“Interesting, Attractive, Eccentric” 4 of 5 stars
Review of A Country Retreat Bed and Breakfast

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Brookings
A Country Retreat Bed and Breakfast
16980 Coho DR, PO Box 2687, Brookings, OR 97415   |
Ranked #5 of 6 Brookings B&B and Inns
Solvang, California
“Interesting, Attractive, Eccentric”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2013

Its up the North Bank of the Chetco River in the redwoods, away from the ocean fog. Coho Drive is the driveway for the Riverside Market. If you don't find the Riverside Market, you won't find the Country Retreat.

The rooms really do have shag rugs on the floor, walls and ceiling. Acoustically effective, but how do you vacuum the ceiling?

The breakfast is terrific.

Put it on your list. You won't forget it.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

23 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Vancouver, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2012

After receiving our visa payment and providing my drivers license for ID Evelyn, the proprietor gave us a choice of 7:30 or 8:00 AM breakfast, as that was when the other guests wanted it. When we protested Evelyn told us that we were expected at 2 PM (the current time was 5 PM) and inquired as to whether we had stayed at a B&B before. I ensured Evelyn that we have been staying at B&Bs for years and had never been offered breakfast so early. After I reminded her that we are on vacation she relented. We were showed a room with dark shag w/w carpets floor, walls and ceiling. We were told that the shower worked but that there was a part on order. We later discovered that the shower only worked when we held the center knob out. We ran out of hot water during our second shower. We were told the toilet (with 30 year old plumbing and undersized seat) worked but that there was a part on order. The toilet worked once. We called Evelyn and she turned on the toilet taps. 30 mins later we called her again and she fixed the toilet lever. In the morning the toilet failed again, and I had only luke warm water to shave. Evelyn told us a second part was on order for the toilet. I confronted Evelyn and she gave us another room for our second night with updated plumbing which was most suitable. The following day we travelled to Portland and I discovered that my drivers license was missing. I called Evelyn had she confirmed that she had it. The courier fee cost me $40.

Room Tip: Check the room before you pay
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
charley28_10, Owner at A Country Retreat Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, September 17, 2012
From the beginning Country Retreat Bed & Breakfast attempted to accommodate these guests in every way. The list of inaccuracies in this review is long. We haven’t had much experience with those who are unhappy with our establishment (as you can see by the other comments). Many different times for breakfast are offered and no one is forced to any specific time other than breakfast is only served until 10am because checkout time is 11am. Check-in is from 3pm-7pm. Anyone can arrive at any time, just like to know when someone will be later than 7pm so that we can be available for them. The part on order was for another bathroom. The Aztec Room shower worked and continues to work just fine, hot water and all. We have a family member who is a retired plumber and checked everything out. Everything was working upon their arrival. We always want to accommodate our guests and that is why we moved them to another room. When he called asking about this license, I did not know where it was at that time, I told him, that both rooms had been cleaned and no license was found but that I would look for it. We looked everywhere for his license, he is very fortunate because we found it in a plant next to the check-in desk. He must have dropped it there when I handed his drivers license and credit card back to him at check-in. I called him back, I asked him how he would like me to send it, he wanted me to mail it to him express to Canada. If you ask me, he’s lucky that I found his license.
Roseburg, Oregon
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2012

Last year I took Kate to Evelyn's B&B, A Country Retreat Bed and Breakfast where we were treated to a very nice two night stay. We stayed in the Aztec Room and found it to be "unique" and super quiet. This is an older upscale home with literally tons of items collected from around the world. Evelyn waited on us and we left towels outside the door and she took them away leaving replacements. Morning coffee was left at the door too!
Breakfast: Amazing, an array of choices, wave after wave of food and great coffee! It was here that I proposed to my lady and she said yes! Evelyn had been clued in and prepared fresh flowers and other arrangements for our special occasion.
We were there in March, not the best weather for viewing her extensive flowered landscaping. We did drive over to the Salmon Run golf course and we have left a review for this fine little golf course too! Word to the wise: It rains and stays wet off and on during the winter and spring. Regardless, we had a ball.
Some not so fun things comprise a short list. The pool table was close to the walls so we had to use the short cues! I know, a little too whiney but the antique collection was all around us. That's it - told you it was a short list.
Brookings and Brookings Harbor are great places to visit. The boat harbor always holds my attention and has many large year around yachts in harbor. The commercial fleet is pretty large too. Their summer art fair on the wharf is well attended and the crafts represented there are above the norm. Be sure to visit the "Lions Whelp" an 85' sailboat that is on it's last legs, has quite a history and you can learn of it's history by typing it's name in a Google search.
If you want ultra quiet, a gracious hostess, pleasant surroundings (but not over-the-top except courtesy and breakfast), with certainty, we recommend A County Inn.

Room Tip: The Aztec Room was good for us! This site only allows a finite number of choices when visiting this...
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
charley28_10, Owner at A Country Retreat Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, July 25, 2012
Hi-
Glad you enjoyed your visit and hoping to see you again soon.
Vancouver, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2012

My husband and I went on an early one year anniversary and Father's Day retreat. I had never been to Brookings, Oregon or past Coos Bay Oregon for that matter. After spending a sleepless night in a motel from an aching leg and back we arrived and were treated like royalty with fresh ice water and ice tea and a wonderful Bumble Bee Lemon Cheese Cake dessert. The following day we had delicious peach cobbler and ice cream that was still warm when she served it to us on the deck. We were so happy our room was so spacious and our own private deck and bath and beautiful grounds.

Evelyn recommended a couple of restaurants and we chose The Alley and it was not only delicious, romantic and the service and people were so friendly.

Our breakfasts were delightful and served with the finest foods she prepared and table setting and fresh flowers....mmmmmmm we are so spoiled.

We highly recommend this B&B and plan to go back on another special occasion. Might I add the fresh breeze at night is delightful and the bed and pillows so comfy. And Don tried to teach me the game of pool.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Central Point, Oregon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2012

We spend two delightful nights in the Panda Room and enjoyed the peaceful and excellent service and food. Each morning's breakfast was gormet faire served with just the right amount of attention. And oh, so much food to choose from and your particular dietiary needs are considered as well. Evelyn wants to make sure all of your desires are presented with special touches. The room was clean and well appointed with items from the owner's travels and the living room is cozy and available for guest use.

Room Tip: We asked for the Panda Room and it has a nice private bath with a large shower. It is also has a le...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Citrus Heights
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2012

Spent 4 nights and it was like living as royalty. Evelyn is the hostess extrordinary! She waits on you and caters to your every need. She made me feel as I was home. We wanted to take her home with us. The breakfasts? WOW! The best food ever! Bran muffins and Peach Cobbler to die for in the evening. Room was great and bed very comfortable. Don't know when, but I will be back!

Room Tip: Our stay was in the Aztec Room
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
Turner, Oregon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2012

We had a very nice relaxing trip! Evelyn is very sweet and provided excellent service for us. We had wonderful country style breakfasts every morning, yummy afternoon snacks such as warm Bran muffin which was to die for and homemade peach cobbler with ice cream. The bed was very comfortable and the house had a warm and welcoming feel to it. We have not been to a bed and breakfast in the U.S. before but have over in Europe. We would definitely do this again! Thanks Evelyn!!!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to A Country Retreat Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!