“River is worth it!” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #11 of 43 Hotels in Bend
Bend, Oregon
“River is worth it!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013

We stayed there in June. I had done a lot of reading here and wanted a room across the bridge with a fireplace as I am from Maui and was looking forward to cool evening weather. I was assured I would have that room. When we arrived, they said they were sorry and that room was not available but I had a nice room. The girl who booked us was no longer there. We checked out the room and I called to say, it was like going to Maui and booking an ocean front room only to get a garden room with a sliver of the ocean.
Anthony, said no problem, and booked us across the bridge with a fireplace and jacuzzi. We were next to the bridge on the first floor, but it's like being on the second floor, right over the water. The sound is amazing. The staff was awesome, and when we needed more wood, brought it right over. There is a nice TV, fridge, microwave in room. When a light went out, fixed right away. The room could use more light though. The bathroom had been remodeled. They were in the process of replacing the carpet in all the rooms, so should be even nicer. Breakfast was really good, lots to choose from and fresh fruit. Plenty to eat and staff nice. Would have been nice to have cream with coffee, and a variety of flavors, but that is minor. Eating on the deck is so nice. The pools are very nice and well kept. This is an older hotel, but I would stay there again. They are very dog friendly, and our daughter drove up to stay a night with her dog, and they were nice enough to put her next door.
This is well located for whatever you want to do, with stores very close, such as trader Joes and TJ Max, for whatever you might need. You I don't hear the highway at all. I'll be back soon, as we liked it so much, we are selling our home on Maui and moving to Bend! Stay across the river, the walk to eat to the lodge is short and the river rooms are the best!

Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
RiverhouseHotelMgr, Manager at The Riverhouse Hotel and Convention Center, responded to this review, July 17, 2013
Many thanks for being our guest and for taking the opportunity to share such thoughtful words regarding your stay. I'm so glad to hear that you enjoyed your first visit to our property, and we look forward to welcoming you as a resident of Bend! While I apologize for any initial difficulties you faced in attaining the proper room, I'm thrilled that our accommodating team was able to problem-solve and set you up with a first-class experience. As you noted, we're undergoing renovations across the facility, and we look forward to sharing our evolution with you and your family!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (194)
Portland, Oregon, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2013

My Son (18 years old) and i stayed there recently over spring break. WE LOVED IT.
We loved the room...it was RIGHT on the Deschutes River! We also loved the convenience to downtown Bend -- just 2 minutes away. Free Breakfast was always the right way to start our day and the Riverhouse restaurant was a REAL treat for dinner. We Golfed at the course behind the Hotel -- Rivers Edge. What more can i say?? we loved it so much we're going back for a stay next month. Counting the days!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
RiverhouseHotelMgr, Manager at The Riverhouse Hotel and Convention Center, responded to this review, July 15, 2013
Thanks for being our guest and for taking the opportunity to share such kind words with us, Michael. I'm so glad to hear that we were able to create such a memorable experience for you and your son, and we're excited to share our facilities with you again next month! Please reach out, if you haven't done so already; we're excited to set you up with another world-class escape!
Glendale
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2013 via mobile

I am giving this location 4 stars because it is so lovely. My stay there was as part of a convention, a small one by most standards, < 400 members & guests. Check in was unorganized and under staffed for such a large event. As were the restaurant & lounge where service was incredibly slow and sometimes just plain rude. Food was delivered incomplete, totally wrong and in at least one case, not at all, even though it appeared on the bill.

The rooms are very nice, spacious and include microwave and a mini fridge. The hot breakfast was pretty good. It included fresh melons, pineapple, granola, oatmeal (which was chewy & dry) and scrambled eggs each day. Other offerings rotated between waffles & sausage or biscuits & gravy & bacon.

Conference facilities were modern and attractive. Food for the banquet was very good.

Again, this property is beautiful and maybe service is better when traveling individually.

Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
RiverhouseHotelMgr, Manager at The Riverhouse Hotel and Convention Center, responded to this review, July 12, 2013
Thanks for being a guest of the Riverhouse Hotel and for taking the opportunity to share your experience with us. While I'm glad to hear that you enjoyed the unparalleled space and scenery of our special property, I'm disheartened to hear of the atypical and questionable registration and dining experiences that you encountered during your stay. Whether for business or leisure, as a couple or a company, we strive to provide an unparalleled experience for each of our guests, and I apologize for those instances where we fell short during your visit. We'd love the opportunity to host you again and to demonstrate those services for which we've become renown. We encourage you to reach out the next time you return to the area, and to experience the refined qualities that stand us apart as the area's finest. Many thanks again for your time and review; we hope to see more of you soon.
Bend, Oregon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2013

i reserved a room for my friend and his wife who were coming up to visit from califronia which also was their 35 th wedding anniversary. we kept his wife guessing as to where they were going to stay for a surprise. we even told her we weren't sure if the place had heat but that the "little cabins" probably had wood and a little fire place if it got cold.
well, was she surprised and could'nt believe how beautiful the location adjacent to the deschutes river was!
they both had a wonderful stay at the riverhouse and it was all that i had hoped for them. i have also stayed at the property and had a great time. the staff at the hotel and restuarant were fabulous and so helpful.i don't think the complimentary bottle of champagne they so kindly provided my friends hurt either.
i won't hesitate to book there again

Room Tip: get the river view rooms; they're worth it
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Thanks for trusting The Riverhouse with your special occasion, Johnny. I have the utmost confidence in our dedicated team, and I'm so glad to hear that your friends' stay was a memorable one. We appreciate the significance of occasions, and we couldn't be more delighted to share it alongside them. Please reach out the next time you or your company visits the area; we'd be honored to share more of our majestic spaces with you!
Gresham, Oregon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2013

Riverhouse was awesome!
The room was spaciuos and comfortable and the river view was amazing.
The staff went out of their way for us and very friendly.
We chose to go to the Riverhouse restaurant for our anniversary dinner and if I ever had to decide on a last meal, it would be here! Our waiter even surprised us with a dessert to take back to our room.
We had fun hiking along the beautiful river with our dog every chance we got.
Thank you so much Riverhouse, we will see you again later this year :)

Room Tip: If you want a view from your room, choose river side.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Thanks for choosing the Riverhouse for your special occasion, Julie, and for taking the time to share such kind words with us. It's a huge honor to host such special occasions, and we don't take them lightly. I'm so glad to hear that our team made your anniversary a memorable one, and we look forward to the opportunity of celebrating many more alongside you. Many thanks for your time and review; we're excited to see you again soon!
Stayton, Oregon
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

Just read some of the recent reviews for this property and all I can say in a single word is DITTO!
We came to Bend to participate in the Summit Classic Masters Track Meet on Saturday 06 July and I selected this hotel online for three reasons... its location near our track venue, "special rate" and our experiences from previous stays. Check-in was welcoming and efficient.
This is a large property, so driving to room, was expected. Like others visitor's comments, everything was dated and in need of renovations. Our previous experience with this hotel was over ten years ago and although we had positive memories of that visit, this stay reminded us that time has marched on and this property needs a solid makeover, especially in light of it's marketing itself as a world class resort destination! We selected a room with a single queen, and discovered a very large room with a queen bed on one side, and a great expanse of nothing all the way to the other side of the room. The "void", was there to accommodate a Murphy bed which we did not need. The room contained two lonely chairs totally overwhelmed by the gulf of space The desk, refrigerator/microwave combo and flat screen TV were positioned abutting the long wall across from bed. The TV was built into a cabinet, and even though the screen could be moved slightly right and left, you could not pull it out from the cabinet which greatly restricted any viewing from the bed...odd arrangement, to say the least. The bed was comfortable but sleep was a bit fitful due to noise of ac kicking on. We also learned of the motorcycle gathering through the noise of bikes, but since our room faced the parking lot, what else would you expect? We went for a nice walk along the 2 mile jogging trail behind the hotel and when we returned all the bikes were parked and quiet. The complimentary drink at the lounge was a nice welcoming gesture. We ordered an appetizer and were pleasantly surprised by both its quantity and quality!
Breakfast was terrific! Nice variety of hot and cold choices. Location large enough to accommodate many guests and choice of inside or outside seating. We stayed two nights and overall it was a good experience. The staff was very pleasant and informative. The special rate we paid, is still overpriced for the current condition of this property. Will we return?...probably not unless...there is a full scale remodel or a substantial lowering of the their standard rates.

