“World Class Resort Perfection in Cannon Beach, OR” 5 of 5 stars

Surfsand Resort
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   148 West Gower Ave, Cannon Beach, OR 97110   |
Ranked #6 of 14 Hotels in Cannon Beach
Sunnyside, Washington
“World Class Resort Perfection in Cannon Beach, OR”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2014

We stay at the Surfsand Resort each Spring at the end of April for a week. Over the last few years have been amazed at the quality of the whole experience. We have stayed in other ocean resorts in the Caymans, Mexico, Caribbean, and Hawaii, and this resort has it all (except warm ocean water). The buildings are perfectly maintained. Elevator access to the second levels, fabulous ocean views, balconies where you can sit and read and hear, smell and see the magnificent Pacific Ocean. The view of Haystack Rock landmark is breathtaking. Although the Resort is a bit of a walk into Cannon Beach, which is enjoyable, the Resort also has shuttle service into town for shopping, or dining. There are several amazing restaurants just steps from the Resort. The Wayfarer and the Irish Table are both a gourmet's delight and very close. The Resort staff is so accommodating in every way that we look forward to this experience every year. The rooms are excellent. Beds are marvelous with your own extra down comforter tucked away in the closet. Small kitchen/bar corners add to the convenience with microwave, small refrigerator, small counter area and cupboard with full set of dishes for two including wine glasses, and silverware. There are many types of rooms, but the ones we select also have a nice table and chairs where we can sit and have coffee or wine and look out at the ocean, as well as a couch, and fireplace, and large soaking tub. This is also an adults only building so it is very quiet with the exception of the ocean waves. In our estimation, it is just perfect.

Room Tip: We prefer the adults only building that is ocean front. We also request the top floor, and love th...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
SUManager, General Manager at Surfsand Resort, responded to this review, April 5, 2014
We’re glad you like the beautiful location! We love the view of Haystack rock as well. We wish we could make the ocean a little warmer for you—but we’re glad that you enjoyed the rest of your vacation and the wonderful view anyway! We look forward to hosting you again.

Jerry W Martin

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (172)
Lake Oswego, Oregon, USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2014

We have stayed at several hotels at Cannon Beach. Many of them are rather "beachy".

I was happily surprised that the rooms at the Surfsand were clean, updated, comfortable, and nice!

We had a 2-bedroom suite. The bed was very comfortable.
TV is each bedroom, bathroom, and living room.

We would definitely stay at the Surfsand again.
The staff were friendly and accommodating.

AND the weather was super- in February!!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
We love to hear that you and your family found a room to your liking. We hope you were able to enjoy the wonderful amenities in the rooms such as the gas fireplace, the Tempur-pedic bed, and the balcony. Next time you’re with us you should check out our seasonal cabana service. The cabana staff is great and can take care of you down on the beach.

Portland, Oregon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2014

My husband and I live an hour from Cannon Beach, and visit several times a year. We have stayed at many different hotels in the area, and Surfsand is far and away our favorite. The indoor pool and jacuzzi are clean and relaxing. The staff is very friendly and accommodating. You can often call in the morning and get a room for that night, and they frequently run room specials, so be sure to ask. The rooms are clean, nicely accommodated, with very comfy beds, jetted tubs, and fireplaces. Splurge for one of the upper floor ocean view rooms with a balcony, even if it is only for one night of your stay. Fantastic views, with plenty to see and do within walking distance. Try to go during the summer and early fall months, when they have bonfires on the beach in front of the hotel. You will not want to leave.

Room Tip: Splurge for one of the upper floor ocean view rooms with a balcony and leave the windows cracked for...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
It’s always great to have returning Surfsand guests. Our cabana staff truly is wonderful and are always happy to help you have fun down on the beach. The view from our beach front rooms is spectacular. Thank you for staying with us and we hope to have you again!

