“Exceptional Effort Find Me a Rom” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
1,000 bonus reward points
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Cascade Locks
Huntsville, Alabama
“Exceptional Effort Find Me a Rom”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2012

I really needed to stay four five nights but there was no availability for the middle night. I was concerned I'd have to check out for the night I didn't have a reservation but the hotel staff kept track of the fact that I needed the room and a cancellation came in just in time. They made sure to call my room to make sure I knew a room had came available and they let me have the room at the same lower rate that I had for the other nights - something they didn't have to do. My room faced the streets I never had a problem with the trains. The room was very large and we had plenty of room to spread and all of our stuff. They had something I haven't seen in a hotel in more than a year and I travel a lot - they had a blue basket for us to place recyclables in. It is nice to see a place that cares about the environment. The room had a very large refrigerator and microwave (although this seemed underpowered). The AC ran continually and cold air blew on my head while sleeping. I gave up after my first night and turned it off at night and slept OK. Now for the breakfast: They sat out hot cocoa and hot cider packages near the coffee which was a very nice touch. The coffee was better than I find in most BWs and the breakfast was excellent as they had sausage gravy, biscuits, egg patties, sausage links/patties, ham slices, hard boiled eggs, Yoplait yogurt, skim milk for cereal (again many BWs only have 2%). This hotel does a very good job taking care of their guests and I highly recommend it.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (151)
Oregon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2012

Great location. Friendly service, clean and comfy. The view from my bed was awesome. Ground floor the trains were just a low rumble.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
Spokane
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2012

The king size bed was outstanding in comfort. Unfortunately when we booked through AAA, we didn't find out about our ground floor view of the parking lot. The sink and bathroom was separate with isn't pleasant especially with more than one person. Shower temp as nice and hot. There seemed to be a pleasant outside seating area with a view of the river. We didn't hear any train noises on the parking lot side of the building. We didn't see many staff; at checkin there were two blonde women working the desk. One, who seemed younger and seemed to do most of the checkins at our time, was very patient and helpful; the other was rude and impatient before retreating to the office after checking us in. The woman maintaining the breakfast room was very nice. The breakfast was ok although American hotels have a bleh free breakfast, but it was ok for the price. I'd say the worst part about the hotel was the guests who came down to breakfast bickering or communicating loudly, wearing pajamas, and looking like they just crawled out of bed without bathing or combining hair (this seems to be common in every hotel on our trip).

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
Battle Ground, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2012

We have stayed here in the past and really enjoyed it. The view of the river is great, the room was very nice and comfortable. Yes the train tracks are close by but we didn't hear it all that much.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Oshkosh, Wisconsin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2012

This is an excellent place to stay when visiting Columbia River Gorge. The rooms are spacious and clean. The beds are good. It has a decent pool and hot tub. Rooms have frigs and microwaves. The staff is friendly and helpful. They had great suggestions for restaurants and hiking.

The only possible negative that people should be aware of is that the train runs almost directly behind the hotel. If you have a river front room, you may hear the train going by at 3am in the morning. I should say that it never really bothered me and I'll a light sleeper. If you think it may be a problem for you, ask for a non-river view room and I'm sure the train issue will be a non-factor. Again I think for most people this won't be a problem.

I would highly recomend The Big River Grill in Stevenson, Washington. I think Stevenson has better places to eat than Cascade Locks, Ore. Aviod the drive-in in Cascade Locks.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Augusta, Ga.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2012

The Best Western in Cascade Locks is about the only place to stay in Cascade Locks. The hotel is clean with large rooms. Breakfast was pretty good for a free meal. Food was plentiful and hot with good variety. The views of the river are great next to The Bridge of the Gods. Some people might think the trains being so close would make to much noise but I never heard them.

Room Tip: If train noise bothers you pick a room on the highway side. Views will not be as good.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Meridian, Idaho
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2012

Everything about our experience here was good and that does not happen very often.

The Good:
The service desk lady was very friendly, helpful and “real”. I think her name was Dawn, but I waited too long to do my reviews, so I am not sure.
The price was a good value.
The room and beds were comfortable. There was enough room for a port-a-crib, which we really appreciated.
The pool was simple, but we enjoyed it.
Breakfast was great tasting, but I would really like more healthy options. Fr example, they could add yogurts w/o refined sugar, whole grain waffles and breads, and more fruit.

The Bad:
Nothing to report!

Room Tip: River view = train going by. We weren't too bothered by the noise, but we have CPAPs that make w...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
Skamania Lodge
Skamania Lodge
#1 of 4 in Stevenson
4.0 of 5 stars 859 reviews

Been to BEST WESTERN PLUS Columbia River Inn? Share your experiences!