“Good and Getting Better” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
HHonors 2X Points Pkg
Ranked #2 of 7 hotels in Clackamas
San Diego, California
“Good and Getting Better”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2007

Up-conversion continues room-by-room. 1 smoking floor, rest not. Getting near Hilton Garden Inn standards for much less $. The air conditioning was changed to new in my room while out , fixing the condition others have found. Staff was extremely pleasant and helpful, expanded continental breakfast, computer usage, USA TODAY, NEWSWEEK, and weeknight snacks and beverages for free were great. On major traffic routes--a plus or minus depending.

Good business hotel, some families and teenagers present.; great value for the $$$, was not even charged higher rates for the Portland Rose Festival time. Downside is transporation from PDX requires paying airport taxis and the like $50 or more each way. Would stay again.

• Stayed May 2007, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

206 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Seaside, Oregon
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2007

The hotel is off the freeway and accessible to Portland by 20 minute drive. But when we got back to the hotel in the early evening, we found the experience enjoyable. Though a business hotel, it is freshly updated and the little extras (nacho chips in the lobby, cookies at arrival) made it feel cozy and comfortable. The rooms are small, but clean and well appointed, with great linens and good beds. Breakfast had enough options for most diets and tastes. I was most impressed with the service. It was a busy hotel and all staff from front desk to food service and housekeeping staff were intentionally friendly and appreciative of our business. The business center was great for last minute maps and the jacuzzi was a nice addition for the end of the day ahhhhh. Well done Hampton Clackamas.

• Stayed March 2007, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
A TripAdvisor Member
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2006

My husband & I stayed at this hotel on 7/4/06-7/05/06. We were on a driving trip up the West Coast, from San Diego to Seattle and back. This was one of our longer driving days, we were very exhausted, and it was around midnight when we checked in. We chose this hotel before our trip for basically three reasons: 1)We had some family in Oregon City, so this hotel put us slightly closer to them than a Portland hotel would have, 2)We've stayed at many Hampton Inns before and they have always been of similar, very nice standards, and 3)We saw there was an Old Spaghetti Factory listed close to the hotel. We only ended up staying at this hotel for about 10 hours, and if it hadn't been so late when we checked in and if we hadn't been so exhausted, we might have put up more of a fight or changed hotels altogether. But we figured we'd just bear it overnight. I never had any interaction with the front desk or staff, but my husband did, and he said things there seemed very disorganized, and they weren't very helpful with our few requests. My main issue immediately upon entering the hotel was the smell, and it unfortunately was even worse in the room itself. I thought maybe it was some overwhelming cleaning products used in the carpets or something, but my husband said it smelled like mold, and seemed to be originating from the A/C wall unit. The smell was so overpowering, it just made the entire experience in the room very bad. We turned off the A/C unit and opened the windows all night, in hopes of lessening the smell, but it didn't help much, and there was lots of noise outside and next door from our neighbors, who I guess were reveling into the wee hours after the 4th of July. The room was very small, and we were extremely surprised and disappointed to find NO refrigerator or microwave, which are supposed to be standard at all Hampton Inns! I should also mention that my husband travels so much on business that he is a Gold VIP member for this branch of hotels, so we're very familiar with what a Hampton Inn should be. It became very clear from our short stay that this hotel is NOT a true Hampton Inn, but a poorly done conversion. They have slapped on some Hampton Inn signs and decorations, but very little, if any, of the Hampton Inn quality or amenities were present. The smell in the room was so permeating that the nightgown I slept in at the hotel that night still carried the awful smell from the room when I pulled it out of my suitcase a few days later in another city. Considering we didn't even check in until after midnight, we left quite quickly around 10:30am, but we still had more unpleasant experiences in that short stay. I was awoken several times during the night by loud bangs that shook the room and people's loud voices, and for the first time in many many years (back when we couldn't afford to stay anywhere but low quality hotels) I didn't feel very safe in the room, and was kind of afraid to go back to sleep, because I felt like someone might enter our room. I guess I wasn't completely off, as around 8:30am in the morning after we had woken up, I thought I heard a small knock, but I couldn't tell if it was at our door or someone else's. My husband was just getting out of bed to check it out, when we heard our door opening and someone starting to come in. Assuming it was maid service, my husband called out "Hold on, hold on!" and whoever it was quickly closed the door and disappeared. I understand maid service needing to service rooms, but they are supposed to adequately knock before entering, and they should have known we were checking out, so in a short time the room would be clear for them anyways. In all our hotel stays, I've never had this happen with staff surprising us by entering the room almost completely unannounced! And after reading some of the other reviews about how their personal food was stolen from the room and remnants found in the service elevator, it makes me wonder if someone was perhaps up to something more sinister in entering our room. Regardless, the only good thing I can say is that it was a short drive to the Old Spaghetti Factory, but I'm sure there are other hotels close by, or given the choice I would rather have stayed further away at a better hotel. Like I said, if we hadn't been so exhausted, we wouldn't have been able to tolerate these standards, but we were desperate to get some sleep, and then we got the heck out of there a few hours later, and didn't even bother with breakfast, so I can't report on how this aspect compared to other Hampton Inns. As a comparison, a few nights later on our drive back south, we stayed at a Hampton Inn in Redding, CA, where we paid $10 more than we did in Clackamas, but the quality was so much better I can't even put into words. The rooms in Redding were spacious, smelled fine, looked very nice, and had microwave and fridge along with coffee, tea and popcorn. The price in Clackamas is not so cheap that it's worth such poor quality, in my opinion. I would certainly not stay here again, and it was a big negative on our trip (and on my husband's birthday, too!!), so I would advise anyone else to stay elsewhere.

