“Simple and good” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 16 Cannon Beach B&B and Inns
Seattle
“Simple and good”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2013

Had a winter visit to Cannon Beach, and we stayed at the Cannon Beach Hotel's adjacent property The Courtyard. The staff were great, the room was clean, the bed was comfortable and the linens quality, and the bathtub was massive. The Courtyard is for couples only, and was very quiet. Like most hotels, it is located just steps from the beach.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (65)
Portland, Oregon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2013

We stayed here just this weekend, after randomly deciding to not drive back to PDX, and just enjoy Cannon Beach for once (instead of just cruising past it). I checked a more expensive place down the beach, but decided that we just needed a simple place to warm up and sleep. As suggested by the visitor's center, we headed to #18 on the map, Cannon Beach Hotel/Lodge.

I bustled in wearing sweats and a hoodie, drowsy, and admittedly flustered. But the warmth of the fireplace and furnishing welcomed me, along with the nice ladies at the desk. It was small, but pretty beautiful--more than I could've hoped for. You see the outside, and how bland it is, but the finishes on the inside are so nice. It really feels like a modernized B&B.

Anywho, we were checked in in less than a minute, after I gave them the special rate I was offered by the visitor's center. But I was told to come back in an hour (I was too early to check in). That gave us time to find a toothbrush, and basic toiletries, and something to eat. We walked the beach, checked out a clothing store, went back to the visitor's center for food suggestions, hit up the fish restaurant, and returned to the hotel around 5.

We were handed real keys oO, and a slip of paper with all of the info we need. Ever noticed how getting the wifi login info is next to impossible? No problem here. Our room was quaint, styled nicely, with lots of glass and marble. We had a fireplace and a small bed, but roomy for us. A basic box TV... We went down the the little cafe to get coffee and hot coco, and laid out on the long chairs in there--the only ones there, sipping from our glass mugs and listening to the crackling 20s music while reading the paper.

The room... It had the sharpest bathroom I've ever seen. I may be a simpleton, but gosh, that bathroom was sharp! Muted lighting, hidden sliding door, real tile--lots of things that show the hotel's history. Very classic and historical.

The shower grew on me. The pressure it was at initially was harsh, numbing, so forceful that I couldn't stand directly under it. And the hot is HOT, easy to scald if you aren't careful. Until I figured out the taps, I was gasping for air (but weirdly enjoying the struggle). I passed it off as a quirk, turned the right tap for the pressure, but left the HOT going. I didn't mind the steamroom/sauna like shower once I cracked the door a bit and turned down the pressure.

The bed was soft, and we stayed up watching FX Movies and Iron Chef. Sadly, our fireplace didn't turn on again after we turned it off. We were plenty warm and it didn't matter, but it would've been nice to have.

The breakfast bar the next morning was very cute, with a selection of quiches and potato thingies. The spinach quiche was the best.

We left shortly afterward, but would've loved to just stick around town til checkout.

The next time we're in town, looking for a place to stay (probably every month or so) we'll be here!

Room Tip: We had room #1, right in the main building. As a building that doesn't allow pets or children, i...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Seattle, USA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

My husband and I stayed here for two nights recently. The inn itself is a beautiful, historic building and even though our room was small (it was the cheapest), it was lovely. We also really enjoyed the dining room downstairs and the breakfast served every morning. Breakfast included muffins, quiche, yogurt, cereal, coffee, tea, etc. and felt very much like a European B&B.

The location of the inn was also very nice. It is not in the heart of town, but is located close to Haystack Rock. It was an easy walk down to the beach.

I would have given this inn five stars, but we hated the shower! The bathroom looked beautiful, but the huge shower head came down from the ceiling and since the spray filled up the entire circumference of the shower, we felt like we couldn't breath. I literally had to stick my head out of the shower curtain, take a breath, and then go back in. This may sound like an overreaction, but it was a really annoying shower.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Portland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

We stayed one night in one of the premier suites upstairs. There was a partial view of Haystack and the ocean. The room was a nice size with a gas fireplace and two comfy chairs for reading next to the many windows in the room. The location is perfect for walking the beach, a short walk to town, and across the street from the best restaurant in town (Irish Table). It was an art festival weekend so there was an artist painting in the lobby, and lots of art shows in town. The front desk was very friendly and we enjoyed our stay very much.

