“Comfortable Stay in Brookings, Oregon” 4 of 5 stars

Spindrift Motor Inn
1215 Chetco Avenue, Brookings, OR   |
Ranked #3 of 8 Hotels in Brookings
oregon
“Comfortable Stay in Brookings, Oregon”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013

The Spindrift Motor Inn is a very comfortable motor inn along highway 101 in Brookings Oregon. We were there for one night to attend a high school basketball game....no special getaway but we still wanted a reasonably priced, clean and comfortable room. Our room had micro, fridge and coffee maker. We also had a view of the ocean; not close enought to walk to the beach by any means but had whales been out we might have seen them. We were far enough off of the highway that we heard no traffic noise. The owner/manager was very personable and knowledgeable about the area. We have stayed at the Spindrift before and I'm sure we will stay there on future trips to Brookings.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
Grants Pass, Oregon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2013

The hotel is located where you can see the beautiful ocean. When we checked in Myrtle was very friendly, asked us if there was anything we needed, provided us with directions and locations of good restaurants and to the harbor. We had a spotless room that we stayed in for a couple of days. The service was great, beds made every day, the room cleaned, vacuumed, and trash out every day. Our stuff was never disturbed. It was like being home away from home. We didn't have to worry about anything. Questions about the area and Michael and Myrtle had th answers for us. We will definetely recommend the Spindrift Hotel to everyone that we know, and will be staying there anytime we come to Brookings.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Medford, Oregon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2013

I've never been treated rudely, but I understand that the previous manager had "issues". The current manager is very friendly and professional and I hope he stays for a long time.The rooms are somewhat older now, but still spotlessly clean. My most recent room had a microwave, refrigerator, and coffee maker. I believe they all do. As one other reviewer said, my room (and I think all or most others do, too) has an ocean view. But no beach access. A couple hundred feet from the motel across the truck parking area is a cliff that has the ocean at the bottom of it. Nearest beach access is at Harris Beach, a drive of a mile or so. We'll be back next time we need a motel in Brookings.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
San Ramon, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013

My family of four stayed at this motel for 6 days.
When we first arrived Michael proceeded to tell us what not to do.
Put anything on the beds be it a brush own pillow etc and the beds would not be touched. We were to get bed service everyday but the beds would be made everyday. Service everyday Meaning trash taken out toiletries replaced etc. This did not happen. The service was non existent.
I know they didn t vacuum all week as I had dropped a pair of earplugs on the floor in full view and they were still there at check out. We had to ask for Toilet paper and trash pick up. When I went to ask for toilet paper the wife Myrtle looked at me as if I was bothering her as she was busy doing other things. I had to ask them to rest their router at which I got an attitude as if I was disturbing the pair at night after dark. say 8pm. Keep in mind these people turned off their sign every night we were there as soon as it was dark. Myrtle did not like to be bothered by people. They asked me to move my room on the last day. I knew this was going to happen as they needed to make room for another couple to use our room. When I went to ask for the Key to the other room on the 6th day myrtle said I didn t like the way you spoke to my yesterday when you asked for the toilet paper. I want Michael to speak to you Keep in mind I did complain and say to Myrtle when asking for toilet paper You are acting like I am disturbing you for asking for toilet paper. I guess she didn t like that. My wife had the exact same experience when asking for anything from Myrtle. We were actually going to say another week but decided to Move to the Best Western Motel as we were horrified at the Service and Demeanor of these Managers. I asked for the owners contact information when leaving and Michael refused. When I said I would try to be out by 11am Michael told me if I was not out of the room by 11am he would call the police. The whole week there was maybe 4 other cars at this Motel each night one was mine. while the Motel across the street was quite occupied. I paid $70 per night to be treated as if I was lucky to have a place to stay. Myrtle acted as if she was paying me to stay there. If I were the owners I would be looking for new management. By the way the sign does say Under new management outside. I would walk in and fire these two on the spot. Michael has no way of knowing how his wife treats the guests. he was not there when the total discourteousness happened. He took the attitude of not finding out what had happened. I went to the police and filed a report on what took place. I filed so that if anything else happens to someone else the police will be aware. The Police informed me about this motels reputation online. Lets hope anyone who goes to Brookings Brings a Tent of last resort. Not this place. By the way any motel would be happy to have our business. Every motel we drove by had vacancy signs. I should have looked on Yelp or Yahoo before staying here. On a positive note Michael watched the place like a prison guard. Myrtle displayed her laziness and rudeness each day we were there. I would have moved earlier except I have two teenage daughters and a wife with all their stuff in the room.
Whatever you do. Do NOT STAY AT THE SPINDRIFT MOTEL IN BROOKINGS OR. I hope the owners will contact me to discuss the situation. I feel very bad for them. I can t Imagine depending on these two to make a profit in any motel. I would give this a less than one star rating.
chuck aslinger

Room Tip: DO YOURSELF A FAVOR STAY ACROSS STREET. My family of four stayed at this motel for 6 days. When w...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Egan, Sd
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2012

This motel is located on the beautiful Oregon coast. We walked about 200 steps to watch the sunset on the Pacific Ocean, and it was awesome. Room is extremely clean, office is friendly, and we are delighted with our experience. We are from South Dakota, and we are on our anniversary trip, and this is a gem.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Grants Pass, Oregon
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2012

Our recent stay at the Spindrift was very nice! The staff is helpful, and had some teriffic recommendations for restaurants in the area. The room was clean, a bit dated, but overall very comfortable. I did recommend that they obtain some new pillows, as the ones in the room were rather flat. The room had a nice ocean view, and had a new microwave and small refrigerator.

Room Tip: Bring your own pillow.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Auckland Region, New Zealand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2012

We are happy to have chosen this motel - clean, nice rooms with enough space not to feel cramped and - to top it up - Oceanviews from our second floor room! Would choose to come here again and can recommend it to everyone!
Thanks again to the very helpful and friendly managers - Michael & Myrtle Thompson - for going out of their way to help us solving problems with another motel further north. It all turned out well in the end!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Spindrift Motor Inn? Share your experiences!