“Very nice...” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #4 of 8 hotels in Brookings
Redding, CA
“Very nice...”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2013

Nice family owned motor lodge in Brookings. I travel extensively for work and stay in Hilton properties so I understand quality lodging. Wild Rivers isn't fancy, but it's clean, quiet, nicely appointed, and has a friendly family owned feel. The location is close to town center, within walking distance of some good restaurants like the Vista Pub. Owner opened up the office early for me to get a cup of coffee that he was fresh brewing...a nice touch.

Brookings is a nice town with a lot of potential and I would not hesitate to stay at Wild Rivers again. I've stayed down at the Beachfront Lodge on the harbor and it really isn't worth the ridiculous prices they charge for an isolated spot that isn't close to any decent eating establishment. Wild Rivers is a much better choice and it will be my staying spot when I visit Brookings again.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
14nerhiker, Owner at Wild Rivers Motor Lodge, responded to this review, August 8, 2013
Thank you for your review of our hotel. We apologize for not getting back to responding to your review in a timely manner. My wife and I both worked for Red Lion Hotels, Hilton Hotels & Doubletree prior to our move to Brookings and purchase of the Wild Rivers Motorlodge. Some of the things we learned from them have gone into our hotel. It is nice that you noticed and again, thank you. We certainly will look forward to seeing you again if in the area.

90 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2013

I'm reading some of these reviews and wondering if we are talking about the same place. I have stayed here several times, as has my sister. We both have always found nice clean rooms, nice furnishings, comfortable beds, and a bathtub. It is no frills but clean, updated, convenient and Internet always worked for me. The staff was always kind and the prices very reasonable. I have stayed at the Best Western before, and yes, although nicer, it wasn't worth the high or low season rates. Wild Rivers is a fair price for a clean, comfy room. When I visit Brookings, this is the only place I stay.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
14nerhiker, Owner at Wild Rivers Motor Lodge, responded to this review, March 22, 2013
Thank you for your review from your stay in November at our hotel. We strive to accomplish what you mentioned in your review; nice clean rooms, nice furnishings, comfortable beds, updated, convenient and always friendly kind staff. We have made every effort to keep our rates as reasonable as possible as well as comparable to the area, particularly when you consider like accommodations. Thank you once again, we look forward to seeing you again soon.
Roseburg, Oregon, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013

I had a meeting in Brookings and looked up the write ups on this site and it sounded o.k. The basics are all I need. However, they tucked us away in a corner unit and I could not connect to their wifi. When I looked at the hotel size shampoo, soap, etc. I spied a small sign by the product that said for 50 cents I could purchase additional amenities. There was a similar sign in or around the bath tub also.

There was another sign warning you against smoking in a nonsmoking room and if you did sin, your card would be charged $200 to destink the room. While I agree with no smoking - there had to be a kinder way to express it.

There were additional signs on the office door, outside, etc. It is one thing to have rules but it is another thing to handle the posting of said rules in such a fashion.

The room was clean, neat, etc. and if was not such a contrary old guy, the signage might not have been as offensive to me.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for your review from your stay in February at our hotel. We strive to meet or exceed our guest’s expectations with every stay. Unfortunately your experience was less than stellar and for that we apologize. If the unit you were in was one of our premium King rooms, I can assume that you might have been in room 124. In addition to wireless internet, in those rooms we also have an Ethernet connection and can provide cables for access if the wireless connection has problems. Based on the location of our antennae that particular room (and a couple of others), do sometimes have problems and for that we truly apologize. You mentioned our “extra amenities” sign and we wish to explain further about that. We supply Bath & Body works soaps, shampoos and lotions and have had on many occasions positive comments on them to the extent that guests have requested extras to take with them. We simply felt that we could let people know that they could in fact purchase some to take with them at roughly our cost. Unfortunately some guests do take offense in this, and again we apologize. Also unfortunately some guests need to be reminded that smoking in a non smoking room can be disruptive, costly and a health hazard to those who do not smoke, therefore we have placed those signs in our non smoking rooms as well. We agree that there should be a nicer way to put it unfortunately it can and does occur regardless of wording, therefore to send a stronger message (and most hotels do) tends to at least lessen the instances. We apologize that you took offense in the reminder signs and certainly your suggestions can help us improve the way we do things. We sincerely appreciate your comments and hope that you may try us again in the future if in the area.
Seattle, Washington
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2013

When I pulled into the driveway, the first thing I noticed (aside from the huge canoes) was a carved wooden "NO PETS ALLOWED" sign. (see pic below) Having booked a pet friendly room, I proceeded, assuming that it was the front planter only. It wasn't.
After what was at best an awkward check-in, with a teenager who wrote most of my information (including my credit card info) on notepaper, instead of a computer, and who couldn't produce the itemized receipt that I requested, my dog and I checked into our room. The room itself was fine, save for the fact that every single surface had a printed card on it, explaining the additional charges I'd incur if I so much as breathed too much during my stay. I read them all, hoping to find where the "pet area" was because A. I wasn't told at check in, and B. found the same "NO PETS ALLOWED" sign in every planter on the property. So I walked to the front desk, and was told that it was past the far no pets sign, down a muddy overgrown trail, that led to an even more overgrown, dark patch of weed grass, behind the hotel, practically on the adjoining gas station property. I'm a young woman, who was traveling alone with my small dog. I know it's Brookings, which is a safe place in general...but there is nothing OK about expecting your patrons to stand next to an overflowing poop canister in the rain being oggled by a gas attendant. I won't ever stay there again.
Additional info: I never did get that receipt...even though I made 2 additional requests with other people, and they only have 1 DVD player on the property, which they'll rent out to you for $5 a night. Classy!

