“Double Charged” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Comfort Suites of Corvallis

You added Comfort Suites of Corvallis to your Saves list
Comfort Suites of Corvallis
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   1730 NW 9th Street, Corvallis, OR 97330 (Formerly Salbasgeon Suites of Corvallis)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #1 of 10 Hotels in Corvallis
Vancouver, Washington
“Double Charged”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2012

Beware to the traveler who seeks peace and rest with fair charges at this Comfort Suites Hotel! On the 13 of June, 2012, my significant other and I decided to take a mini vacation. We chose Comfort Suites because of the reputation for high standards and good treatment. Upon registering, I told the woman behind the desk we were going to "Pay With Cash". She agreed and, asked to hold a copy of my debt card in case there were "unseen expenses or charges". She assured me neither she, nor the Workers, would actually "run" my card. All went well until I discovered the hotel charged my card for the stay in which we PAID IN CASH more than 24 hours AFTER WE CHECKED OUT! Doreen, the manager, refused to speak with my SO or myself! Ivan, the desk attendant, repeatedly told both my SO and me, "This is not a charge but, an 'Authorization' ". However, the "Authorization" was made more than a DAY AFTER WE PAID WITH CASH and CHECKED OUT! And, the money was debited from my account: it was gone! My SO actually went back to the Comfort Suites Corvallis and demanded a refund... She was told "No"! She asked for "Doreen" the manager... She was told "No"! She even tried to press charges for theft, only to have Ivan lie to the authorities and claim we had both "purchased different services" from Comfort Suites Corvallis. After calling countless times and speaking with both Stephanie and Ivan (Never got the manager Doreen on the phone, she refused to own up to her responsibility) who insisted they had spoken with the bank, I finally got a representative of my bank on the phone. He informed me this "IS A SCAM THE BANK IS SEEING MORE OF! PEOPLE WHO PAY IN CASH ASKED FOR A CREDIT CARD BACK UP BY THE HOTEL ONLY TO HAVE THE CARD CHARGED AFTER THE CASH IS PAID!" The Rep also told me, "Comfort Suites Corvallis "HAD NOT CONTACTED THE BANK REGARDING A REVERSAL OF THE BOGUS CHARGE!" IVAN and THE ENTIRE STAFF of COMFORT SUITES LIED TO US for 2 DAYS! The bank rep called Comfort Suites Corvallis on a three-way line with me. He got my money back in 30 seconds! I have stayed in motels all over the country and the world. Never have any of the establishments I have patronized charged my card when paying with cash! From flop houses to 4 Star Hotels, none of them have ever treated me or, my SO, with blatant disregard for our rights, bald-faced lies and rampant disrespect. This hotel stole from us then, unilaterally denied it... Then, wouldn't allow us to speak with the management and refused to fix the problem... Lied... Cheated... Do not do business with these hucksters! Please note that there are at least 2 other reviews in which the customers were double billed and received no fair avenue for recourse or compensation for their trouble. Thanks for reading and, Beware!

Room Tip: Pick another hotel or motel. The YMCA is better than this joint!
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
, General Manager at Comfort Suites of Corvallis, responded to this review, June 21, 2012
This hotel has been in business since 1998 we strive to provide the best customer service possible to our valued guests at all times. From time to time things happen that are out of our control. We did everything in our power to contain the situation. We contacted the guests bank and the hold on this guests account was released on Saturday June 16, 2012. The guest was not double charged. As you may have noticed the guest had no complaints about their room or of the many amenities offered here. I apologize to all the readers who use this site to seek or make genuine reviews about a hotel.
A hotel must be able to guarantee that they will receive the funds from a guests stay and the only way to do so is to hold the funds from their account, otherwise, they could spend the money elsewhere, and the funds would not be available to process the check out transaction. This practice is not a scam it is an industry standard procedure whether it is done at a hotel, for a car rental, a gas station, or restaurant.
A guest may wish to pay cash upon their check out of the hotel, however, you still must guarantee upon check in that you have the funds to pay for the services rendered during your stay. Therefore, you must produce a credit or debit card upon the check in process. As in this guests case, if you decide to pay cash upon checkout you are taking the risk of the funds being tied up in your debit account until the bank releases it.
Respectfully,
Doreen Cowan

