“Exceptional!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #3 of 40 restaurants in Cannon Beach
Cuisines: Caribbean
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Description: Great new local place! Just opened this summer. Original Carribean dishes and cocktails with high quality ingredients and amazing sauces. Affordable too!
Bellevue, WA
“Exceptional!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2013

This place blows me away! On the surface this little restaurant doesn't even seem like it belongs in a coastal town like Cannon Beach, which for the most part offers seafood and typical American cuisine. However, because it offers a different kind of menu with exceptionally prepared food it is arguably one of the best restaurants in this small town.

I've only eaten diner here twice, but each time I have been completely impressed with the quality and flavors of the food and the service has also been very good. This restaurant isn't much to look at on the outside and the inside is kind of funky in a good way. However, once you start eating you are just saying "Yum" and forget about the decor. The drinks are also really good and the wine list is quite satisfactory.

This evening I started with their Ahi tuna appetizer, which was perfectly prepared and even included flying fish roe and great wasabi on the side that was not the typical stuff you find in most restaurants that are not Japanese. My wife had a mixed green salad with goat cheese and a balsamic dressing that she said was delicious. She also had the pork chop offering that was excellent - very tender and not dry at all. I had the jerk chicken and it was very authentic with respect to my experience traveling in the Caribbean. The flavors of both meals were absolutely wonderful and I can't wait to dine at this place again. But don't believe me, go try it yourself and then I think you'll agree.

• Visited March 2013

95% Recommend
“Every bite is an adventure in taste”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013 via mobile

Our first visit one year ago left us longing to come back. We weren't sure if it would live up to the memory. But we were anxious to try. It absolutely did. The flavors are vivid and bold. The appetizers and main dishes were great. Service was prompt, appropriately attentive, and cheerful.

Manzanita, Oregon
“Not that exciting!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2013

We came here for dinner, and based on the reviews we read, it isn't all that. It's a small establishment, the atmosphere was nice, and the decor was cute, but you are pretty close to your neighbors. The service was pretty good as well. The food is pretty pricey for what you get. The amount isn't much and the presentation is pretty simple. It's good food but not amazing. The drinks we didn't try, which we read are good,but we thought they were pricey. We will maybe be back, but most likely not. It depends on what we want.

• Visited April 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Lakewood, Colorado
“Worth the wait”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2013

This is a cute little restaurant, and it fills up fast. So get there early if you don't want to wait for a table.

I'm a picky eater; and this place was a savior. We liked it so much that we ate dinner here every night, 3 nights in a row, and we were never disappointed.

My wife is a semi-vegetarian, and the staff made delicious and creative changes to their menu to accommodate her. I wish they had fish on their menu, but I was always happy and satisfied with their jerk chicken.

I'd definitely go back for more.

Please let me know if this review was helpful.

Visited March 2013
Tacoma, Washington
“No better place ... REALLY!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2013

We are a long time Cannon Beach visitors (since the 1970's) and have been stuck in our ways for years (according to our kids). It's always Morris Fireside, Bills, Lazy Susan, Pig n Pancake, Lumberyard, etc.... Too often, we'd simply buy groceries in Seaside and cook our own dinners. Our first meal at Castaways Tiki Hut was last summer when we decided to try something new. Neither of us were "Caribbean" food fans, but decided to try it anyway.

All I could say was OMG!!!!! This place is amazing. The food is fresh. The dishes are delicious. The drinks are imaginative (and carry a decent "punch"). The menu is varied and has something for every taste. We could have just dined on the appetizers alone. And the dipping sauces??? WOW!

I am almost hesitant to rave about this place out of concern it will become TOO popular. But it's now our FAVORITE Cannon Beach restaurant. We went back in early February for a long weekend and this was the first place we ate. Again, we were not disappointed. The meal was absolute perfection. We came back the following night and dined entirely on coconut prawns and chicken skewer appetizers while sipping tropical drinks.

Interesting contrast was the Mexican restaurant next door that sat virtually empty both nights while Castaways was standing room only.

• Visited February 2013