“Just ok” 3 of 5 stars

Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Bend, Oregon
“Just ok”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2013

We stopped for dinner there while staying at McBee Cottages. It looked like a nice place from the outside, and we were celebrating a special birthday. When we entered we stood in the lobby, no one came to greet us. We had almost decided to turn around and leave when someone showed up and seated us. We were the only ones in the restaurant which made us wonder if we should question our decision to stay. I ordered a cocktail, my husband ordered a beer. Beer only comes in a can there, but he said ok. We ordered dinner, he had the rib eye and I had the halibut. It was just ok. Nothing special. Neither of us touched the vegetables on our plates. They just didn't look very appetizing. While we were eating we saw other couples enter the restaurant and stand there waiting to be seated. When no one came to seat them they turned around and walked out. I wonder if the restaurant realizes they are losing potential customers? Maybe that is why there was only one other couple in the restaurant while we were there. Would I recommend this restaurant? No, I think we could have done better elsewhere.

Visited September 2013

West Richland, WA, United States
“Pleasant atmosphere and good food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2013

Service was good, the menu was varied and reasonably priced. We had Crab Louie's crab very fresh. This is a family owned restaurant with a long history in Cannon Beach.

Visited September 2013
Boise, Idaho
“Save your money and stomach”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2013

This would be a great location for a restaurant. The building is interesting with some history, but the server was untrained and unkempt and the evening's special was deplorable. This place needs a cook who understands (and cares) about basic food preparation. If you can't make a meat loaf that holds together with a gravy made from scratch... Have to say the mashed potatoes wouldn't have been bad except they had some (maybe celery) bits incorporated, uncooked. The broccoli side was dry and flavorless. All in all, I found this meal to be a waste of money. A good cleaning crew might help, as well.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Denver, Colorado
“If only I'd checked TripAdvisor first!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2013

Got up early and drove to Cannon City from Portland on a dreary Monday morning. At first I thought the town had been evacuated - not a creature was stirring and it was rainy and foggy.

The first place I saw with an "Open" sign was Fireside Restaurant. It's just breakfast - everyone can make a good breakfast. Right?

Having eaten some unhealthy meals during this trip, I zeroed in on the spinach / onion / mushroom / sausage omelet. I make those at home and they're great! And it came with hashbrowns and a biscuit (to which I added country gravy - I don't cook those at home).

I'm sure glad I ordered the country gravy (paid extra, too) . . . it was the only thing with any flavor. Seriously. I took several sips of water between bites and kept trying the omelet. Bland. How do you make a bland omelet with spinach, onions and mushrooms? I mean, almost no flavor at all. Without the country gravy lighting up my taste buds I actually questioned whether I'd lost the ability to sense flavor.

Service was attentive (I was one of four tables).

Just . . . disappointing. And expensive for what you can get at Denny's for $6 (not that there's a Denny's in Cannon Beach).

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Victoria B.C.
“Good place for breakfast & dinner”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2013

We were walking by this restaurant yesterday morning and smell of bacon pulled us is. The building is a large log cabin style. It was quite early and there were only a couple other tables being served. We were offered up a full pot of coffee which was left on our table. The breakfast menu was a good size but we decided to have eggs, hash browns and bacon. The eggs and hash browns were the usual, but the bacon was amazing. It was thick cut and properly cooked. Worth going back tomorrow. The decor was nice but they have left out different garage sale finds like vases and glasses, all with big price tags. Seems very out of place. Still, we would go back. Breakfast for two was $22 plus tip.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere