“Overall, pretty good.” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #14 of 14 Hotels in Cannon Beach
Portland, Oregon
“Overall, pretty good.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2013

We loved having a full kitchen in the room to make our own food, and it included oven, stove, microwave, full size fridge, dishwasher, pots, pans, and dishes we would need. The view in the oceanfront room was lovely. We saw a little wild bunny on the law one day. The pool is advertised as saltwater, but definitely had some chlorine in it, maybe in addition to saltwater. It is 3', 5' and 8' deep in sections. Hot tub and sauna are adult only and the pool is adult only after 9:30pm. I couldn't find any walkable breakfast options, so its a good thing there was a kitchen. Overall we had a good stay.

Room Tip: The oceanfront one bedrooms are a non-view room adjoined to an oceanfront studio, so there is a sepa...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
TolovanaGM, Front Office Manager at Tolovana Inn, responded to this review, June 26, 2013
Thank you for your review, I am happy that you had a nice stay. Yes, many of our units have kitchens which makes meal preparation nice and handy. However, there is a tasty breakfast option two blocks North of the hotel on Hemlock Street, the Amber Waves bakery offers delicious baked goods as well as some hot items such as quiches and the like. We receive very nice comments on their food. Also, we do have a very nice saltwater swimming pool as well as the adjacent hot tub which is on a more traditional chlorine-based filtration system. Both are excellent recreational options. Thank you again for staying with us, we hope to see you again soon!

Matt Foley

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (117)
Tacoma, Washington
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2013

I was so disappointed in this hotel, I was told that we would be getting 2 queen size beds, they were not queen size bed, the beds were old and very uncomfortable also bedding was worn. The unit had a kitchen all the appliances were old and needs updating. Parking was very limited. Last but not least the service was terrible. Needless to say my family and I will not be staying here again.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
TolovanaGM, General Manager at Tolovana Inn, responded to this review, July 3, 2013
I am sorry you were disappointed with your stay, I regret I did not here from you directly while you were here, but we would still like the opportunity to address your issues and make things right. Please contact me directly either by e-mail to: Matt@TolovanaInn.com or by phoning me at 503-436-2211. I certainly would like to address any service issue you encountered, but did not know to what hotel area you were referrring. I also am unclear if you are saying you did not get the correct room type or the beds were smaller than the Queen-sized mattresses that the were descibed when you reserved your room? Also, I regret that the appliances were older, we are approx. 75% of the way through a multi-year renovation and the styles are updated as we go through each unit. I am sorry you encountered parking challenges, however sometime late arriving guests on weekends are displaced by visitors to the adjacent state park who sneak into our lots when the park is full. As I said before, I would really like you to please contact me directly so I can address your concerns and get the specific information that would allow me to do so. Thank you for taking the time to share your comments.

Calgary, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2013

The good: The room was comfortable. It was nice to have a full kitchen. The view, if you stood in the corner of the room or on the balcony, was fantastic. Someone delivered a box fan to our room because it was hot. The kitchen was well-outfitted.The room and property were clean and well-maintained. The nightly rate was reasonable for an oceanview room (though that is debatable).

The bad: The freezer reeked of alcohol and had a large, pink stain. The clean dishes were in the dishwasher and not put away. The murphy bed was soft. The room was not as updated as portrayed on the website. The The view was really of Mac's Bar and little else, unless we went onto the balcony or stood in the corner of our room. The noise was atrocious: because it was hot, we slept with the balcony sliding door open; the trucks beeping and squeaking in and out of the restaurant until 11 pm and starting again at 8 am made for very little time to listen to the waves; there is a parking lot between the building and the restaurant, as well, so this added a little bit of noise. Finally, when getting ready to leave just before 11 am, the water wouldn't turn on. I needed to shower and wash dishes. When I called the front desk, the staff who answered said that someone was working on a maintenance issue and that I should have been called. When I said that I had not been called, he told me it was probably a message; after checking, I let him know that the message light was not on. He said that I should have been called, but that his co-worker would have been the one supposed to call, as he was only responsible for the top floor. He told me that I could just leave the dishwasher loaded and housekeeping would take care of it. I was disappointed by the lack of concern and by the "pass the buck" attitude, rather than an apology and him asking what he could due to correct the issue.

Room Tip: Do not choose 211 if you'd like a good view and to be able to listen to the waves.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
TolovanaGM, General Manager at Tolovana Inn, responded to this review, June 26, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review our property. I am sorry that a minor repair forced a brief interuption in the hot water supply and we did not do a more effective job in communicating that to you in advance. I regret the neighboring restaurant delivery trucks disturbed your peace and quiet time, we have asked them to avoid late night or early morning deliveries and most of their vendors have complied, but every now and then a lone vendor veers from that and for that I want to extend my most sincere apologies. We do have nine different room and suite types scattered about the resort so are confident that we can meet your specific needs on your next visit to the Tolovana Inn. Thank you again for staying with us and sharing your comments so we may use them as a tool to improve our operations.

