“The secret is ordering out!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #20 of 530 Restaurants in Eugene
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Late Night
Auburn, Washington
“The secret is ordering out!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2014

Let me just get it out of the way and say that yes, this restaurant is literally someone cooking out of their modest home, but that's actually awesome. Only the first floor is open to dining, and it's probably always packed (it was while I was there). They said the wait would be over a half hour, but a college-student regular tuned us in to the secret to getting in and out: Order out. Get there, ask them for a menu, get your order to go, and you'll be out in about 20 minutes with one of the best meals you ever had. There are only a few tables inside, and it's really cramped (only half of the first floor is for dining). My mother and I took our meal back to our hotel only a few blocks away, and it was amazing (details below).

I'm from Washington State, but my mother is from Missouri. She misses the soul/comfort food from her childhood, and eating from Papa's Soul Food Kitchen literally brought a tear to her eye, especially the hush puppies She exclaimed it was the best comfort food she's had in decades, and while we live in Washington State, we might make a trip to Eugene just to go back to this place, no kidding. I got the brisket, which was one of the best meals (probably top five) that I have ever had, and I've eaten at some of the best restaurants on the West coast. I don't cook much, but I really want to find out how to duplicate their red beans and rice, which is one of my favorite meals because it's healthy and simple, and this is the best I've ever had. Don't get me wrong, the main course is amazing, but the sides were sublime. My mother also really enjoyed the fried okra that was still tender and not over-fried, and I also got the mac-n-cheese which was great but nothing super. My mother got catfish as her main course, and it was thin with a nice curl and had the most amazing, earthy taste I had ever tasted in fish, although I'll admit I don't eat a lot of freshwater fish.

It's been less than a week and we're already trying to find an excuse to go back. Dinner for two here cost less than $40, which is unheard of for this quality. I would happily pay more. Ordering out really isn't a secret unless you just wander in without knowing the place, but it's definitely the way to go if there's any sort of wait. Visit their website at http://papassoulfoodkitchen.com for more info and to learn the history of their business.

• Visited March 2014

Johnson City, Tennessee
“Get in early!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2014 via mobile

Food was great. We had pork ribs, finger lickin good. I had red beans and rice, sweet potatoes and hush puppies. Husband had the ribs, collard greens, baked beans and corn bread

Visited March 2014
Sequim, Washington, United States
“Southern Style Soul Food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2014

This little restaurant is in a cute neighborhood, in a remodeled rambler. We sat out on the deck, watching the band set up for the night's entertainment. It's a blues joint and says so on the menu. Great beer to go along with some great fried chicken...the best we've found in Oregon so far. Sides are good. Wait staff was friendly and efficient. We'll stop again on our way through town.

• Visited September 2013
Spearfish
“You want to get there early....”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2014

People were lining up in the rain, waiting for this restaurant to open! It smelled SO good inside. Portions are more than generous...and be prepared to share because your table mates are going to want to try what's on your plate! We had ribs with sides, pulled pork sandwich and the daily special with andouille sausage, pulled pork and cabbage slaw on it. Had to try the hushpuppies which were hot and good except I like mine with mustard and they did not have mustard! Kool aid as a beverage option is something you don't see often! All our meals were very good except the side of baked beans which seemed a little bland. Servers were attentive and pleasant. Small seating area. Would love to be there when they have live music.

• Visited February 2014
Seattle, Washington
“Long wait but worth it”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2014

Had a group of six of us and tried a big variety of things, fried chicken, bbq chicken, pulled pork, jambalaya, hush puppies, cornbread, mac n cheese, collard greens, fried okra and to my delight, kool-aid. While everything was very good, the star was the fried chicken. Hot and super crispy, some of the best fried chicken I've had. Downside with this place is it take forever to get your food, there was approx a 30 min wait from when we ordered to when we got the food. Granted it was probably the fried chicken's fault since it seems they cook it to order, however other friends who have come here say they have had similar wait times. During the wait the waitresses were super friendly and kept our drinks refilled, so in my opinion the place is worth it.

• Visited January 2014