“Dirty Room, Spend more elsewhere.” 2 of 5 stars

Tolovana Inn
3400 South Hemlock St., Tolovana Park, Cannon Beach, OR 97145   |
Ranked #13 of 13 hotels in Cannon Beach
San Diego, California
“Dirty Room, Spend more elsewhere.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2012

The location is great and there is a view of the rock, and there was a fireplace. Those are the only three good things about this inn. We chose Tolovana based on the pretty good tripadvisor reviews. We were on a budget but also on our honeymoon, so we wanted a decent place that wouldn't break the bank.

The balcony was TINY and the room was hot but if you open the sliding glass door, the room fills with smoke from the beach fires. The rest of the space was ok, but seems like a lot to spend for an outdated studio-type room where the bed is in the middle of the room.

The main reason we are giving Tolovana a poor rating is that we found BLOOD on 4 surfaces. A streak on the wall, a streak on the door, on the doorjamb and then a smear on the shower curtain. DISGUSTING. Clearly, they don't clean the rooms well. I called the front desk and they were apologetic, and sent a maid up within 15 minutes. However, all she did was a quick spot clean on the parts she could see and switch out the shower curtain. I wanted either a new room at that point, or a major, every surface scrub-down. For the rest of our time there, I was laying out paper towels to make food and treading lightly on surfaces. I'm not even much of a germ-o-phobe or a clean freak. But finding blood all over your condo and having them barely clean it, that is just nasty. They never even offered a discount or checked in to make sure it was cleaned. On your honeymoon, the last thing you want to think about is who was there before and why they were bleeding.

We would never, ever stay here again, and wouldn't recommend it. Spend the extra $ and get a cute little cabin or something.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
TolovanaGM, General Manager at Tolovana Inn, responded to this review, December 31, 2012
Jennifer, I wish to apologize for the cleanliness issue and want to assure you that complaints of that nature are truly a rare occurance. We pride ourselves in the condition of all of our rooms and suites, both in terms of cleanliness and maintenance. I tried to investigate the particulars of your stay, but noted that your stay was in September but your posting was made during the last week of December. Memories tend to fade after several months, but we are always vigilant about following up on our guest's concerns.

I came aboard as the new General Manager at the Tolovana Inn during the month of December and would appreciate more details as well as the opportunity to make things right. I would ask that you please contact me directly at Matt@TolovanaInn.com so I may personally address the matter. Thank you for staying with us and sharing your comments so that we may continually improve our operations.

Matthew P. Foley

355 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (109)
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 25, 2012

First of all I want to start out by saying that my wife and I have stayed here 4 times within the past 6 months. The location is amazing, the staff are usually friendly (the occasional bad day staff member, who doesn't have that?) and the rooms are kept tidy. Overall it's a good experience. What makes it questionable to return to is the value, and the level of honesty in which the value is portrayed. We just finished a stay during the Christmas weekend, stayed 2
nights. $200 a night. I was informed on the phone that it was their holiday rate,
and that they get packed. Comparatively, from our previous 3 stays, it was a ghost town, we were astonished. They should be slashing rates to be competetive. We should've had that room for MAYBE $130. We paid less during the busy season for the same room. I asked about it, and was informed that my rate could be bumped up $15 each night, then i could get the 3rd night free. We had to be somewhere on Christmas, so 2 nights was max. I did the math, it came out to $133 per night, so just give me the darn room for $133 per night! I originally booked for 1 night and requested a second night after staying a while. Here we are, return customers, its the slow season, increased prices. This seems like a shrewd pricing practice. Nonetheless, if you are traveling to Cannon Beach you will get AMAZING views, and a decent room with ample space and trimmings. I think next time we might try staying in Seaside for $69 per night in a chain hotel, brand new suite, and drive 7-8 minutes to cannon beach and save the Tolovana Inn or other places in the Tolovana Park area for a once per year destination spot.

P.S. I am astonished at the replies on here from the general manager towards other members, accusing people of looking for a deal, lying, mis-truths, not remembering correctly. The arrogance and dismissiveness. Truly not a good practice. Defending your business is one thing, Invalidating every single persons negative experience, unacceptable. This website is to keep consumers informed, not for managers to breeze through to get smoke blown at them with 5 star reviews. I love your facility, but take the advice, paper thin walls from 50 different people.... so blow some insulation in the walls. Don't minimize people's opinion for sharing their experience.