San Francisco, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2014

We stayed at the Surfsand over the Christmas holidays and were very impressed by the quality of the room and facilities. They really go above and beyond when they probably don't even have to- there is so much demand for hotels at the Oregon coast that I was not expecting this kind of luxury for the price.
The room is large and has some nice amentities: fireplace, couch, bathrobes, seperate bathtub, minibar areas with plates, fridge, etc. The bed itself was large and comfortable. We reserved the least expensive category room (not ocean front) and were pleasantly surprised that it still had a great view looking right at Haystack Rock!
The indoor pool and spa is a great feature and we loved the free movie rentals (that includes popcorn!).
The location is a little outside of town but easily walkable into town or a very short drive.
Overall, this is a great location- right on the beach and a perfect way to just get away from things and relax.
One thing to note- do not expect to be able to get into your room early if it is a busy time of year. We arrived early and our room was not ready until the exact minute it was promised. The good news is it was ready on time, but don't expect it to be ready early.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
We’re glad to hear that you enjoyed your holiday with us. The location is great and we even offer a complimentary driving service that can take you anywhere in town. We can’t wait to have you back again!

Seattle, Washington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2014

We went to Surfsand for a winter getaway. It snowed on the way there and we nearly couldn't get there. Once we did, we were warmly welcomed. We had a beach front view, with the king bed in a separate room so it made for a cozy place to sit by the fireplace and watch the ocean whenever we weren't walking on the beach. I have arthritis and the person I talked with when I made the reservation helped me select the best room and the best access. Just a few shallow stairs down to the beach. Could not be any closer.

They are also very welcoming to pets. Dogs are accommodated with everything needed, including bowls, treats, a little blanket and name posted on the welcome board in the lobby. Too cute!

The rooms are kept clean, the staff is respectful of your needs. The bathroom is spa-like and the bed is very comfortable. The small space is used to the max. It was strange not to have any place to hang anything in the bedroom, but there's a closet in the hallway. I do prefer a set up with a kitchenette, but we were able to make do for breakfasts and lunches with the snack fridge and small microwave. Being big coffee drinkers, the little filter pod coffee maker was not a hit, but I can understand how it would suit most guests.

We ate two dinners and our last breakfast at the onsite restaurant, The Wayfarer, and they were all great. Staff was attentive and accommodating, food was good for the most part. Enjoyed their salads and clam chowder especially, and the bacon at breakfast was super. I'd dined there years ago and had the best caesar salad with blackened salmon. It wasn't on the menu, but I asked and they made it special. Yum!

With the snowy long weekend, we spent most of our time walking the dog and sitting in the living room, enjoying the fire and the view. At one point we watched one young man in a wet suit with surfboard under his arm head for the water, and another dressed in parka and knit cap trekking up the beach on cross country skis. That's a winter memory I won't soon forget.

Probably because it's off-season, there was construction going on in rooms next to ours during the day. Good to take the slow time to make improvements. I'll bet after we left the did some regrouting in our bathroom and replaced the missing insulation strip under the door. I had to put a towel down to stop the draft. But in general the room was well done and comfy.

I used the pool one morning and was the only one it it. It's a bit too small and too shallow to get a really good swim in but a great place for kids and families. And decorated very nicely, felt like I was a world away in some warm, steamy place. Nice. For me, it was a very restful getaway. For my boyfriend, who likes to be out and about exploring, the snowstorm made for a less restful vacation. That and the fire alarm then went off one night when the sprinkler system sprung a leak, fortunately in a stairwell and not in someone's room.

All in all a very nice place. Can't beat the view or beach access or the friendly staff. I recommend it.

Room Tip: Ask the staff when you make your reservation. They really pointed me in the right direction, listene...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
SUManager, General Manager at Surfsand Resort, responded to this review, April 16, 2014
Glad these little touches added to your experience, pet accommodations, easy beach access, clean rooms, and kids 10 and under eat for free with an accompanying adult having an entree . Come again soon!