Room Tip: Rooms in the back are quieter.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Spokane, Washington, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2012

Great location a block from the beach. Don't even have to cross the street. Right near haystack rock. The room was great, clean and modern. LOVED that this place didn't allow children. The breakfast in the morning was perfect, some quiche, fruit, cereal, Danish, all we needed to start off the day. The breakfast seating are was nice and comfortable. We even got take out one night and used that lounge to have dinner. The location is nice since you aren't right in the traffic of downtown, and totally doable walk. There is also a deli right next door, a coffee spot, and a market. Also some restaurants right around, all walkable.

Not a lot of cons...but the bed was a little low, and we are used to a king so the queen was a squeeze. The the shower head is directly above you, but we deal for 2 nights.

Room Tip: Their website allows you to see the location of every room in the hotel. We picked room # 4 since i...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Vancouver, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2012

It's a cute little hotel with lots of history, but room #4 is very small. The room had 2 windows because it was on the top left corner of the front of the hotel facing the street. The room only had a double bed with barely any room on each side to get around it, which means there is very little room for any luggage. Bathroom is small but clean and does its purpose. The shower is tiled against the corner of the bathroom with a rain showerhead and the old school shower curtain that goes around you in a circle. I felt very claustrophobic while I was having a shower because once the curtains were closed around you there pretty much wasn't any room to move, let alone try to shave your legs. They could have used the space a little better in the bathroom as there were a couple of unused corners where the shower could be expanded into and shelf placed in the other corner. Our stay included a light breakfast which consisted of egg quiche, scones, muffins, granola/cheerios/oatmeal, yogurt, and fruit. Free wifi was included also but we weren't able to access it at all in our room, so we would go down into the lobby to use it. There is no one at the front reception from 10pm until 8am the next morning so don't expect to get a room if you're rolling in at midnight. FYI - most of the stores/restaurants will close around 9pm/10pm so it's pretty much dead after that time.

We also got a package for one of the nights, S'mores & more package, which was a big plastic bucket with a bundle of firewood, newspaper, marshmallows, graham crackers, hershey's chocolate bars, 2 roasting sticks, 2 beach towels, and a lighter to have a beach fire on Cannon Beach for $20. Things they could have done better with this package...perhaps some kind of piece of paper with instructions/tips to go with it that could include beach campfire etiquette/rules, how to build a campfire, some kindling to help start the fire since it's so windy on the beach, maybe even a little explanation of what s'mores are and how to make them for those people who aren't familiar with North American culture...? I dunno, just sayin. In any case, all of these items are available at numerous places in town and chances are you can probably get most of it for less than $20 minus the bucket to cart it to the beach and towels you probably already have with you. It's pretty awesome I have to say though. Sunset on the beach and then campfire with s'mores. When it's dark, just take a look around you on the beach and there will be 20 other groups of people with campfires, it's so pretty.

Other than these minor hiccups, Cannon Beach is beautiful and highly recommend spending a few days here. There are plenty of options for accommodations, but advise you to book in advance for summer if that's when you're planning to go. If there's a group of you going, I would suggest renting a cottage/cabin, we saw some pretty cute ones as well as some amazing ones right on the beach.

Unfortunately I seem to have done something with my camera that left the images of the hotel and room unidentified...? Whatever that means, so I don't have photos to upload for this review. You'll just have to trust me on this one.

I'm sure the other rooms might be nicer than the one that we were in because the bf said he saw into another room and it had a fireplace in it and by the looks of other reviews some rooms have tubs in them. I guess for $120/night you get what you pay for...?

Maybe I should just say I don't recommend staying in Room #4 at this hotel.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Hong Kong
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2012

Very chilly greating from the receptionist in green glasses. But the rooms were nice and the bathtubs magnificent. Too bad they don't provide bubbles or salts. Located off the beach so the views are not as expansive as might be expected. Excellent breakfast, great variety and something for everyone.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Cannon Beach Hotel? Share your experiences!