“Repeated visits--walk to galleries, restaurants” 4 of 5 stars

Stay, Park, and Travel
Ranked #10 of 33 Hotels in Eugene
GreenLeadersBronze level
Florence, Oregon
“Repeated visits--walk to galleries, restaurants”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2011

Since we prefer to stay in Eugene after an event at the Hult Center next door, we stay at the Hilton. Check-in has been pleasant in that we've managed to get the extras that we asked for when we made reservations. After check-in we have time for a rest and then dinner at a quality restaurant nearby before the night's entertainment. Afterwards, we can have a drink in the lounge; food is an option too. Our room is always clean. This is not a new hotel, but it's not depressing. The rooms are upgraded regularly. Our bed has always been great. The curtains hang well and the long views are nice. Eugene has a train that goes through the city at night, so the tooting is a mixed blessing--nice sound, but in the middle of the night? (This is a problem for all the hotels in the area.) In the morning we walk to breakfast and come back in time to check-out. The car has been in the parking garage since we arrived the previous day. We feel we've had a vacation by the time we're on our way back home.

Room Tip: You can ask for a quiet room.
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
HotelManagerEugene, Manager at Hilton Eugene, responded to this review, November 21, 2011
Dear Tripadvisor Member,

Thank you for taking the time to comment on your last stay. We do get alot of people staying at our Hotel attending a show at the Hult center, it is very convenient being right next door.I am happy to hear that your arrival requests have been met,the room is always clean and the beds are great. We do pride ourselves on our service, and even though the Hotel is not new we do keep upgrading to keep up with the times, like beds, flat panel TV's and granite countertops.

Yes we are in the heart of Eugene and do have some train noise, but we think it adds to the small town charm of Eugene, and your right, you can ask for a quieter room facing away from the trains.

We are glad that you choose us for your mini vacation from home and look forward to your return.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (94)
Camano Island, Washington
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2011

I have stayed at this hotel numerous times both with children and without. I always book this hotel off Hotwire (hot deal) as I've noticed that if they are offering a 3 star hotel in Eugene around $65-$70 it always puts me at the Hilton. Eugene does not have a lot of nice hotels. The Hilton is clean and is located within walking distance to lots of little shops in downtown not to mention the Hult Center. The staff is very friendly and helpful. There is easy access to the roadways that will take you to either Eugen or the Springfield malls. The 5th Street Market is a couple of blocks away and has some good food and quite a variety. If you like books there is a used book store a block or so away from the hotel and it has two floors of used books...l could spend hours there.

As for the Hotel itself...the only thing I didn't like about it was there was no fan in the bathroom. This hotel is not spectacular, just clean and comfortable. There are two kinds of parking available...self park and valet. I always use self-park, but it will cost you $15 a day. There is a restaurant on sight, but I've never eaten there as I am always out with family. We did not use the additional facilities offered at this hotel as we just didn't have the time.

As I read some of the other reviews I have this to say...it is not worth $100 a night...and it's not the Miami Hilton by any means...so if this is your expectation you will be disappointed. Shop around and get a good deal. With that in mind and knowing that this is Eugene, this hotel is clean, comfortable, safe and is in a great location.

Dear Tripadvisor Member,

I agree that the location is ideal, with many shops and restaurants in walking distance, not to mention the Hult center right next door.

We do pride ourselves on our service, and I am glad to hear that you found the Staff to be friendly and the rooms clean and comfortable.

Once again thank you for taking the time to let us know about your stay, and we look forward to your next visit to Eugene.
Missoula, Montana
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2011

This Hilton in Eugene is disappointing. The hotel is older, not well maintained, and not clean by Hilton standards. Charges including $10/ day for wi if (that is spotty at best), $15/ day for parking on top of a $100/ night room leave the customer wondering why they booked there.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
HotelManagerEugene, Manager at Hilton Eugene, responded to this review, November 23, 2011
Dear Tripadvisor Member,

Thank you for taking the time to comment on your recent stay. I appreciate the opportunity to address your concerns and to improve our hotel as a result.

I am sorry to hear that your stay was dissappointing as that is not our goal. Our Housekeeping department takes great pride in their jobs and it is reflected in the posative Hilton Guest comment surveys.

While our guestrooms and furnishings were renovated in 2008 our hotel is slated for several more updates in the coming year. We will see upgrades to guestrooms, guest corridors and the hotel lobby, all intended to improve our guest’s experience at the hotel.

We recently converted to AT&T WIFI in the Hotel, and from our Guests comments seems to be working quite well for everyone. We are a downtown Hotel and parking is limited. The entire area surrounding us is metered or pay parking structures, the difference here is we offer covered parking and Security, we also offer our overnight Guests a discounted rate of $15.00 per day versus the normal $2.00 per hour.

Again, I am truly sorry that your experience at our hotel was not positive. We do take the feedback we obtain from our TripAdvisor Reviews and from our Hilton Surveys very seriously and always use them to improve our services and products. Please know that I am always available to discuss your stay and can be reached through the hotel’s direct telephone number.
Oregon South Coast
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2011

We like to stay at the Eugene Hilton because of its great downtown location. It is possible to walk everywhere. Nearby are terrific restaurants and music/theater venues. Sometimes we travel with a small dog, which the hotel will accomodate. The front desk staff is very friendly.