Hope to see you soon,
Jerry W. Martin
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2014

It was a great pleasure staying at Surfside Beach Resort. We had checked in during some pretty bad weather, but the stay was still terrific. The staff was very accomodating, helpful, and kind. The restaurant on site, The Waveverly, is excellent for breakfast, lunch, or dinner. The rooms are truly the selling point with Dream Spa beds, flat screen tvs, beach views, fireplaces, and spacious tubs and showers. They are immaculate and housekeeping does a great job respecting your requests for cleaning. The beach is very clean, accessible, and great if you have a dog Normally, I do not like hotels with pets, but they maintain the cleanliness of the property very well.
The staff including the front desk and bell hop were my favorite, but the whole experience was truly memorable. I definitely would love to visit this hotel again in the warmer weather and will recommend it to other friends and family. Hope you have a fantastic stay at this resort!

Room Tip: Beachfront and Beachside are both excellent
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
We’re glad you enjoyed your room and all the amenities it had to offer! The Wayfarer, our onsite restaurant, does have a fantastic menu. Next time maybe try room service so you can relax in your room while you eat. We look forward to seeing you in the future.

Ellensburg, Washington
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2014

My significant other and I traveled to Cannon Beach a few days after Christmas and spent 2 nights at the Surfsand. Overall we were very happy with our service at the hotel. Staff at the hotel were great. Housekeeping in the morning was very nice and polite (we had hung our sign up requesting the room be cleaned while we were out but were still finishing up grabbing our stuff and brushing teeth, housekeeping waited patiently and did not rush us out of the room which was very much appreciated). Rooms were comfortable, clean, and well decorated. The soaking tub was a decent size and a nice way to end the day. We had a limited view room and the view was really not that limited, great view of Haystack Rock and fairly easy beach access. Front desk staff was pleasant and helpful. My minor complaints with the hotel were related to billing practices. Upon booking the room you pay a deposit equal to one night’s stay. Upon check in you are immediately charged for the rest of your stay plus an additional $50 charge that gets refunded back at the end of your stay. Deposits and payments get withdrawn from your account immediately yet when it comes to refunding that extra $50 it takes several days to get that money back. Nothing terrible, but a little frustrating that they are quick to take money and slow to give it back. My main problem though was with the connected restaurant, the Wayfarer. After being seated we waited for a bizarre amount of time before anyone bothered to even take our order, the food was pricey and not that good (I have eaten much better food for half the cost), overall service was poor, one of the sides tasted like cat food, and when I checked my bill an extra $2.50 had been added. In good news I provided feedback to the hotel and was quick to get a response, but was never actually ever able to connect because of my own crazy work schedule.

During our visit in December my boyfriend had proposed and we have been planning a return trip for a wedding in October. The staff I have been working with in regards to that have been amazing at responding to emails, providing group discounts, and overall just being great to work with. I had initially contacted several different hotels because I was so turned off by my experience with the Wayfarer, but the staff has just been so great and helpful that they won back my business. My fiancé and I will be returning to the hotel again at the beginning of March to finalize some of our plans, so hoping to increase our rating after this next experience. Maybe we will even consider giving the Wayfarer another chance during this next visit, because as it stands now we are leery about catering for our event and potentially planning on warning our guests away from eating there. Maybe it was just an off day.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
SUManager, General Manager at Surfsand Resort, responded to this review, February 18, 2014
I would like to first and foremost apologize for the unsatisfactory service you received at our restaurant. We appreciate your visit and realize you have many dining options in the area. We set our standards much higher than the service and quality of food you have described and would like to let you know that we will follow up with our staff about following through with the details of a visit that can make or break your level of customer satisfaction. Thank you for bringing this matter to our attention and we hope that we can earn your business again one day. If you would like to provide me with your mailing address, it would be our pleasure to send you a gift card in hopes of you giving us an additional opportunity to improve your perception of our restaurant. We will look forward to hosting you in March, if I may be of any further assistance please do not hesitate to call me.

Jerry W. Martin

Been to Surfsand Resort? Share your experiences!