“Perfectly adequate and a good value” 4 of 5 stars

Wild Rivers Motor Lodge
1.5 of 5 Motel   |   437 Chetco Avenue, Brookings, OR 97415   |
Ranked #4 of 8 Hotels in Brookings
Oregon
“Perfectly adequate and a good value”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2013

Friendly, helpful staff, clean and large rooms, comfortable beds, and a very good price. Some street noise that was prettty much gone by 9:00 pm. Frig and microwave. Frig was a little noisy. Handy location - one block to an excellent Dairy Queen and two blocks to the Art Gallery, best restaurant in Brookings. Have stayed before and will likely stay again.

Room Tip: try to get a room back from the highway.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
14nerhiker, Owner at Wild Rivers Motor Lodge, responded to this review, August 8, 2013
Thank you for reviewing our hotel, The Wild Rivers Motorlodge. My wife and I are hands-on owners so we take pride in our cleanliness, friendliness and value. We strive to satisfy every guest every time and in reading your review, it seems as if we have done this. We personally check out the restaurants we recommend in our directory and in person with anyone whom asks. We are especially glad that you found the Art Gallery restaurant not only satisfactory but “best”. We certainly will look forward to seeing you again next time you’re in the area.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Etna, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

Great all around stay! We called the afternoon of our stay and they were more then happy to accommodate us. They even upgraded us for free to accommodate our dog. We had a beautifully kept 2 room suite, with 2 tv's. huge room. The room was very quiet and no road noise. Bed was very comfortable. Had fridge and micro. VERY PET FRIENDLY!! Grassy outdoor area for your dog and even supply the waste bags. Extremely friendly front desk very willing to accommodate. Great prices! We'll be back!!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for your review. We loved the way you wrote VERY PET FRIENDLY in all caps. We understand that lots of folks today travel with their pets who are a part of their family and so we try to make sure our warm welcome applies to our four legged guests as well. As owners, we take pride in our hotel and our pet accommodations. We are extremely happy that you found your stay so pleasant. We certainly will look forward to seeing you again if in the area. Thank you once again, it truly means something to us when our staff is also mentioned, they work as hard as we do to satisfy every guest every time.
Sacramento, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2013

We had a Premium King room for us and our two dogs. The room smelled fresh, everything was exceptionally clean and the staff and owners could not have been nicer people to deal with while traveling.
We scheduled our stay for July 3rd, just passing through on our way back home in CA. The hotel was booked full and had been for weeks. As busy as they were, the people running Wild Rivers were friendly, polite and professional.
I have a problem with hotels that offer non-smoking rooms, but allow smoking just outside. This seemed to be a regular occurance throughout Oregon. There is no way to avoid second-hand smoke from someone who is constantly smoking just outside your door. I think if a property wants to offer smoking and non smoking, they should put all the non-smoking on one side of the property and forbid smoking in that area in general. There was a family with 3 adults and 5 kids in the room next door and there was always someone smoking just outside - ick. What's even more strange, the management allowed these people to erect and cook on a charcoal barbecue next to their car, which was parked next to ours. I grew up traveling on a budget, but that situation made me a little concerned about safety, not to mention all the noise that accompanied dinner preparation in our parking area. That's a first time experience for me, and I was a motel maid back in my college years! I thought I had seen it all...
All that said, I would stay at this property again. Wifi worked fine, TV selection was acceptable, cleanliness was first rate and the people that manage the place are everything you could ask for. I saw the funny little signs about toiletries (we pack our own) but every penny counts in this economy.

Room Tip: Ask to be located away from the street.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your review of our hotel. As owners, it is important to treat every guest with as much respect and dignity and personal attention as possible regardless of how busy we may be from day to day. Apparently we accomplished this with your stay and we appreciate your comments. It is unfortunate that the guest next to you was not as considerate of your personal preferences as they should have been and for that we apologize. We do try to allow for “traveling on a budget” and therefore can allow barbeque in the parking lot provided it is away from the building and other guests. Again it appears that this was not the case and again we’re sorry that you were not completely satisfied with that experience. Also I’m sorry that some guests do not adhere to the second hand smoke laws in the State of Oregon and your comments will be addressed with guidelines as to smoking areas vs. no smoking areas. Thank you again, we certainly hope to see you again if in the Brookings-Harbor area.
Redding, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2013

Nice family owned motor lodge in Brookings. I travel extensively for work and stay in Hilton properties so I understand quality lodging. Wild Rivers isn't fancy, but it's clean, quiet, nicely appointed, and has a friendly family owned feel. The location is close to town center, within walking distance of some good restaurants like the Vista Pub. Owner opened up the office early for me to get a cup of coffee that he was fresh brewing...a nice touch.