The property is clean and updated, although the rooms are small. The bath linens are lushious, but there are no bedspreads.

We have in the past gotten excellent room rates through Priceline, but our last bargain turned out to be negated because of the Hilton's extra fees. It costs $15/night to park and the pet fee is $50.

Dear Tripadvisor Member,

I agree that we do have a very friendly Front Desk staff, and I am glad you felt the hotel was clean and updated.

The Hilton Eugene does have a great downtown location, and is very close to restaurants and music/theater venues.

We are pet friendly, but with so many people allergic to pets we must thoroughly remove all evidence, including shampooing of carpets and drapes, thus the extra charge.

Again, thank you for sharing your comments about your recent stay. We look forward to taking great care of you again in the near future.
San Diego, CA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2011

I stayed at the HIlton Eugene for two nights in September. Everyone on the staff was incredibly friendly and helpful. However, like an earlier reviewer, I found the property to be very dated. The carpets and walls in the hallways seemed very old and musty. My room was better, but I still considered it out of date. The bed was clean and comfortable. The train tracks are close by, so I could hear them around 6am.

The best feasture of this hotel is that it is very conveniently located to many things in downtown Eugene. Very easy walking distance to many restaurants and bars.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
HotelManagerEugene, Manager at Hilton Eugene, responded to this review, September 22, 2011
Dear VWC_SD,

Thank you for taking the time to comment on your recent stay. I am glad to hear that you found the Staff to be incredibly friendly and helpful, and the beds clean and comfortable. Our Owners do have some updates planned for the upcoming year that will enhance the look of the property.

The trains do indeed run through the heart of Eugene, and I think, adds to the small town charm of the City. We are indeed in a prime location with many restaurants and bars in walking distance.

Once again, thank you for your comments and we look forward to your next visit to the Eugene area.

John Thomas
Hotel Manager
Houston, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2011 via mobile

Stayed at this property for 2 nights after Labor Day that just happened to be the 2 hottest days of the year in Eugene. The check-in process was great. I am a Hilton Honors Gold member and was thanked for my Hilton loyalty. When I got to my room I felt like I had gone back to a 1980's property. Dated furnishings. Work and tired looking. But the worst part was the poor air conditioning. It never worked properly.

Breakfast was uninspiring and the service terrible. No water. No refill once we received water. Second morning they ran out of Greek Yoghurt and no one could figure out if they had more in the kitchen.

I responded to the Hilton survey when I returned and the manager sent a very lackluster response. I felt like my comments were a bother for him and he didn't give a hoot about a business traveler and their opinion.

The only reason I would recommend the hotel is there are not a lot of alternatives in Eugene at that level.

Advise to the GM if you read this, don't treat your business travelers comment as a bother.

• Stayed September 2011
jodychall, General Manager at Hilton Eugene, responded to this review, September 22, 2011
Dear DrFood,

Thank you for taking time to share your feedback regarding your recent stay at our hotel. I appreciate the opportunity to address your concerns and to improve our hotel as a result.

I am very sorry to learn that you felt our Hotel Manager’s response was lackluster. As a team here at the hotel we do take every guest comment very seriously and always attempt to improve and adjust as a result of the feedback. I assure you we will discuss the input you have provided here as well. I also apologize for the poor experience you encountered in our restaurant. Please know that in response to your earlier survey we have met with our restaurant culinary and service staff to ensure that our team is prepared and capable of meeting all of our guests needs promptly and positively. The Greek Yogurt is a new addition to our buffet, and our Chef has adjusted the quantity we have on hand based on its popularity.

Jody Hall
Garibaldi, Oregon
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2011

The hotel is a wonderful location; many restaurants and bars within walking distance. Check in staff was incredibly nice and helpful, as we were traveling with our 2 dogs. We did have an issue, however management was extremely apologetic and comp'ed us for parking and wifi in our room. All staff encountered were most helpful and very friendly. One reminder, do remember this is also a convention center, and if there is an evening function it may get noisy outside, so you might want to seek a room on a higher floor. Another thing to note, to be ecological friendly, the air conditioner is set to go no lower that 65 degrees and has a motion sensor, if you leave for the day, be prepared to come back to a very hot room and time for it to cool off. Overall, the hotel is very well kept, has very friendly staff, and in a great location!

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
HotelManagerEugene, Manager at Hilton Eugene, responded to this review, September 15, 2011
Dear OregOn Wanderlust,

Thank you for taking the time to respond on your recent stay with us. I am glad that you enjoyed our location. It is very convenient to many restaurants and bars in walking distance.

We do pride ourself on our friendly Staff and I am glad to hear that you agree. I will share your comments with our Staff, especially the check in people. Being a downtown hotel with a lot of local activities can get a little noisey at times, but usually quiets down at 9pm, as the City has noise ordinances.

I am sorry that your room was hot when you returned, we try to keep the thermostats set at a 72 degree average to keep the rooms at a cool temperature.

John Thomas
Hotel Manager

Been to Hilton Eugene? Share your experiences!