“Cute little dog friendly inn” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Harbor Lights Inn

You added Harbor Lights Inn to your Saves list
Harbor Lights Inn
2.5 of 5 Bed and Breakfast   |   235 SE Bayview, PO Box 249, Depoe Bay, OR 97341   |
Ranked #5 of 8 Depoe Bay B&B and Inns
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Seattle
“Cute little dog friendly inn”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2012

I liked this place. I read reviews beforehand and was a bit nervous but this place was great.

The innkeepers are super sweet and not creepy at all. They are very helpful and available during specific hours, which is stated. This isn't 24 hrs service. You have a key to come and go within the entire Inn as you please.

I mainly purchased this deal for my dogs. The room was adequate. Nothing fancy but clean (could be cleaner for those that are OCD but this isn't brand new and it was far from dirty).Very reasonable and easy access with an outside and inside entrance to the room. Fireplace with presto logs provided, made for a nice, cozy evening.

The breakfast was really good & fast too. Nice dining area with views of the harbor. I loved my bacon omelet and my denver omelet. My husband loved his biscuits and gravy and egg/hash casserole. Fresh fruit and OJ. Pretty good as far as inclusive breakfasts go.

Great location to site see and do the old Hwy 101 tour. Really enjoyed it, for our 2 night stay. Not sure I would stay at this location longer than 3 nights (it would start to get boring) but for a quick coastal getaway - perfect. I would visit again based on a good price. Not sure I would feel comfortable paying the $259 a night unless it was a holiday or special event, that feels too high. Oh and skip the Sea Hag unless you just want fried seafood or to grab drinks in the bar. If you want a real meal go to the Tides place on the water but make a reservation. Also the cute little Thai place in Depoe Bay is good!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2012

After we arrived, my husband left some stuff in the car and had to make several trips to get everything. He noticed someone watching him EVERY TIME from the innkeepers window, but when he would look they would hide. I was concerned about my son and my family's safety, but it was late so we stayed. The room was clean, the port was good and the view of the harbor was fascinating for my son. But the room looked like any old hotel, no personal touches or atmosphere. The next morning we awoke to a disgusting breakfast. I have always felt an omelette is tough to mess up, well they found a way. Plus we found some video that looked like it was distributed by some white supremist group with a title insinuating that Barak Obama is the Devil. No way would I stay there again.

• Stayed May 2011
Portland, Oregon
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2012

First, the positives. Depoe Bay is a great little town--delicious Mexican food, seafood, and tons of cute candy shops, etc. Harbor Lights is a nice B&B run by a very nice couple. Very friendly. Nice common spaces, DVDs to borrow, nice breakfast room, big bedroom with a balcony that would be great in the summer. The view is the harbor, which is interesting to look at.

We stayed in an Admiral's Room, which was nice and big with a huge bed. It is painted dark red, even the ceiling, which is pretty dark. The bathroom was not the cleanest--decently clean, but a little dirty. The wine glasses were a little dirty. There is a wood-burning fireplace, which contained a four-hour log. We lit it but it smelled like chemical, so we put it out. The breakfast was pretty good, but not gourmet.

Overall, this is not a fancy place at all, but a nice, decent little getaway. If I had paid the full price of $259 a night, I would really wonder about the value, but I had a special deal that made it reasonable.

McMinnville, Oregon
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2012

What a great place to stay. Nice view of the harbor and decent sized room. There was a wood burning fireplace (logs are provided) and a jetted tub in our room. The complimentary sherry in the room is a nice touch. The owners are very nice and serve a decent breakfast cooked to order. At times the other guest can be heard throughout the building but not too badly. Some rooms allow pets but under 40lbs.

Portland, Oregon
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2012

The food should be top quality and the evening wine/cheese a gourmet experience, and it was neither. I expected something with more luxury. They did not even have some of the things noted in the website, such as a big screen tv in the common room, jetted tub, or nice bedding.

Oregon
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2012

Ok...I bought a LivingSocial coupon for this place last summer with the idea of using it for our anniversary getaway weekend in February. The price of the room is normally over $250 per night, so I thought the 68% savings was worth buying it. After purchasing the coupon, I looked it up on TripAdvisor to see what the reviews were. I have to say I was suffering from buyers remorse after reading some of the reviews, and was wondering if I had made the right choice buying this coupon. As the weekend we were going to go got closer, I read reviews again and while most were good, there were still some that had me worried. The night we pulled into the parking lot I said to my husband, "If this place turns out bad, lets agree we will leave and stay somewhere else because I want this weekend to be special".

The lobby and main gathering room was comfortable and clean. The innkeeper (Bob), welcomed us and gave us a tour of the main rooms and where to go for breakfast, the vast video library, where to get ice or use a refridgerator. He then took us upstairs to our room. I have to say, all my worries disapeared. The room was so cozy, warm and inviting. Everything from the wall colors to the linens. A real fireplace with a 5 hour log, complimentary Sherry and chocolate, and a bottle of wine (if you drank it, you would be charged but it was clearly marked so if you didn't want to be charged, don't drink it!). Breakfast was great, and plentiful. And the bed was very, very comfortable. My only complaint and this is small, is the TV was older and small. My eyes aren't so good and I had a hard time seeing it from the bed, but my husband said it was fine for him.

I would definetly stay again. DON'T BELIEVE EVERY REVIEW!

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2012

We got a two for one coupon deal for the Inn. If we had paid full price, this review would be worse. We were in their "best" room. It did look over the harbor and was a nice size. They did try hard. We had a complimentary bottle of wine, sweet sherry and fresh flowers-all nice touches. Still, the furnishings were a bit old and tired, definitely not luxurious, or even close. Breakfast was good, choice of two entrees. The managers were pleasant. Another nice touch was their library of DVDs which we were free to borrow. Next time we'll stay Ocean front when we visit the coast.

• Stayed January 2012

Been to Harbor Lights Inn? Share your experiences!