Room Tip: If you want to avoid parking lot noise, you'll have to pay more and specify, river view.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
RiverhouseHotelMgr, Manager at The Riverhouse Hotel and Convention Center, responded to this review, July 21, 2013
Thanks for being a returning guest of The Riverhouse and for taking the time to share your stay with us. I'm glad to hear that you enjoyed many of our complimentary services and the dining selections offered by our friendly and professional team. That said, I understand your concerns regarding updates, and I'd like to assure you that we are in the process of doing just that. Throughout the facility, we are replacing carpets, upgrading furniture installations, and making updates to mirror the beauty of our natural environment. We hope that you'll return in the near future to experience our evolution alongside us!
Portland, OR
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

I was there for a conference that involved a lot of sitting on some very hot days; my husband came along, and we wanted to use the exercise room and pool. When we check in, I noticed language in the fine print about a 3% surcharge for use of facilities. This turned out to be for using any of the "extras," such as the internet, the indoor pool, the exercise room, the spa. We could ask for the charge to be removed at check-out if we didn't use any of the facilities. The desk clerk was fairly snippy as she said that the hotel needs to recoup its expenses for these amenities and that, as it was, we were getting a generous free breakfast that was worth a lot. (They charge $10 to non-guests.)

The website doesn't say anything about this surcharge, and I've never encountered this before, even at inexpensive places. (It does say that the business center with internet service is complimentary!) In addition, we looked at the exercise room, and it had a couple of treadmills and one weight machine and no weights -- this for 220 guest rooms!

The hotel should say up front what the charge is and what it does and does not include. No one I spoke with at the conference realized that there would be a surcharge for the amenities (which most participants did not even have time to use), and the hotel probably takes in quite a bit that way.

Breakfast had a decent variety, but the quality wasn't great -- eggs seemed powdered, granola and yogurt super-sweet, and bad waffles. Coffee, fruit, oatmeal, and juice were all good.

I would describe the overall condition of the place as "shabby elegant." It needs some updating, new carpets in the halls, and deep cleaning.

The room was a good size but smelled strongly of cigarettes, especially by the door. One of the handles on a sink fell off, and I had to screw it back on. I awoke in the middle of the night and discovered the alarm clock was not keeping correct time, so I was afraid I wouldn't be up on time for the conference and woke up every couple of hours.

I noticed dirty dishes in the hallway that were not picked up for 24 hours.

A friend was awakened at 4:00 a.m. by her room's smoke detector's beeping, still beeping loudly when I stopped by there after breakfast. (I believe it was fixed in late morning or early afternoon.)

This could be a really nice hotel (it advertises itself as "Bend's finest"), but the sneaky surcharge with the snippy explanation, smell of cigarettes, worn feel, and subpar exercise facilities made the place a disappointment, and it was not cheap.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
RiverhouseHotelMgr, Manager at The Riverhouse Hotel and Convention Center, responded to this review, July 18, 2013
Thanks for being a guest of The Riverhouse and for taking the time to share such thoughtful feedback with us. I'm disheartened to hear of the many frustrations you experienced while in our company, and I'd love for a second opportunity to showcase the exceptional services for which we're renown. Please reach out the next time you return to the area. With upgrades across our evolving facility, we'd love to share our changing face with you. Many thanks again for your time and review; we hope to see more of you soon.

Been to The Riverhouse Hotel and Convention Center? Share your experiences!