Room Tip: Room cleanliness was fine. Pet area was FILTHY and unsafe. All rooms have road noise.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Thank you for your review from your stay in November at our hotel. We are sorry that your stay was less than enjoyable and that you felt our reminder signs in our rooms was excessive. Our landscaping islands throughout the parking lot are difficult to maintain in the best of circumstances, and unfortunately we attempt to keep pets out of these areas in lieu of our pet area simply in order to avoid having to replace plants, flowers, etc. constantly. We apologize that you found our pet area unappealing and even possibly unsafe. In the months of November through March it is extremely difficult to maintain a grassy location anywhere on the coast of Oregon and we are certain that this area was exactly as you described during your stay, unfortunately it is the only location we have for pets and we attempt (to the best of our ability) to keep it clean and presentable at least when the weather allows. We are sorry that you were not informed of the location of the pet area at check-in and we certainly can and will improve in this area. Based on your comments, we are training all of our agents on the procedure to post payments and charges directly and immediately into our accounting system so as to produce an itemized receipt upon request for all guests. Thank you for pointing out this deficiency in our procedures. We do appreciate comments such as yours in order for us to continue to improve on all aspects of our operation. Thank you for your review.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2013 via mobile

Clean rooms with fridge and microwave. Comfortable bed. A little road noise but not bad. Only complaint was the unusually loud motor on the fridge. Excellent value for the price especially since we were just passing through and needed a place to crash. I would stay here again.

• Stayed January 2013
Thank you for your review from your stay in January at our hotel. We are happy that you enjoyed your stay despite the minimal road noise and louder than usual motor of the fridge. The road noise in most cases is minimized later in the evening and in certain rooms cannot be heard at all. Our location is a blessing though since most, if not all lodgings are located on the highway here in Brookings, and we are the only hotel with a speed limit of only 25mph in front of our hotel keeping the “highway” type noise at least a little less. The motor on the fridge quite possibly could be slowly failing and this could have contributed to the louder than usual noise. As we find them failing we replace them as quickly as possible. Again, thank you for your review. It is comments like yours that help us continue to improve.
Rio Dell, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2013

This motel was very impressive for an older motel. They have taken great care in remodeling and making the rooms very nice. It's one of those places that is pleasing to the eye when you walk in the door. We had high ceilings and wood floors. I understand that this was a pet friendly room but you would be hard pressed to tell that an animal had ever been in that room. There are many places to eat very close by plus the theater and shopping or you can just crash in the room and enjoy some cable tv. There is a fridge and microwave so you can bring your own food and eat in. The cost was a little more than I usually pay but we splurged for the nice room. I normally search for that perfect combination of "nice" and "cheap" and this place definitely is nice.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for your review from your stay in July at our hotel. We appreciate your kind remarks and have truly taken a lot of care and hard work in maintaining an “older motel”. We have owned the hotel for a little more than 5 years now, and the work and renovations just keep continuing. Rest assured that the rate you paid was the very best rate available based on the season and comparability of our rooms to our competitors. We appreciate your comments and will continue to attempt to keep our rates as comparable and inexpensive as possible while providing an outstanding product for every guest. Thank you again, we look forward to seeing you again if in the area. Try an offseason time period such as October, or March through April to early May, for some really good deals and the same outstanding product. Really the weather is not bad during those months and the crowds are far less.
Blackfalds, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2013

what a nice place to stay. Comfy bed & the room was remodled and wow what a job. hard wood floors & vaulted ceiling. Pet friendly. very nice friendly staff. recommended the best pizza (Zola's).what a nice town. everybody we met was friendly. the maintenance guy should get a raise. beatiful property.landscaping is great.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your review from your stay in December at our hotel. We appreciate your positive comments and strive to keep a clean, comfortable room for every guest. We recently installed the hard wood floors in our pet rooms in order to maintain them at the same level of cleanliness as all rooms even if you aren’t traveling with a pet. We are a family owned and operated hotel and even staff that is not family are still very friendly and we appreciate you noticing. Your comments are always shared with all staff. The landscaping is one of pride and attention and the “maintenance man” is my son. He takes great care in all aspects of the property and actually has just recently been given a raise as well as he has many perks. Again thank you for your comments. We look forward to seeing you again.

Been to Wild Rivers Motor Lodge? Share your experiences!