wife and I are middle aged and some hostels have too much of a "partying" atmosphere and sometimes are real clean. The Whiteaker Hostel is friendly, professionally run, quiet, clean, and very pleasant. We had a room next to the office with a private bath. No complaints at all - it was quiet at night - some have mentioned a train and I think I was aware of some train noise, but it sure didn't wake me up.

The staff are great. The kitchen is clean and even had free stuff to cook for the guests. Nothing fancy, but oatmeal and coffee hit the spot.

They do have single and dorms and at least one two bedroom with a small kitchen (for $67) which we will use when we travel with another couple.

It's close enough to walk to interesting places. We walked several blocks to a glass blowing shop and took our time looking around and went to a soul food place and then the Tiny Tavern. Good trip and good place to stay.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled solo

Been to Eugene Whiteaker Hostel? Share your experiences!