“Disappointing stay” 1 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersBronze level
Oregon
“Disappointing stay”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2011

While the service was quite good during the check-in process, I was not impressed with much else at the Eugene Hilton.
Unfortunately this hotel is in need of some serious updating and thorough cleaning. Let me start with a list of things that would persuade me to look for a different hotel before choosing this one:
- room doors slam shut each and every time a guest opens their door...causing a loud crash
- room walls are paper thin and we could hear the guests entire conversations from midnight until 4:00am (not acceptable...you will not sleep comfortably here with banging doors and loud conversations in the next room)
- bathtub hand rail was broken from the wall, big crack on the wall and didn't feel secure
- heated pool is not really heated, more just lukewarm and not at all inviting
- hot tub was closed for repair, though I learned it had been closed for weeks
- parking is $15, yes $15 for Eugene!! Ridiculously overpriced - i would have paid $8-10 but not $15 for parking myself in this poorly lit and crowded garage.
- THERE WAS ABSOLUTELY NO HOT WATER, NONE!! When checking out, the front desk staff about my stay...I mentioned not having any hot water and they seemed to think that "well, a boiler went out early in the morning but you could go back to your room and try now...there might be a little hot water". Are you kidding me??!

- the real clincher for writing this review? Just an overall poor experience and I want others to know there are many other better hotels to stay in Eugene that are better.

Room Tip: Ask for something higher up and on the south side of the building
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
HotelManagerEugene, Manager at Hilton Eugene, responded to this review, December 23, 2011
Dear OregonDelight,

Thank you for taking the time to comment on your recent stay with us. I am glad to hear the service was good during the checkin process. I am sorry that the doors shut loudly, our Owners are preparing to replace all of the guest room doors in the next year and this should definately make the rooms quieter. I also apologize for the broken hand rail and hope that you reported it so we could have it repaired. The pool is heated to 82 degrees which is heated but still refreshing to get in for a swim. We did have a underground leak in the outdoor hot tub, but has now been repaired.

We do have several room packages available that include breakfast, internet and parking in the room rate and they can provide a better value than just booking the room. I am sorry that the Hot water went out while you were here, this is the first time in the year I have worked here, that this has happened and hopefully the last. We have installed a new steam generation plant that should give our Hotel ample hot water for all Guests.

Thank you again for your feedback and please feel free to contact me personally if you would like to further discuss your stay.

- hot tub was closed for repair, though I learned it had been closed for weeks

434 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (83)
Washougal, Washington, United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2011

My girlfriend, who lives in southern Oregon and I, I live in southern Washington, meet in Eugene every December to get together to do our Christmas shopping. We have been very successful using priceline.com and usually stay at the Red Lion. This time we stayed at the Eugene Hilton and were very excited until we arrived and were told parking was an extra $15 per night per car!!! They did only charge us for one car but an extra $30 kind of defeats the purpose of using priceline.com. Also internet usage is an extra $10 per night. Our coffee pot did not work and there was no fan in the bathroom. We were happy with the location and the rooms were clean, beds were comfortable. Hopefully next year we stay at the Red Lion!!!

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends
Dear TripAdvisor Member,

Thank you for taking the time to comment on your recent stay with us. I am glad to here that you liked the location, the room was clean and you thought the bed was comfortable. I am sorry that the coffee maker was not working and hopefully we sent you up a new one while you were here.

We do offer several room packages that include breakfast, parking and internet in the rate. These packages offer a great value and can be seen by going to the hotel web site. Again, thank you for your thoughts about your recent stay. I am always available to discuss your stay further and can be reached through the hotel's direct phone number.

oregon
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2011 via mobile

We had a great time, and enjoyed the Eugene Hilton. My only constructive feedback is the walls have no insulation so you hear people in the hallways and even talking in rooms next door. I turned the fan on low to drowned out noise, but should have used medium. The pool needs some updating and more spectator seating. Other than that, great experience.

• Stayed November 2011
HotelManagerEugene, Manager at Hilton Eugene, responded to this review, November 29, 2011
Dear Tripadvisor Member,

Thank you for taking the time to comment on your recent stay with us. I am glad to hear that you had a great time and enjoyed the Hilton Eugene.

I am sorry that you could hear others in the hallways and next door, our owners are in the process of some capital improvements which includes all new Guestroom doors and should definately help with sound.We are also looking into our options to add activities and media to the pool area.

Once again, thank you for taking the time to give us feedback on your stay, I'm glad that you had a great experience, and we look forward to you joining us again next time you are in Eugene.
Bangalore, India
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2011

I stayed here for two weeks on my business trip to Eugene. It is a decent hotel with good service. The presence of the Hult centre next door is an added attraction. Check is was easy and the people were courteous. A fridge and microwave was installed on request considering my extended stay. Room service was prompt. Overall it was a nice experience with very little hassles. It has a good location within easy access to a lot of restaurants along 5th street.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
Dear Tripadvisor Member,

Thank you for taking the time to comment on your recent stay with us. Two weeks is a long time to be away from home, I am glad that you had a nice experience with us.

