“Disorganized, not a Good Choice for a Special Event” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #35 of 44 Restaurants in Cannon Beach
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Fiona314
“Disorganized, not a Good Choice for a Special Event”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2008

We got married in Cannon Beach this Spring and chose Morris' Fireside as the place to have our Friday night rehersal dinner because it adverstises a private dining room that can be booked for events. We called, emailed and visited to see the room in advance. We dealt with 'Jonathan' the apparent manager. Months in advance he confirmed that the room was available on the particular date and collected a cash deposit from us. We then communicated with him dozens of times about the time, menu etc. It was not until the day of the event, when we arrived early in the day to drop off the wine that he took my mother in law aside and mentioned that he had actually double-booked the room by mistake and that we would have to have our party in the main dining room. When confronted about this he apologized and reluctantly agreed to close the dining room to other diners so we could at least have privacy for our party, albeit in a smaller, awkwardly-shaped space. When we arrived it was clear that he had not closed the dining room, but instead put up a screen that created a visual barrier but did nothing to cut down the noise or traffic from other diners. On the night of the event Jonathan was nowhere to be found. His staff, the waiters, did an admirable job and the food was fine. The management of the place, however, was altogether unprofessional, by concealing their mistake until it was way too late to change the location of our event and generally being deceptive and sneaky. For these reasons Morris' will never get my business again and I strongly recommend they not be patronized.

tee2020
“food not very good, not great service”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2008

We came for breakfast there on our vacation in May. It's a cute place. The breakfasts were like $12 for pancakes, eggs, and bacon. We weren't on a budget or anything, we just like to get what we pay for... We figured we would just have lunch instead for that price, so I got the rueben and my husband got a burger. They were both terrible tasting and were way too high in price. My reuben was salty and had hardly any meat on it! The waitress grossed me out when she brought out our meals and the food was touching the front of her shirt. eeew.

Lacey, WA
“Undercooked Food and Still Trying to Charge for It--Beware!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2008

I was there with a group of 13 over the weekend and had advance reservations. I've eaten at some very good restaurants and very bad restaurants, but most of the time I am a satisfied customer. Morris' was the rare exception of a really bad experience.

Now trying to serve a table that size can be difficult, but service started out prompt and courteous. All was well through getting our drinks, soup, salad and bread.

But then...one of us had ordered the shrimp scampi, and when she tried it, the shrimp was not cooked through. The waiter took the plate and they gave her a new one, no problem. Again, however, the shrimp was cooked on the outside but raw on the inside. After getting undercooked seafood twice, my friend was really not going to be able to stomach yet another try at getting it right, and most of us were finishing our dinners by this time.

The waiter came back stating that since they had made two dinners for her, they were not going to comp her meal, and she could order something else instead. We asked for the manager at this point and the head chef came out and apologized with the explanation he had been away and wasn't supervising at the time. He stated again they could not comp the meal, and he would personally cook her anything on the menu and charge her for that instead. So my friend ordered the special, battered salmon fish and chips, much cheaper than her original meal. Really, she didn't want anything at this point but that didn't seem to be an option.

When her meal came for the 3rd time, it was the wrong meal! At this point my friend took her plate and went back into the kitchen, since the wait staff seemed to be deaf at our multiple calls for help at this point. I know not to kill the messenger, but apparently our message to the kitchen wasn't being heard.

With my friend in the kitchen complaining, she finally got the restaurant to comp the dinner. They did charge her for the ice tea and for a bowl of chowder (which would have been part of her dinner) We weren't there to be getting free meals, but when you get raw food twice...there ought to be some compensation without having to force the issue.

Other problems (which we didn't bring up because at this point...): 3 of us had the pasta carbonara, which was heavily overgarlicked and we couldn't eat more than a few bites without feeling sick. I love my garlic, but there is a limit. I was also suspicious that some of the fish in my meal was not cooked as it was red and rubbery, not nicely flaked and pink. One person who ordered prime rib did not think it was worth the price charged for it.

They stopped refilling our drinks and I was left with nothing to wash my unpalatable dinner down with. We had to yell and wave down somebody to give us a check, and many of our tabs were over or under what they should have been, even when we had the exact same thing!

We all paid our bills, including the mandatory 18% gratuity they put on before they brought our checks out. We will not be returning after this.

Just keep on walking past this place!

Bellevue
“Lousy Service”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2008

We have been to Morris' and after 4 attempts to give them the benefit of a doubt, we stopped trying. The service at the restaurant was the worst I have experienced in a long time. The food was just fine.

We haven't tried it for several years now and maybe we will give it a try again.

Missoula, MT
“Good food, decent atmosphere”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2008

We had breakfast here on a Saturday morning. The Chicken Fried Steak was good & my girlfriend enjoyed her Egg Caserole. Nice atmosphere in a huge wooden cabin type building. Not the cheapest breakfast in CB but I would say it was worth the price.