• Stayed July 2006
California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2006

Not a bad little hotel. One of the older Hamptons but clean and close to lots of stuff. Cathy at the front desk was just great! The breakfasts are always great! For the price it can't be beat

Sacramento, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2006

We read the earlier reviews and requested a room away from the freeway. Our request was honored. The room was quiet, clean, and comfortable. It was inexpensive to begin with, made even more so with an AARP discount.

Check-in staff was particularly welcoming and helpful, and breakfast was adequate. Hampton Inn, Clackamas made a good first impression. We would stay at a Hampton Inn again.

• Stayed February 2006
A TripAdvisor Member
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2005

The hotel is sandwiched by the freeway, a busy highway, and a very busy street. The freeway is elevated, so on many floors, you get lights and noise.... BE SURE to ask for a room away from the freeway. They have a map, but it doesn't begin to tell the story. In addition, the toilet, malfunctioned and in three days and two nights, we couldn't get anybody to fix it.

Furthermore, we left food in our room which disappeared within 15min of us leaving the room. the containers were found in the service well.

The good thing is that Hampton refunded our money...kept their word..surprising in this day.

• Stayed October 2005, traveled on business
westminster
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2005

The desk clerk was very pleasant on check-in, but unable to answer any questions. As Hilton Diamond VIP member we asked if she had been able to upgrade us which is one of the perks for achieving that level in the frequent guest program. She said she didn't know. We then asked what type of room we had been assigned and she again said she didn't know, On the way to the room we noticed a strong, unpleasant moldy odor. The room also smelled very badly. We opened the window hoping to air out the room and went down to the Manager's Reception. When we asked where the wine was , the same clerk said she thought the Manager went out to get some, but again didn't know when or if the manager would return. The snacks consisted of a bowl of tortilla chips, a bowl of salsa and some popcorn. We left and returned to the room. The noise from the open window and the adjacent highway was very loud. We decided to leave and when we asked the same desk clerk if she would cancel the charge, she said she would try, but it was a new computer system and she HOPED it would cancel it. This experience was time consuming and frustrating. We eventually checked into another hotel for the night.

• Stayed September 2005

Been to Hampton Inn Portland Clackamas? Share your experiences!