Brookings is a nice town with a lot of potential and I would not hesitate to stay at Wild Rivers again. I've stayed down at the Beachfront Lodge on the harbor and it really isn't worth the ridiculous prices they charge for an isolated spot that isn't close to any decent eating establishment. Wild Rivers is a much better choice and it will be my staying spot when I visit Brookings again.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your review of our hotel. We apologize for not getting back to responding to your review in a timely manner. My wife and I both worked for Red Lion Hotels, Hilton Hotels & Doubletree prior to our move to Brookings and purchase of the Wild Rivers Motorlodge. Some of the things we learned from them have gone into our hotel. It is nice that you noticed and again, thank you. We certainly will look forward to seeing you again if in the area.
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2013

I'm reading some of these reviews and wondering if we are talking about the same place. I have stayed here several times, as has my sister. We both have always found nice clean rooms, nice furnishings, comfortable beds, and a bathtub. It is no frills but clean, updated, convenient and Internet always worked for me. The staff was always kind and the prices very reasonable. I have stayed at the Best Western before, and yes, although nicer, it wasn't worth the high or low season rates. Wild Rivers is a fair price for a clean, comfy room. When I visit Brookings, this is the only place I stay.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
14nerhiker, Owner at Wild Rivers Motor Lodge, responded to this review, March 22, 2013
Thank you for your review from your stay in November at our hotel. We strive to accomplish what you mentioned in your review; nice clean rooms, nice furnishings, comfortable beds, updated, convenient and always friendly kind staff. We have made every effort to keep our rates as reasonable as possible as well as comparable to the area, particularly when you consider like accommodations. Thank you once again, we look forward to seeing you again soon.
Roseburg, Oregon, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013

I had a meeting in Brookings and looked up the write ups on this site and it sounded o.k. The basics are all I need. However, they tucked us away in a corner unit and I could not connect to their wifi. When I looked at the hotel size shampoo, soap, etc. I spied a small sign by the product that said for 50 cents I could purchase additional amenities. There was a similar sign in or around the bath tub also.

There was another sign warning you against smoking in a nonsmoking room and if you did sin, your card would be charged $200 to destink the room. While I agree with no smoking - there had to be a kinder way to express it.

There were additional signs on the office door, outside, etc. It is one thing to have rules but it is another thing to handle the posting of said rules in such a fashion.

The room was clean, neat, etc. and if was not such a contrary old guy, the signage might not have been as offensive to me.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for your review from your stay in February at our hotel. We strive to meet or exceed our guest’s expectations with every stay. Unfortunately your experience was less than stellar and for that we apologize. If the unit you were in was one of our premium King rooms, I can assume that you might have been in room 124. In addition to wireless internet, in those rooms we also have an Ethernet connection and can provide cables for access if the wireless connection has problems. Based on the location of our antennae that particular room (and a couple of others), do sometimes have problems and for that we truly apologize. You mentioned our “extra amenities” sign and we wish to explain further about that. We supply Bath & Body works soaps, shampoos and lotions and have had on many occasions positive comments on them to the extent that guests have requested extras to take with them. We simply felt that we could let people know that they could in fact purchase some to take with them at roughly our cost. Unfortunately some guests do take offense in this, and again we apologize. Also unfortunately some guests need to be reminded that smoking in a non smoking room can be disruptive, costly and a health hazard to those who do not smoke, therefore we have placed those signs in our non smoking rooms as well. We agree that there should be a nicer way to put it unfortunately it can and does occur regardless of wording, therefore to send a stronger message (and most hotels do) tends to at least lessen the instances. We apologize that you took offense in the reminder signs and certainly your suggestions can help us improve the way we do things. We sincerely appreciate your comments and hope that you may try us again in the future if in the area.
Seattle, Washington
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2013

When I pulled into the driveway, the first thing I noticed (aside from the huge canoes) was a carved wooden "NO PETS ALLOWED" sign. (see pic below) Having booked a pet friendly room, I proceeded, assuming that it was the front planter only. It wasn't.
After what was at best an awkward check-in, with a teenager who wrote most of my information (including my credit card info) on notepaper, instead of a computer, and who couldn't produce the itemized receipt that I requested, my dog and I checked into our room. The room itself was fine, save for the fact that every single surface had a printed card on it, explaining the additional charges I'd incur if I so much as breathed too much during my stay. I read them all, hoping to find where the "pet area" was because A. I wasn't told at check in, and B. found the same "NO PETS ALLOWED" sign in every planter on the property. So I walked to the front desk, and was told that it was past the far no pets sign, down a muddy overgrown trail, that led to an even more overgrown, dark patch of weed grass, behind the hotel, practically on the adjoining gas station property. I'm a young woman, who was traveling alone with my small dog. I know it's Brookings, which is a safe place in general...but there is nothing OK about expecting your patrons to stand next to an overflowing poop canister in the rain being oggled by a gas attendant. I won't ever stay there again.
Additional info: I never did get that receipt...even though I made 2 additional requests with other people, and they only have 1 DVD player on the property, which they'll rent out to you for $5 a night. Classy!

Room Tip: Room cleanliness was fine. Pet area was FILTHY and unsafe. All rooms have road noise.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Thank you for your review from your stay in November at our hotel. We are sorry that your stay was less than enjoyable and that you felt our reminder signs in our rooms was excessive. Our landscaping islands throughout the parking lot are difficult to maintain in the best of circumstances, and unfortunately we attempt to keep pets out of these areas in lieu of our pet area simply in order to avoid having to replace plants, flowers, etc. constantly. We apologize that you found our pet area unappealing and even possibly unsafe. In the months of November through March it is extremely difficult to maintain a grassy location anywhere on the coast of Oregon and we are certain that this area was exactly as you described during your stay, unfortunately it is the only location we have for pets and we attempt (to the best of our ability) to keep it clean and presentable at least when the weather allows. We are sorry that you were not informed of the location of the pet area at check-in and we certainly can and will improve in this area. Based on your comments, we are training all of our agents on the procedure to post payments and charges directly and immediately into our accounting system so as to produce an itemized receipt upon request for all guests. Thank you for pointing out this deficiency in our procedures. We do appreciate comments such as yours in order for us to continue to improve on all aspects of our operation. Thank you for your review.

Been to Wild Rivers Motor Lodge? Share your experiences!