“nice place, high price” 4 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersBronze level
ventura, United States
“nice place, high price”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2014

If not for the price and thinnest toilet paper on the planet I'd give it a 9. Close to harbor and things to do. Easy access to rooms downstairs. Alcohol available in the lobby! Great breakfast. I can't think of more, but need 200 characters to satisfy this review machine.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled on business

Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (74)
Corvallis, Oregon
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2014

We stayed here 1 night in August. We were surprised when we arrived to find a "mo"tel and not a hotel. Front desk was very friendly and helpful and gave us a map, directions and restaurant recommendations.

Our room was upstairs. No elevator. It was OK, but not up to "plus" standards. The bedding had been faded by the sun. The light to the vanity didn't always turn on or turned on after a delay. Next door was a room full of people and kids. Luckily we weren't in the room much because they were noisy and were running outside and up and down the stairs.

The wi-fi did not work at all. We tried in the room and got connected, we thought, for like a minute. We gave up after several attempts. Later my husband tried the wi-fi in the lobby thinking it only worked there. Still could not connect. Since they advertise free wi-fi it was frustrating that it didn't work at all.

We did like the location. We were able to walk downtown and explore the town two times and it was a nice walk. Unfortunately, when we decided to take a drive we came back to a full hotel and no parking anywhere near our room. Actually we found just 1 spot on the opposite side of the hotel. The parking spot was full of motorcycles taking up car spaces. Maybe motorcycle parking spaces would be a good idea.

Breakfast was fine. I can't eat gluten or much dairy, but found oatmeal, sausage (would prefer bacon), hard boiled eggs and juice. Enough to start the day. The fridge/micro in the room was a nice addition. Check out was quick and easy.

I would return based on the service and location.

Room Tip: There is no elevator, so be prepared to carry your bags upstairs. The wi-fi does not work well or a...
Green Features: They did offer a recycle bin in the room which was a nice addition that I hadn't seen before.
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
South San Francisco, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2014

I was very happy overall with the experience we had at this hotel. The 2-part "suite" fit my family of five, and had a full kitchen with a full-size refrigerator, stove, microwave, etc. The bedroom was semi-private from the rest of the room, and there were two TVs in the room so that the kids could watch what they wanted. The bathroom area was spacious and updated. Great wi-fi service. Plenty of outlets to plug in devices. Beautiful sea-life murals around the pool and hot-tub, which were well maintained. Staff responded quickly to all requests and needs.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with family

Oakland, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2014

There aren't a lot of choices for places to stay in Coos Bay. Based on other reviews, we went with the BWPlus. So glad we did. The rate was as expected for the a hotel room of this quality in this area. We were on motorcycles, so it's great that much of what's worth seeing in CB is within walking distance to this hotel. Had a great Italian dinner at Benetti's, wandered the wharf, checked out Mingus Park, went to the Art Gallery. Great location. Room was clean and spacious, everything you could need. But I really want to give high marks to the staff, particularly Janelle. Best Western needs to give that woman either a raise, a bonus, or an Ambassadorship. Whatever that is. I'm very claustrophobic, for real. Can trigger panic attacks. Not fun, I assure you. So I was really upset that we didn't get an upper level room. I could care less about views or noise. It's not like that. I just can't relax in a lower room. So I was upset. Janelle was as kind as she could be as she explained there's simply nothing she could do as they were sold out. She was sincerely apologetic but I was beyond consoling. I dragged my cranky self (?) down to our room and proceeded to devour a banana in an effort to fight off the hangries. Moments later, husband comes back to room and says "get your stuff, we're moving." WHAT?!?! Apparently Janelle was so invested in trying to make us happy that she called one of their regulars and asked if he'd mind switching rooms. My mind was blown. I mean, that she would do this for us?? Her problem was basically over the minute we left the office, but that's not how she saw it. She took this on totally owned the problem and worked out a beautiful solution. Her kindness really made our night. Thanks Janelle! I'll be staying here every time I visit Coos Bay. Also, really good breakfast.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Paso Robles, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2014

Room was clean nice young man checked us in ! It was very late so we didn't get to enjoy the pool and hot tub. But I will say it was the best bed I have ever had at a hotel !!! The breakfast was very nice. I wish it wasn't a quick stay but we were headed to Gold Beach to go on Jerry's jet boats. We would stay here again if in the area !!

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Ventura County, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2014

The staff is very friendly and helpful. The room was clean and the beds were comfy. I think the only negative would be that unless you have a room in the middle of the hotel you probably won't sleep well, because its in the middle of a busy street and you hear traffic all day and night. Another thing, they don't have an elevator, so if you're handicap or can't climb stairs let them know in advance. I made the mistake of assuming and had to get my room changed after checking in. The staff was very helpful and understanding though. I would stay here again if/when I go back up to Coos Bay.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family

Lynnwood, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2014

Room was clean and very comfortable. We will definitely stay here again. The breakfast was had a very good breakfast selection and the food I eat was very tasty. The shower head in the bathroom spun around which was a nice addition. My favorite thing was the bed. It was so comfortable.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Been to BEST WESTERN PLUS Holiday Hotel? Share your experiences!