It is very convenient for us being next to the Hult and we have many Guests that stay with us while attending one of their venues. It is good to hear that check-in was easy and the people were courteous as we do pride ourselves on our service. We do indeed have fridges and microwaves available upon request and are happy to deliver them to our Guests.

I think we have one of the best Roomservice departments in the Hilton brand and it shows by the Guest comment cards we recieve through Hilton Members, and yes there are alot of restaurants along 5th street, I hope you had the opportunity to try ours, as it is one of the best in town.

Thank you again for your comments and we look forward to serving you again in the near future.
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2011

Pretty old looking from outside, but the room is fine. The colors of two trees outside of the window were so amazing.

Hilton, by now, has not disappointed me.

The lobby is a little bit informal, should be better though.

Room Tip: During the foliage, the third floor will be a good choice to look at the colors of tree.
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
HotelManagerEugene, Manager at Hilton Eugene, responded to this review, December 4, 2011
Dear Tripadvisor Member,

Thank you for taking the time to comment on your recent stay. I agree that the fall colors are amazing and we do have some spectacular views. Eugene is definately a beautiful city.

Our Owners are in the process of some updates for the lobby space which should happen in the first quarter of 2012. We are excited to see the improvemnts. Thank you for staying with us and we look forward to your next visit to the Eugene area.

Lake Oswego, Oregon
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2011

We stayed at the Hilton in Eugene for two nights in the middle of August 2011. While the lobby area seems rather impressive, compared to more budget friendly hotels, and the location is good if you want to leave the car parked the whole trip, we were not impressed and likely wouldn't stay there again. It's not that they did anything so terribly wrong it just really wasn't a good value. We typically stay in the Hampton Inn, which is a Hilton hotel, while in Eugene but it's out on the west side and all of our business was east so we stayed downtown. The Hilton is more expensive but has fewer amenities. We had to pay for parking daily, there was no breakfast offered, were charged for internet (they even wanted to charge for each laptop in use but I called the front desk and she gave us a code 'just this once'), no mini fridge and the bathroom was so small is was kind of hard to get in and out around the door. No chance of my husband and I being in there at the same time. We actually decided to spend a third day in Eugene and changed hotels to the Hampton Inn across town. It would have cost us, something like $75 more in room charges and fees to stay at the Hilton and we didn't even like it.
Eugene is small enough that it really doesn't matter where you stay convenience wise. Yes, if you want to step out your hotel and walk downtown then stay downtown but really, it takes 15 minutes to drive almost anywhere in town and parking is plentiful and often free or very inexpensive. Don't think you have to stay a few blocks from your destination, the whole city is very accessible, just choose a hotel with the price and amenities you like, it's a quick drive to anything you want to see. Something we won't likely forget again.

Room Tip: Ask if there are any weddings or large groups with blocks of rooms. Ask to be away from those rooms...
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
HotelManagerEugene, Manager at Hilton Eugene, responded to this review, November 24, 2011
Dear Tripadvisor Member,

Thank you for taking the time to comment on your last stay , your feedback is very important to us, as it helps us find out what our Guests want.

I am sorry to hear that you did not find our Hotel to be a value to you. Please know that we do have several room packages available at our Hotel that include breakfast, internet and parking in the room rate. These packages offer a great value over purchasing them separately and can be seen by going to our Hotel website.

Again thank you for sharing your thoughts about your recent stay. Please know that I am available to discuss your stay further with you if you so choose.
Florence, Oregon
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2011

Since we prefer to stay in Eugene after an event at the Hult Center next door, we stay at the Hilton. Check-in has been pleasant in that we've managed to get the extras that we asked for when we made reservations. After check-in we have time for a rest and then dinner at a quality restaurant nearby before the night's entertainment. Afterwards, we can have a drink in the lounge; food is an option too. Our room is always clean. This is not a new hotel, but it's not depressing. The rooms are upgraded regularly. Our bed has always been great. The curtains hang well and the long views are nice. Eugene has a train that goes through the city at night, so the tooting is a mixed blessing--nice sound, but in the middle of the night? (This is a problem for all the hotels in the area.) In the morning we walk to breakfast and come back in time to check-out. The car has been in the parking garage since we arrived the previous day. We feel we've had a vacation by the time we're on our way back home.

Room Tip: You can ask for a quiet room.
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
HotelManagerEugene, Manager at Hilton Eugene, responded to this review, November 21, 2011
Dear Tripadvisor Member,

Thank you for taking the time to comment on your last stay. We do get alot of people staying at our Hotel attending a show at the Hult center, it is very convenient being right next door.I am happy to hear that your arrival requests have been met,the room is always clean and the beds are great. We do pride ourselves on our service, and even though the Hotel is not new we do keep upgrading to keep up with the times, like beds, flat panel TV's and granite countertops.

Yes we are in the heart of Eugene and do have some train noise, but we think it adds to the small town charm of Eugene, and your right, you can ask for a quieter room facing away from the trains.

We are glad that you choose us for your mini vacation from home and look forward to your return.

Been to Hilton Eugene? Share your experiences!