“Whale Cove Inn...a slice of heaven” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Suites & Eats Package
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Depoe Bay
Kennewick, WA
“Whale Cove Inn...a slice of heaven”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2008

We just enjoyed a remarkable stay at Whale Cove Inn (WCI), a new B&B just a mile or so south of Depoe Bay, OR. Initially we heard of this property while it was still under construction, during previous stays at Channel House (CH), an older B&B in Depoe Bay. The CH owners, we were told, were building this "new, from the ground up luxury property". Based on our favorable experience at CH, we booked reservations several months in advance @ WCI, and are glad we did! It truly is a beautiful spot.

We immediately recognized Bart, formerly of CH, as the manager of WCI. Bart & his staff are great! They are more than helpful, with info for local activities, driving directions, restaurant recommendations, etc, and did everything we requested to make our 3 nights there perfect.

The WCI sits just south of town and has breath-taking views of the ocean & cove directly below. The style/decor is modern, with an Asian flair. All 8 rooms virtually ooze class: they are large with unobstructed ocean views, tempurpedic king size beds w/luxurious linens, flat panel HD TVs, slab granite counters in bath vanity & wine bar, huge walk-in custom tiled showers, large outdoor private decks w/2-person jetted tubs & unlimited hot water! The lobby has a beautiful 2 story water feature, and the intimate dining area also enjoys full ocean views. The grounds have a large lawn, outdoor seating areas, and a wonderful spot for outdoor weddings or similar uses.

Dining at WCI (either the included breakfast, or the optional, extra cost dinner service) is delightful. Chef Jesse Otero is in charge of 44 Degrees, the restaurant in WCI. Breakfast is lighter fare than many b&b's, being continental style with fresh-baked breads, waffles, oatmeal, fruit, dry cereal, juices & coffee. Jesse's real cooking skills come to the fore with his 7 course dinners! You can select from 2 entrees, but the other courses are set by Jesse. You won't be disappointed! Great wine list, too.

WCI is a great destination for adults looking to relax and take time out from the rat race for a night, or better yet, for a few nights. It's not a place for children or pets, but a great escape to a beautiful, relaxing place. We look forward to coming back again next year.

• Liked — Luxurious room with spectacular ocean view
  • Disliked — No complaints
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (72)
Las Vegas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2008

What an experience! I’ve stayed at numerous B&B’s along the Oregon and California coast, and the Whale Cove Inn tops them all. From the view (spectacular), to the customer service (unmatched), to the meals (breakfast/dinner first rate for a B&B), to the ambiance and attention to detail, the Whale Cove Inn has set the standard for quality on the Oregon Coast. My wife and I loved the hot tub on the deck, the plush bed, and romantic fireplace of our unit. Just one word, WOW.

A wonderful property worth the visit.

• Liked — The View
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled on business
Plano
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2008

From the moment that you clear the tree line off of the Pacific Coast Highway, Whale Cove Inn stands as a beacon to travelers in the Northwest.

The builders paid attention to every detail, from the eye catching dual water pools next to the front doors, to the quaint & romantic fire pits, this property exudes luxury.

The staff was superb. From the moment I walked through the doors, I was treated like I was family. They took extra care to make sure all my needs were met and that I truly enjoyed my stay.

I still have trouble finding words to express how wonderful the room was. It had to be one of the emotionally stimulating rooms I have ever stayed in. Starting from the incredible view you have of the Cove to the most comfortable beds I have ever rested on. Oh and not to forget about the high tech shower.

Nothing was more relaxing than waking up at dawn and taking a dip in the hot tub while listening to the rhythm of the ocean, the sounds of the birds, and the whisper of the wind through the trees.

I ventured down for a bite to eat as was also impressed with the excellent cuisine that was served. Breakfast had a variety of choices, but it was dinner that again blew me away. Dinner at 42 Degrees was a treat. I think the inn purposely forgot to mention they had what I believe to be a 5 star restaurant on their property. Dinner was something like a 5 course meal or I should say feast.

By the time I "Had" to leave, I truly felt like I was a new person who was rejuvenated by my stay at Whale Cove.

Kudos to the staff and owners of Whale Cove Inn, you represent the best of what hospitality truly is. I think of you as the "Jewel of the Northwest!!!".

• Liked — The amenities
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled on business
midwest
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2008

My husband and I stopped in to check out the restaurant and were invited to view one of the rooms. We left knowing we had to find a way to stay there. The room was luxurious and the view was spectacular. The Jacuzzi tub on the deck was the icing on the cake. We were able to go to sleep and wake up with the sound of the waves crashing on the rocks. Unlike the previous reviewer we found the cost of this room to be a very good value. We definately recommend it for someone interested in classy accomodations with a wonderful view. We did not feel the need to other ammenities. We were just happy to be there with each other in such a beautiful place.

• Liked — The view and luxurious room
  • Stayed July 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Portland, Oregon
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2008

We stayed at the Whale Cove Inn shortly after the grand opening and they had some few quirks to work out. I thought the room was pretty large, clean, and modern. However, I thought the price was little steep for Oregon Coast. I can get an ocean view room at Hilton Hawaiian Village in Waikiki for the same price that I paid at Whale Cove Inn. The resort in Waikiki has a spa, 5 restaurants, beach, large fitness facility, and countless other amenities. We couldn't even find a vending machine for soda or basic snacks at Whale Cove Inn. Although, the view outside our balcony was quite beautiful, I don't think it was worth $250/night. I think I would rather stay at the Inn at Ottercrest instead next time.

• Liked — shower
  • Disliked — lack of amenities for the price of hotel
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled as a couple
Yachats Oregon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2008

My husband took me to the Whale Cove Inn to celebrate our anniversary. When we arrived the manager gave us a personal tour of our room's features. She was gracious and professional.

I was absolutely blown away by the property. Not only was the view unbeatable but also the rooms were immaculate! I was very impressed with the attention to the little details. Even though it was a gorgeous, sunny day my husband and I spent most of the time in the room because it was so nice and comfortable. Our room had a two-person Jacuzzi tub on the deck, which was very large. We filled the tub, popped a nice bottle of Champagne and watched the seals playing in the bay below us.

Later that evening we ate at 44 Degrees, the Whale Cove Inn's on property restaurant. We enjoyed an outstanding, seven-course meal. The restaurant staff was very personable and attentive. At the beginning and end of the meal the Chef came
out and spoke with us. The special attention we were given was the icing on the cake! You would be crazy not to eat at the restaurant. The chef is obviously one of the best chef's in the area. Each course was interesting and cooked perfectly.

I highly recommend taking your someone special to this very special place. It would be perfect for a wedding, a honeymoon or an anniversary trip.

• Liked — the view and the food
  • Disliked — I like everything!
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple
Atlanta
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2008

We had reservations at another hotel and after seeing it........it was not going to work out...we were looking for something decent and after passing by the Whale Cove Inn we had some hope this was the one. To be honest, our criteria only called for a clean room, a cool view, a little extra effort on the room and under 250 a night. We found our spot after searching the other area hotels. The Whale Cove Inn is worth the money...The room is huge!! The shower is ridiculous...it's so nice.. The design is sleek, our only complaint was the single point of entry/exit onto the patios and decks over the water - it's located in the restaurant dining room. Dinner was being served when we wanted to go out to view the sunset and didn't feel we could disturb the dining room guests. Overall, the hotel is wonderful and the view is really sometihing special. We would defintely come back!

• Liked — its what we look for
  • Disliked — doors outside are scarce
  • Stayed May 2008
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Whale Cove Inn? Share your experiences!