“Good for breakfast” 3 of 5 stars

Menu
Improve this listing
Ranked #7 of 28 Restaurants in Depoe Bay
Cuisines: Steakhouse, Seafood
Dining options: Dessert, Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Buffet, Late Night, Reservations, Takeout
Colorado
“Good for breakfast”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2007

I've been to Gracie's Sea Hag several times, including a stop in last week. My parents love it - my Dad claims it has the best clam chowder in the world (and he doesn't normally like clam chowder). However, I think it's rather average. It's sort of dark on the inside and a little old fashion (which is probably why it appeals to those in my parent's age group 50+). Service isn't served with a smile - rather a bit of a huff and puff - but for some reason that fits with the style of the place. The clam chowder is good, but I've had better in New Hampshire. I've never thought the food was bad or good. Just simply average. They do keep your cup of coffee full - which is always a good touch on the cold and drizzly coast. I'm sure I'll be back with the parents sometime, but I'm going to push for them to try Tidel Raves next time (my favorite coastal restaurant).

bend, OR
“good for breakfast, simple fare”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2007

we had breakfast there one morning, we ordered the brat and eggs breakfast and the bacon eggs breakfast. overall, food great. bacon great, brat had great seasoning. generous portions of toast and hashbrowns. service was good, though our waiter was colorful, and a bit of a close talker. made us feel a tad uncomfortable. reasonable prices, small juice. slow refills on coffee. will definitely eat there again.

BC, Canada
“Crowded, noisy, food and prices nothing special”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2007

Stopped here for lunch since it had been recommended in a review. It is obviously popular since it was crammed with families with innumerable noisy kids. The harried service staff were working flat out, the food was unremarkable, and in the end we could hardly wait to escape back into the fresh air.

Next time we'll try somewhere else.

Oregon Coast
2,197 helpful votes 2,197 helpful votes
“Skip the seafood buffet!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2007

We live on the coast about 30 miles from Depoe Bay, but it had been years since we last tried Gracie's Sea Hag restaurant. It will be years until we try it again!

We opted for the famous "Friday Night Seafood Buffet" .... and unfortunately, did not take the time to look at it before we ordered. The waiter brought salad plates, and we proceeded to the salad bar. Let me list the items: lettuce, beets, onions, carrots, and a corn mixture, plus the standard dressings. That's it.

On to the "great" seafood. Well, there were 12 selections, which sounds wonderful. However, three were plain old cod which tasted as though it was leftover from lunch. There were clams, but they only brought a few at a time. The popcorn shrimp was dry and tough with HOT cajun seasoning. If you like oysters, you were in luck -- three dishes of those. (We don't care for them).There was a pasta dish that had teeny, tiny little bay shrimp, not "prawns" as advertised. There were some other dishes, but they did not look appetizing enough to try. The salmon was the undisputed champion -- it was delicious.

All this was jammed into a poorly designed "L" shaped area about 5' x 8', and the salad bar line went one direction, the buffet line the other! Imagine the congestion in a busy, noisy restaurant.

And this dubious experience cost us $25 each. We decided that at maybe $15 each, it might be worth it (maybe), but at that price? Nope, never again for us!

Shreveport, LA
“don't miss this one....”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2006

After traveling several times to Depoe Bay, I can say that "The Hag" is very consistent.

Very large Crab Louis (with much more of the good stuff than you get at most places in the area)

Decor is what you should expect of an old standard of a dining spot that has seen many of it's main street neighbors come and go.

I've only had dinner one time here, but 4 lunches. Never a bad meal.