“Clean & Comfortable, Great View” 4 of 5 stars

Offers & Announcements
Save up to 20%
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Cascade Locks
Tumwater, Washington
“Clean & Comfortable, Great View”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2012

My partner and I just returned from a wonderful getaway at the Cascade Locks Best Western Plus. Of course, we forgot our swimsuits because it is winter, so don't forget yours if you like to use the indoor pool and hot tub. This BW Plus is well maintained, clean, and staff are friendly and greet you with a smile when you arrive. The views of the Columbia River are breathtaking. We woke up to a Bald Eagle flying to its nest across the river. The extra money for a river-view room is well worth it. Beds and pillows are newer and very comfortable. It is true that the train tracks are directly below the hotel, however, this should not discourage you from staying here. It does not come that often and did not disturb my sleep at all, and I am a light sleeper. You cannot hear cars on the bridge either unless you have your window open and are trying to hear them. I slept great. The water stays consistently hot in the shower, and the room comes with a coffee maker, mini-fridge, and microwave (so bring micro-popcorn if you'd like). The town of Cascade Locks is small. We had dinner at this place called the Pacific Cres Pub, which is in town, 2 blocks east and within walking distance from the hotel. They had delicious burgers, fresh salads, and beer. The free breakfast offered at the hotel in the morning was wonderful. It was probably the biggest selection of breakfast goods I have seen at a hotel. There were sausages, whole wheat toast, oatmeal, fresh waffles, cereal. fruit, eggs, cheese omelets, etc. Very impressive and delicious.

This BW Plus is located directly next to the Bridge of The Gods, which costs $1 each way to cross and links Oregon and Washington. Across the bridge is a newer museum called the Columbia Gorge Interpretive Center. It's about $8. per person, but well worth the cost. Lots and lots of historic artifacts and well presented exhibits for the whole family. A little father is the town of Stevensen with some good restaurants, larger grocery store, and liquor store. All in all, this is a nice, well maintained property. I would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: Select a room with a view of the river.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Sandy P, General Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS Columbia River Inn, responded to this review, March 16, 2012
We are very pleased you enjoyed your stay with us, and yes The Bald Eage "couple" has returned this late winter to the delight of our guest this week. It has been great fun to watch them.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (124)
Or
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2012

We have stayed here twice so far and will stay again. Once just my wife and I and once with our 5 year old son. Both times we had a very enjoyable experience. Check-Inn was fast and friendly. My son accidently left his Nintendo DS at the front desk, rather than the desk clerk just pocketing it and saying she never saw it, she called our room to let us know. As we approached the desk she was wiping the rain off the DS for him. How awesome is that. It was nice that she called us and it was a good learning experience for him.

Our room was great and the views....are spectacular! The rooms are clean and the beds are very comfortable. Our family loves the trains that go buy, its very nostalgic. I've read other reviews for this hotel and was shocked that people didn't know it had a train next to it. Do some research... its the COLOMBIA RIVER! It even says it in the name of the hotel, of course there are trains and boats. They even provide ear plugs for the guests that "didn't realize" they were staying at the Columbia River Inn....that happens to be on the Columbia River, the fourth largest river in the US. Its like staying at the JFK international air port and not expecting to hear airplane noise. Gotta love the internets.

Room Tip: Its on the 4th largest river in the US....expect train and boat noise.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
NW Oregon
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2012

Before I asked my husband to make a reservation here I read the reviews. They did not sound bad, things like loud train, don't stay near stairs and don't stay across breakfast room. So, the train, not really loud and it doesn't even honk the horn so no big deal. As for the other two I tried to get my husband to call and get a room away from the stairs and breakfast room. He failed to do this timely. When we arrived at 6pm, quite early from other Portlanders, we were told the only King Jacuzzi room with Balcony were on the ground room. I was not happy but Dawn the receptionist said she had never heard of their being a complaint.....We proceed to our room, open the door, I go to check out the Balcony.......The Best Western Plus Columbia River Inn has MISINFORMATION on the website. All ground floor Balconies are glorified PATIOS, which are only 12-14" above the ground where the walking path is 4 feet away! I could not enjoy the view the entire time! The only solution the hotel could come up with was to offer us a (2) Queen room to move into, did I mention this was our 9 year wedding anniversary.

Update 2/15/12: The Best Western refunded a substantial portion of my husbands payment back to his credit card. I don't know if this was because of the customer service complaint I filed with the company or internet remarks I have made, but I am very thankful they have "fixed" this problem. I may possibly stay another time, but only if I can be guaranteed it is not on the ground floor.

Room Tip: DO NOT stay on ground floor unless you want perverts to peek in your room. Do not get room #105 with...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
As in our phone conversation, I am so very sorry our room discription did not meet your expectation during your recent stay with us. We do appreciate your business very much.
Rainier, Washington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2012

We stayed overnight at this hotel in early December. We had a room overlooking the Columbia River and we were all very impressed with the location and view. We were on the third floor which offered a great view and a covered balcony. Although it was cold we did spend time on the balcony enjoying the view.

The room was nice and clean; the breakfast room roomy with an overflow area that had terrific views. The pool area was great and the staff pleasant.

An enjoyable stay and someplace I would definitely stay again and recommend.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
Lancaster, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2011

We have stayed at this hotel several times, while visiting our Grandson nearby. It is very clean, very friendly staff, just off of the highway and at the rivers edge.There is also a nice indoor pool. It is worth the few extra dollars to have a river view room, overlooking the Columbia River and just east of the Bridge of the Gods(really). Nice included breakfast. My only recommendation is to keep your window closed at night or it will sound as if the train is coming through your room. There are freight trains on both sides of the river, but on the hotel side they are right under your window and they run day and night. There really are not many hotel choices between Portland's suburbs and the next big town, Hood RIver.

Room Tip: My only recommendation is to keep your window closed at night or it will sound as if the train is co...
  • Stayed December 2010, traveled with family
Washington State
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2011

This is a nice hotel right on the Columbia River. Rooms were decorated nice and beds were quite comfortable. We had a room on the first floor under the stairs, the noise level was horrible, from people walking on the stairs. However, if you avoid being under the stairs it's a nice hotel. Didn't get to try the hot tub because it wasn't working. Pool was nice. Breakfast was great and so were the ladies working the breakfast! Front desk staff was nice but nothing too special. Good "observation" area with tables that you can sit and play games, work etc. I would probably return.

Room Tip: High floor!!
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
Portland, OR
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2011

This is a great find. The rooms are extremely nice and many have balconies overlooking the Columbia River, which is directly below the rooms. View is phenomenal. Great access to the Washington side of the river (1 minute away over Bridge of the Gods, a toll bridge). The breakfast is free and is typical "fill me up" fare. The negative is that a train goes by directly under the rooms with some frequency. The noise isn't extremely loud, but loud enough to cause a very light sleeper to either have trouble getting to sleep or staying asleep. The problem is very easily solved by earplugs or, as I prefer, bringing a sleep/white noise machine. Finally, the hotel is just miles away from all the terrific sights of the Columbia Gorge, which truly is a scenic wonder.

Room Tip: Ask for a balcony room. Definitely worth the small upgrade cost as you can sit out and look over the...
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to BEST WESTERN PLUS Columbia River Inn? Share your experiences!