“Not bad for the price” 3 of 5 stars

3.0 of 5 Cottage   |   888 S Hemlock St., Cannon Beach, OR 97110   |
Atlanta, Georgia
“Not bad for the price”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2008

As advertised on the website, this is a little, old, motel that has been redone. It was a good price for the area and close to the beach. The room was clean and had a little fridge and microwave. There was a small grassy area in front with chairs and a fire pit for all the guests to use. The bedspread was torn but otherwise everything was in ok shape but very basic

• Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
East Coast
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2008

We had a recent stay on Cottage #29 for two nights and were entirely pleased with this accomodation in Cannon Beach. This was a roadtrip throughout Oregon for us and Cannon Beach/McBee was our first of ten accomodations for the trip. We expected a beach cottage in a coastal city and that's what we got. Coming from an Atlantic state we felt right at home with the white wicker furniture, coastal theme white barnboard walls, and shells for soap dishes - just as it should be.

Just as it should be that some of the cushions on the wicker chair and sofa maybe saw better days - but it's a beach cottage. It's clean, spacious, great kitchen area with everything you'd need to cook/eat/clean etc. Full size fridge, microwave/oven the works. Just do your own dishes they say....no prob. Bath was clean, roomy enough (we only had a shower in our unit which was fine for us). Table for four - plenty of room for two - with the queen size bed in it's own alcove. Windows new and wide open for great breezes...and the best part - beach access was right down the side street this property sits on, and Haystack Rock looms right there. Parking was on location, beautiful flower gardens and sitting area on small lawn that borders the street. Gas grills were available for use also.

Staff at Cannon Beach Hotel (a block 1/2 away- where you check in/out etc.) were very nice, when we needed extra towels, we let them know and they were delivered in less than 10 minutes. Other than that, we were on our own since you had your own "house"; one that comes with maid service which is nice! They do give you the option to not have them clean and just leave you fresh towels on the door during your stay - also.

Location is certainly walkable into town and even closer are several restaurants/coffee cafe's etc. Lot's of choices for eats through out this main drag.

We enjoyed our stay both in this town (as a jumping point to travel north during one day also) and this accomodation. Can't beat good amenities, good location and cleanliness. My only advice is that if you don't like the laid back flip-flops coast life and want to be pampered in 800 count sheets, china or plush carpet on your feet - you won't find that here or in Cannon Beach for that matter. This is all about outdoors, fresh seafood and a fridge to stock brews and a good bottle of wine.

• Liked — Cleanliness and amenities in unit
  • Disliked — Time to restock the chair cushions
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
Monterey Park
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2008

You've got to be kidding! We had a wonderful time in that "un-renovated" room! It was huge, and I could turn the kids and dog loose and they couldn't hurt a thing, and didn't even walk over each other. Sure, it's a little retro but the staff forewarned me, and I thought it was hysterical! Kinda like living the 70's all over again, and the short walk to the beach makes it all worthwhile! It was everything you'd expect from a simple, cozy beach property with great ladies behind the counter who told me the best places to shop. The kitchen had everything I needed to feed a family of 4, good condition and clean. Truthfully, I was glad it didn't have a phone.....that's why I came to the beach.......clean, cozy and FUN! Go for a walk! Take life easy!!

• Liked — It's proximity to great beach access (half a block!)
  • Disliked — That they didn't have one more night available :(
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Portland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2008

I really wanted to love this place. It has all the potential to be great, unfortunately it didn't live up. I am not one to write reviews, in fact this is the first for me. I feel that this one deserved addressing. Upon check in, I was greeted by a rude man behind the counter who was too busy to return a smile or even make eye contact, but told me to leave and come back in 30 minutes at check in time. OK, fair enough. When we finally did get our room key (they still couldn't get to us until after check-in time even though there was no one else in the lobby or on the phone) We opened our door and couldn't decide if it smelled more like dog or bacon? ! Granted the room has a kitchen, and is pet friendly, but wow. I work at an animal clinic that doesn't smell that doggy. We were also traveling with a 3 year old and a 7 month old. Let me say, the rug was so stained and filthy my son didn't get to crawl the whole time, I felt bad for my dog who kept smelling one particular stain and moving away to lay down elsewhere. This was particularly bad because it was an area rug, not even permanent carpet, it should hit the dumpster. Although touted as family and pet friendly it was not child safe, dangling wires everywhere. I had planned to make dinner, but the pots and pans were inadequate, when I tried to phone in a pizza, I realized the phone didn't work. The wire was pulled out of the wall and in pieces. My husband used his cell to call the desk to inform them of the damage, mostly so we wouldn't get billed for the repair. He was told "Oh, we've opted not to have that repaired, you're welcome to try and fix it or come use the phone down here." Really. In a room that goes for almost $200.00 a night. Also, there was a lamp that was unusable because of a shotty repair with electrical tape. Carpenter ants in the kitchen. A flea on the couch. Let's give it some credit, nice garden outside, windows are sunny and open (thank God) to let in fresh air, cleaning staff did a great job with what they had to work with, girl who made my reservation was nice enough. This was one of the "not yet renovated rooms" I hope the other rooms are in better shape. But, more so I hope they treat their guests better. I felt over all unwelcome and screwed over. I won't be staying at their properties again. Not because of the disrepair, it was the crappy attitude. Too bad, I really wanted to love it.

• Liked — location, potential
  • Disliked — attitude of desk clerks, management does not "opt" to do basic repairs
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Austin, TX
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2008

It's been a few months since we stayed at the cottage, and I am seriously missing it! Cannon Beach itself was awesome, and the Cottages, belonging to Cannon Beach Properties, was really the icing on the cake. Well-designed, clean as a whistle, extremely friendly staff, and just an all-around amazing 'feeling' make this place a genuine steal of a deal... Stay away from 'regular' hotels, and go here! You get everything you could ask for. You can cook real meals in a real kitchen, stay on very comfortable beds, and be treated so well. The city, and Cottage are very VERY missed by us!

• Liked — The people!
  • Disliked — .....nothing comes to mind!
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
P-Town
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2008

My husband and I got a gift certificate to the hotel as a wedding gift and we ended up using it for a "second honeymoon" of sorts a year later.

After going to the website, we decided to stay in one of the cottages because I wanted a fireplace and he wanted to be able to cook our own meals.

When we got there, we were a little worried because the "curb appeal" of the cottages left some to be desired but inside made up for it all. We stayed in #29 and it was so adorable! I loved the fireplace and the little kitchen. It came with all the dishes you would need to cook a meal, there's a hide-a-bed sofa if you have kids and there's cable tv (we don't have cable at home so it was quite a treat.)

It's walking distance to the beach (about two blocks) and it's really close to town. I would totally go back and recomend to all my friends!

Stayed December 2007
Vancouver, BC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2007

We stayed at McBee Cottage for one night on June 9 in room35 (lucky we got the room for the one night gap since they usually have a policy to stay 2 nights minimum). When we made the reservation we were a bit skeptical since it is one of the smallest room in the lodge. When we got there, we were pleasantly surprised at this newly remodelled room. The room is superbly clean and neatly decorated. Although it's small but we don't feel it's really "that" small. Cannon beach area's accommodations are famous of being expensive and McBee Cottage provides a good accommodation with very affordable rate. Plus it's extremely close to the Haystack Rocks and within blocks of Cannon Beach downtown! We will definitely come again to try other lodges by Cannon Beach Hotel Lodgings.

• Liked — Great value and close to all the popular spots at Cannon beach
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to McBee Cottages? Share your experiences!