• Stayed December 2012
TolovanaGM, General Manager at Tolovana Inn, responded to this review, December 26, 2012
Thank you for repeated visits to the Tolovana Inn and for your comments regarding your recent stay. I am new to the Tolovana Inn, having taken over as General Manager a few short weeks ago in early December. I certainly value all of our guest comments and share them with our staff as a learning tool. We are always pleased to hear great comments but when we fall short we are determined to use that feedback to do better the next time.

I do know that our rates are vary by season and usually the winter season features our best specials of the year. The discounts do tend to be better when set up in advance rather reserving a room for one night than extending one's stay. However, we certainly want to recognize our guests that stay with us the most frequently. Please e-mail me at Matt@TolovanaInn.com so that I may contact you directly and see that you are given the best deal possible on this and any future stay.

Thank you again for your review and we look forward to seeing you again at the Tolovana Inn!

Matthew P. Foley
Eugene, Oregon
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2012

There are a lot of hotel's and Inn's on the Oregon coast that give a good ocean view, but really few that have the sand and surf reaching the base of the building. The Tolovana Inn has that quality. When the tide came in, we could stand on our balcony and watch the waves just below us. A Tsunami would mess up the first floor something awful I think. They've been there long enough though that I think it's unlikely to happen any time soon. The room was very nice, even with a Murphy bed because the room was so spacious. The gas fireplace provided a great ambiance to the sound of the pounding surf. Great place to stay!

Room Tip: Choose Ocean Front.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Portland, Oregon
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2012 via mobile

Portland, Oregon
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2012 via mobile

Staff was friendly, very professional. Updated pictures on website, quick look for pricing. Late check in time though, was disappointed with that. We got a one bedroom ocean front suite, pretty happy with it, nice balcony, furniture, bedroom but the bathroom was very small. And ugly lighting though, especially for It being the top floor, thought we would have skylights since they want to be considered Eco friendly. Cute decorations and nice they have cute cannon beach magazines. Loved the salt pool, hot tub and sauna. The pool goes down to 8 feet deep, which was awesome. But thought the pool would be a tad bit warmer. but I am happy overall an plan to return in the future.

3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2012 via mobile

My boyfriend and I stayed here for our anniversary. We had originally planned on going to seaside but weather conditions had other plans for us. This place was wonderful actually. The bed was very comfortable. We had a lot of fun in the pool and hot tub. The game room was a really nice touch. I would reccomend this facility to anyone. We hope to be back soon!

• Stayed November 2012
portland,oregon
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

first off the only good thing i have to say is beautiful ocean front view,, my wife, 6yr old son and i stayed at one of the oceanfront properties.paper thin walls, heat remains on when shut off..could hear others talking constantly!! best part of all i was told when we first checked in stay 2 nights and the 3rd free.. when we asked about it the lady who checked us in told us oh no its 3 nights then the 4th free.. well tonight my wife looked online and found the special 2 nights get the 3rd free avaliable until feb. of next year!! i have looked at my credit card statements and see that my card has been over charged considerably by the tolovana inn!! i will be contacting my lawyer first thing in the morning!!!!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
TolovanaGM, General Manager at Tolovana Inn, responded to this review, November 28, 2012
Unfortunately this guest has misrepresented the events of his stay. The guest checked in November 13th for three nights. He originally was receiving our “3 for 2” offer. His signed folio clearly shows he was to pay the first two nights and receive the 3rd night free. He continued to extend his stay with us an additional 4 nights staying a total of 7 nights. For his seven nights, he was charged only 4 nights (a better offer than the “3 for 2”). He called the Front Desk around mid-night on his 7th night claiming the heater wouldn’t shut-off (we found the heater worked fine). Upon check-out he refused to pay the balance of his stay and requested a supervisor call him. Our Front Desk Manager and myself have tried contacting him several times and he will not return our calls. He only paid for 2 of his seven nights and his credit card declines the balance. Ironic that he accuses the Hotel of theft.

Jim McDonald
Prices are for rooms, adults

Been to Tolovana Inn? Share your experiences!