“Best greasy spoon restaurant I've eaten at” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast
Dining options: Breakfast
Clackamas, Oregon
“Best greasy spoon restaurant I've eaten at”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2014

Always friendly service here. The food reminds me of diner style food. Big portions and so good, you know it's probably not the healthiest meal you have eaten. Only reason I gave them four stars is because it's busy every time we go here. It is kind of a small place, so we usually have to wait a little bit to get a seat.

• Visited January 2014

Eagle, Idaho
“Huge serving sizes”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2014

If you are in the mood for a gret big old style grease spoon place , this is it! Deans does old school breakfast , the are huge cooked to order and for the food portions very inexpensive .
It's great if you are looking for that ,
Mike

• Visited May 2014
Beaverton, Oregon
“Great TripAdvisor find!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2014 via mobile

This is where Trip Advisor really shines! We would never have known about this cafe otherwise. We went for breakfast about 8:30 am today, and there were a few folks there - it filled up fast. Some were obviously regulars, but everyone was welcomed and treated to the same cheerful banter from the server. The iced tea is A+++, the omelettes are HUGE, and the hash browns are perfectly done. I highly recommend this cafe!

Visited April 2014
Damascus, Oregon
“Best food on the planet!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2014

Everything on the menu is amazing. Whatever you add to your choice is cooked the best. Service provided with warm, friendly insults. The parking lot is always full, so it is no longer a hidden gem, but the wait is worth it. We followed them from Damascus to Clackamas and they didn't lose our signature cups.

• Visited March 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Clackamas, Oregon
“Dean's does it”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2014

I read the reviews here and since we haven't been to this location since it was known as the Clackamas House Restaurant many years ago, we thought we'd check out the latest rendition. We were hardly impressed by the Clackamas House's food, nor by the number of, or lack of, cars in the parking lot over intervening years. Admittently I hadn't paid much attention lately, and perhaps should have when we'd drive by at least weekly.

Indeed the lot was nearly full around 1 pm Friday, which is a good sign. The ambience of the place hasn't changed a whole lot, but my memory is dim as to that aspect - it's been so long since we've been there. I do, however, recall the houseflies circling what passed for a salad bar decades ago, and nothing approaching that was the case now at Dean's. Though still a bit rustic and simply decorated, the facility's arrangement is a bit different than I remember. We got a table by a large window where we could enjoy the early-spring day. I'm sure the yard and such add much to the view later in the season as trees and flowerbeds fill out, and somewhat block the adjacent busy highway.

But though the old 1930's era house offers its own character, that's not what its all about at Dean's. The house is only part of the "Homestyle" name of the place. Most of the reason this much-morphed place is popular again is the food, followed closely by the service. Back in the day, it seemed geared toward truckers and was pretty much a lone denison in this area of warehouses and distribution centers. Now a trucker would be hard-put to park his rig if he wanted to eat at Dean's, and no doubt the lot is stressed to accomodate cars at the busyiest times. Doubtless many in the industry - truckers, warehousemen, administrators, managers, office personnel, and hostlers - take personal vehicles as available and help to make up the regular clientele at Dean's.

Others here had touted the omelettes, and we considered splitting one, but ultimately I thought we should try a couple of the other offerings if I was going to critique the restaurant here. So after salivating over the idea of buscuits and gravy, the wife ordered that with scrambled eggs and bacon. I had had neither ham nor pancakes for awhile, so I got those with easy-over eggs and we both had hashbrowns instead of toast.

You know, I've often felt that a sign of a good breakfast place is how the hashbrowns look and taste. I can't count how many times I've had to deal with grated spuds with a sour off taste to them, usually from the cook not scraping the grill regularly and reusing old oil, or a stale freezer-burned flavor. You won't have this issue at Dean's, thank goodness. And they leave the seasoning to you, a much appreciated move by those of us watching blood pressure and sodium intake. Dean's hashbrowns aren't bitter or salty or dry, and are perfectly rendered inside, lightly browned outside with a pleasing texture difference.

The eggs are many, 3 I think, and executed as requested. My wife's first comment when served was how perfect her bacon was, and I can tell you she is very, very bacon-finicky! Have to admit, she got 4 very large, very perfectly cooked, thick pieces of lean bacon, and they weren't greasy. Kudos to the chef on pleasing her fussy palette; had I not had a huge piece of lean ham to handle myself, I would have tried obsconding with some of her bacon, no doubt without risking great personal harm.

The two large buttermilk pancakes were as perfectly finished as any I've had elsewhere, and arrived on a separate plate and with two pitchers optioning either blueberry or maple syrup which were both good. Not a speck of my meal remained at the end; I'd never waste a morsel of a meal this good. The wife's dream of buscuits and gravy paid off big; the buscuits were superbly done and the gravy defied the best she'd ever had in her 74 years, many of which were as a farm girl and wife where such meals were common.

The only negative observation entailed my wife's disapproval of the waiters' dresscode, which I agree could have used more discression. Though the girls were tidy and clean, at least one of the guys could have used a cleaner set of clothes. Perhaps he'd just came from repairing some component of the business or something, but he did seem a tad unkempt for a waiter. That aside, all of the staff were super-friendly, eager to answer questions, and attentive but not at all pushy for we first-timers trying to decide among the many menu offerings. Genuine smiles were free-flowing, appreciated, and added to the comfortable nature of Dean's.

I can see now why Dean's has captured so many people's fondness, and both my wife and I concur that it will be one of our favorite places to go from now on. The prices were pretty much concurrent with other area restaurants, but it appeared from the size of the meals that you get perhaps more of your money's worth here. Next time we may try sharing an omelet to save money, as I'm sure they are large enough, and our server agreed with a large grin that we'd be satisfied with such an endeavor. The only issue might be the wife and I agreeing on what kind of omelette among the many options. Dean's Ultimate is a likely winner. And one key to a great cafe is if we'd consider bringing out-of-town visitors to it for a meal.

I guarantee that Dean's will likely be the first place we think of now. Caution... they are only open until 3 p.m.; breakfast and lunch is what they do. One of these days we'll have to venture into their sandwich and burger menu. Yum!

• Visited March 2014