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
portland, or
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2012

The hotel was fully booked due to families like ours, in Corvallis for the 11 to 14 year old state swim meet. I expected to hear lots of kids running through the halls making noise. Our room #314 King efficiency was extremely quiet, spacious, and comfortable. Breakfast was pretty good. We did not use the pool or exercise room.All of the staff we encountered were friendly and helpful.Great value.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
Klamath Falls, Oregon
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2012

My family and I stayed two nights here for our friend’s wedding. The ownership had already cut over to Comfort Suites (lobby sign) but the road sign still hung Salbasgeon. The friendly front desk crew, though, were still working out some transition bugs. We stayed in a two-queen room with a comfortable enough partitioned living area. The bathroom was clean and functional. The lobby area was inviting and had a small gift center/shop. I did not use the pool or fitness facilities but they looked fine. I instead did a 14 mile circuit run in the neighborhood and was pleased with the breakfast when I returned. There was a very nice selection of hearty hot and cold items. The eating area was less-lobby like and more restaurant-like which was a plus. The Wi-Fi performed well. While I know the management can address undesired customer behavior they are not responsible for it and kids running through the premises does affect the overall value of the stay; it just goes with the package. While there was not a lot of that kind of happenings, there was enough to drop a star on missed expectations, even for a mid-range hotel. After all, this is not the Disneyland Hotel. I would definitely stay here again. It was a good value (though we did get a group rate for the wedding) and I expect things will get better under the new brand. (The transition is now obviously complete.)

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Oregon
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2012

This property is a cut above the average Comfort Inn. The good-sized flat screen TV equipped with HD was a nice surprise! On the Saturday night I was there, it was very quiet (perhaps surprising for a college town) and I slept in til 9 am undisturbed. I was glad I'd put out the do-not-disturb sign, however, as maids were busy worked when I stepped out into the hall at 9:20. My room had a nice sitting area with a loveseat and coffee table, and it appeared to have been remodeled relatively recently. The bedding was clean and comfortable (though an extra blanket would have been nice - beds are equipped with only a blanket, no comforter). Hot water in the shower came and went a bit, but not unbearable.

I was surprised to see that breakfast ended at 9:30 on a Sunday morning. At 9:20, I hustled down to the lobby and was pleasantly surprised to find that the offerings were a cut above the usual Comfort Inn fare and there was a very comfortable restaurant-like dining area. Unfortunately, I was discouraged from enjoying any of this by the staff member who immediately advised me that although he wasn't "chasing me out," he planned to "break down" the breakfast line (this was at 9:25). I was disappointed that the breakfast offerings didn't live up to the tasty-sounding descriptions - the scrambled eggs with cheddar were chalky (made from powdered eggs?) and the marionberry French toast was awfully dry and tasted strongly of something artificial and acrid. By the time I discovered the breakfast items i had selected were inedible, it was too late to partake of anything else, because the breakfast items had all been put away.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
Tucson, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2011

I see the "U" shaped curve in the reviews for this location thus far and they really puzzle me. There was absolutely nothing wrong with my stay, and I'm picky and always looking for something to comment about back here at Trip Advisor.

This is a nice place, clean, newer, roomy, safe and secure. Nice breakfast, prompt courteous service, and convenient location. I honestly can't see any reason to rate this nice place down the way some have. It's no resort - just a motel - but plenty comfortable.

One, ONE VERY BIG caveat: if there are school buses in the parking lot ask - no, demand a floor that they are not booked on.

Room Tip: This is off the street enough that I don't think one side is any quieter than the other.
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
the sea
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2011

The halls, third floor, reeked of bad Chinese food. Thye're trying to be more than they are, too pricey. Rooms were ok.

Room Tip: just ok not great
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Sacramento, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2011

Management was extremely rude and hostile. The breakfast was substandard. I have never had such a negative experience with a hotel owner!

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family

Been to Comfort Suites of Corvallis? Share your experiences!