“Great Chowder” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #12 of 46 Restaurants in Brookings
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: American, Chowder, Seafood, Barbecue
Good for: Scenic view
Dining options: Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Street Parking, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
“Great Chowder”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2013

Very friendly local place. Had a short wait for a table, and they close at 7, so come early. The chowder was great. I have had a bowl everywhere we have eaten on this trip, and this was the best. Service was great. They had a little trouble with our order, and compted our beers. We had a platter the we shared. The grilled shrimp were great, good fish. fried shrimp were a little over cooked. The cook/owner came to our table to tell us how sorry he was about our dinner taking so long. He came right out and said he had burned it. So we talked about where he was from and how he ended up un Oregon. We did tell him he needed to loose the calimari from the menue. Really did the restaurant a disservice to even put it on the plate.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere

traveling3500
“Great Fish and Chips”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2013

Great Fish and Chips. Lightly Breaded and Fish Fresh and Cooked Perfect. Chowder OK, a little less flour in its thickening rue. Less cabbage and more Pico De Gallo in Very Good Fish and Shrimp Tacos.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Phoenix, Arizona
“Delicious Food Reasonably Priced”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2013

Best clam chowder I have ever had. Honestly. I have traveled up and down the east and west coasts and at age 57 I have tasted a lot of chowder. I would never have guessed that this unassuming place would have such delicious food. I can't even begin to describe the chowder- it had a unique seasoning that was not overbearing but really made the chowder stand out. We also tried the 3 piece cod and chips and I found the cod sizes and the price (around $12) very reasonable. The cod was flakey and perfectly cooked. The coleslaw was not overly drenched in dressing like it is at so many other places. I even liked the french fries, which I usually will not eat.

While waiting in line, a local recommended the Meat Lovers Burger to my husband and I thought he was crazy to order it, but this local gal had so raved about the Meat Lovers Burger that felt he had to try to it. It was a 1/3lb hamburger with sliced prime rib and cheese and all the fixings. He loved it.

The place was super busy and the staff worked hard and take care of everyone. We had a short 5 minute wait and received apologies from the different staff with whom we interacted. food came out quickly.

I was so impressed that I read up on the Sporthaven Marina online. We saw the owners/chef Howard and Cindy were there working hard to provide a quality experience and we appreciate that. I urge you to give this family business a try.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Tucson, Arizona, United States
“A local favorite”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2013

Everyone we asked recommended this place and we were not disappointed. The hometown feel of people visiting and greeting one another is great, almost from another era. Howard, the owner, came to our table to ask how the meal was. That kind of friendly almost never happens anymore. He offered to come outdoors with us to take our picture in front of the harbor, since we were with old friends on a special occasion. The food, by the way, was outstandingly fresh and yummy.

• Visited July 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Arizona
“Nice typical harbor restaurant”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

The decor leaves a lot to be desired but if you're looking for authentic fish and chips and chowder, this is the place.

• Visited July 2013