Eugene, Oregon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2013

My wife and I are currently staying at Tolovana Inn. We have an ocean front 3td floor 1BR unit with a fabulous view of the beach and Pacific. We have stayed at many hotels at Cannon Beach but this is our favorite because of location, easy beach access, service, affordability, friendly staff and availability of suite-like rooms. Also, important to us, some rooms are pet-friendly.

Room Tip: Buildings 3 & 4 are beach front. Floors 2 & 3 have best views. Corner unit are larger and gr...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
TolovanaGM, General Manager at Tolovana Inn, responded to this review, June 24, 2013
Thank you for your review of the Tolovana Inn. Our Oceanfront suites are indeed a great value and are complete with all the amenities one would need for a great and relaxing stay. We have both pet-freindly and non-pet units available, both have excellent views and have convenient access to the beach. Thank you and we look forward to your return visit!

Albany, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2013

Location was great. We had a corner suite on the third floor overlooking the beach with a great view of haystack rock.The suite with a fireplace was very spacious and comfortable not luxury but a great place for a family vacation

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for your review of the Tolovana Inn. We know we are the best combination of price and value in the Cannon Beach area and appreciate that you recognized that fact as well. We think all of our rooms and suites are special, but you are right that the oceanfront units are truly wonderful. Thanks again for taking the time to share your experience.

Boise, Idaho
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013

We were so excited to get to Cannon Beach and were thrilled to find a hotel within walking distance of the ocean. Unfortunately, the Tolovana Inn was nothing but a disappointment. Our room looked *nothing* like any of the photos on the website. In fact, the room was so different I'd venture to say the website is false advertising. Our room was dingy, musty smelling, and the previous guest's chewing tobacco spit cup was still sitting on the back of the toilet when we got there...disgusting. The room was one long rectangle which looked out on Mo's restaurant and the hotel parking lot, and slightly to the right you could see the ocean and Haystack Rock - which was the only redeeming quality of the room. The room looked like it hadn't been updated since the 70's. All the kitchen appliances were old and the fridge buzzed all night. Not hummed, but buzzed...and the bed was only about 20 feet from it so we had to listen to it all night. The bathroom was very small and looked like it belonged in your grandma's house, not a hotel. Also, the walls were paper thin so we could hear everything coming from the adjacent rooms, including crying kids, loud families, etc. We often travel with our 2 children so I could have dealt with that if that were the only issue with this hotel. We were so disappointed with the room we debated leaving and finding somewhere else to stay, but we just couldn't justify that after spending so much on the room. Also, we knew there were no other rooms available at the hotel so it was fruitless to complain to hotel staff. I was so surprised at the quality of the room I had to double-check the website, and sure enough, the photos posted there are not at all representative of the room we stayed in. I saw from some of the comments on TripAdvisor.com that the hotel is currently in the middle of a renovation, perhaps we stayed in the area that still needs to be renovated, but that should have been communicated to us when we checked in. All-in-all it was a disappointing stay, and not a cheap one. If you're planning to stay at the Tolovana Inn, I would recommend asking for an already renovated room and perhaps even viewing the room before you commit to staying. Hate to leave negative reviews but had to in this circumstance.

Room Tip: Be sure to ask for a renovated room and see if you can view it prior to staying.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
TolovanaGM, General Manager at Tolovana Inn, responded to this review, June 18, 2013
I am sorry your room was not up to your expectations and that you were disturbed by other guests and had other issues interfere with your enjoyment of your stay. Please contact me directly via e-mail to Matt@TolovanaInn.com so I may do my best to make things right, as we value our guest's feedback and act aggressively when someone's stay does not meet expectations. I look forward to your return response and thank you for bringing your experience to my attention.

Victoria, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013

this place is really in a great spot. We really likes out room, i guess people own the unit and then rent them out. it was romantic with the fire place etc. We were on the second floor of a partial ocean view room really mostly we could see the parking lot to the beach but you just had to look up a bit more and the cannon beach rocks were in full view. the sound of the ocean was great and the poeple working were all very friendly and helpful!
cannon beach is such a gem loved everything about the whole town ... some of the coast is looking a bit run down we went from astoria to pacific city and cannon beach was the best stop the town really has something for all!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your review of the Tolovana Inn. Cannon Beach is indeed a special place and we are happy you had such a good time and cannot wait until your next visit. Thank you again!

Matthew P. Foley

Been to Tolovana Inn? Share your experiences!