I chose the Surfrider because my lady friend and I wanted an ocean view motel near Depoe Bay on our annual trip to the Oregon Coast. Picked this one because of some good reviews, their excellent web site and the desire to try a new motel. We discovered that one of the things we really liked was leaving the window open a bit at night a falling asleep to the sound of the surf!
Our 2nd floor ocean view room allowed us a good view of the beach below at the mouth of Fogerty Creek while providing a comfy, modest sized place to relax and watch seals play in the surf and, further off the beach, the occasional whale spout. Everything in the room appeared well cared for. The carpet, paint, furnishings and fixtures were in good condition. Nothing seemed worn, damaged, dirty, thread-bare or just patently awful.
If you want to visit the beach the access here is not what you'd call ADA compliant. From the motel you may choose a winding trail through the brush or dozens of steps down a stair case that hugs a low bluff. We walked to the beach twice and it was worth it both times. The beach is not huge but surrounding rocks and reefs that lie just off shore make it protected. In other words a somewhat reduced chance that a sneaker wave might come in and douse you (or worse). The low bluff and surrounding rocks cut some of the wind and made walking pleasant. We saw one group enjoying a beach fire in the lee of some rocks. In the lobby they post the daily high and low tides on a white board which is handy if you like beach combing or tide pooling.
We didn't dine at the restaurant because we had made other plans but we peeked in the bar and dining room and it looked like a good option. They also had a modest sized room available for meetings/conferences or dining for a group. Though not in Depoe Bay the Surfrider is convenient to either Depoe Bay or Lincoln City.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Surfrider Resort is nestled atop a bluff overlooking Fogarty Creek and the Pacific Ocean, located just two miles north of Depoe Bay, between Lincoln City and Newport. While at the Surfrider, visit Depoe Bay, the world's "Smallest Harbor" and famous for whale watching. Reserve a trip for deep sea fishing, or visit Newport for the outstanding Oregon Coast Aquarium, 3 miles north for golfing, or simply take in the sights at the Surfrider where whales play, eagles soar, seals nap, and the sun sets over the ocean. We have banquet rooms that can hold up to 100 people. Weddings, birthdays and special events. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Choice Hotels, Hotwire, Priceline, Travelocity, Hotels.com and Odigeo so you can book your Clarion Inn Surfrider Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Surfrider Resort Depoe Bay
- Surfrider Hotel Depoe Bay