“Great location - much improved resort” 4 of 5 stars

Hotel deals
Ranked #24 of 43 Hotels in Bend
GreenLeadersGold level
Eugene, Oregon
“Great location - much improved resort”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2006

We had stayed at the Inn of the Seventh Mountain back in the 1980's - when it was a tired, worn out place. We decided to try it out again and booked a weekend special (which included a sales pitch for shared deed condo units). The resort is much better than it used to be. It will be a LOT better once they complete the residing job on all of the condo units - the exteriors are in terrible shape after 40 years of weather beating. The interiors are nice though. The location is great - on the way to Bachelor but still close to Bend. Much more convenient than SunRiver. The new pools and hot tubs are great. The outdoor ice skating rink was wonderful. We had dinner at Seasons, the restaurant on site, and it was great (better than the Pine Tavern in Bend where we ate the previous evening, and great service for us and our six year old son.) The condo presentation was not a hard sell - they do have a pretty good product to offer and we were offered usage of the real estate office's two lift passes up at the mountain so I had no problem listening to the presentation after a great day of skiing. The other bonus is that the resort is linked to the Deschutes River trail - which I had somehow missed in my previous stays. That alone will make me want to come back, with a mountain bike in the summer or fall.

• Stayed December 2006, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (75)
Oregon
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2006

My husband, my 2 year old daughter, and I recently spent 2 nights at the Seventh Mountain Resort.

Approximately three weeks before our trip, I contacted the resort about reservations and information about activities on the property. I had seen the specials on the Internet and was aware of the rates available for the days in which I was interested. I had to specifically ask about the lower priced rooms--the non-renovated rooms--to find out about them. The person I spoke to told me there were "lots" of activities and cited golf and the pools. I mentioned that I originally heard of the resort through a book called "100 Best Family Resorts in North America" and mentioned some of the activities listed in my resource. The person I spoke to said, "I don't know what you were looking in, but it was old." He referred me to the website (which I had already visited). The website, by the way, also mentions "activities" without specifics--not helpful to a parent. I also requested that he send me any information available from the resort about activities available and things going on at the resort--either for the month of November or even for the previous month of October--to give me an idea of what was typically available. The person I spoke to said he would send something out. I also asked him how many rooms of each type were available on the days we were considering to have an idea of the urgency of booking. He told me there were 15 non-renovated rooms and 70 renovated rooms available. With a 7 day cancellation policy and a drive over Crater Lake with unpredictable weather conditions, we decided we could wait on making reservations.

When no information had arrived by the morning we planned to leave for our trip, my husband called to check availability again. Again, the person he spoke to did not offer the non-renovated rooms. She also told him that unless we specifically reserved that room type, the resort might not have one clean and ready for us when we arrived. With a $100 difference for a renovated room when we planned to spend all of our time outside the room, we made a reservation for 4 hours later for the non-renovated room.

When we arrived, the non-renovated room was "clean" and "ready." The room's clock had not been adjusted for daylight savings time, which indicated to us that noone had even bothered to dust the room for months. As we were unpacking, we found dirty socks and shirts from the previous guests in the drawers of the bedroom dresser. By morning the bathroom had enough bugs of various species that I made a comment to my husband that the resort needed a better exterminator. My husband noticed a cool breeze throughout the night coming from the corner where an interior wall met an exterior wall.

We ate at the resort's restaurant--the only one open for dinner. It was fine--but it was not fabulous. On our way out, our daughter was thrilled to see 3 raccoons. A staff member told us that the raccoons on the grounds are mean and that he turns and walks away from them because they do not fear people--and they really didn't. It was nice to have a warning to keep my daughter safe.

And finally, the icing on the cake. To this point, we would have considered returning. The second night we were there, my daughter threw up. After we cleaned her up, called housekeeping to get the sheets and bring new ones (the guy didn't want to take the dirty ones out of the room--we had to ask him 3 times), changed her, bathed her, and got her settled down on a little sleeping bag on the floor, my husband and were exhausted. As we started to pack the suitcases up, we looked down to see A MOUSE running across the floor. This was the first time my daughter had slept in a room by herself at a hotel, and there was a mouse running around!! At this point I was incredibly glad I didn't pay for the renovated room because based on the way the buildings are constructed the rooms are all in the same buildings. I'm certain the mice don't just live in the "cheap" rooms.

The next morning when we checked out, the clerk didn't even have the decency to pretend surprise. She actually told my husband that since the resort is in the woods, it gets mice. Well, our yard has deer, coyote, and raccoons, and our neighbors have had a bear on their roof. Neither we nor our neighbors have mice in our houses!

• Liked — ice rink
  • Disliked — the mouse
  • Tips/Secrets — don't go!
  • Stayed November 2006, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2006

We (2 adults and teenager) stayed 3 nights in a premium 1 BR and really enjoyed our stay. Room bigger than expected, and had a comfortable pull out sofa and murphy bed (which broke) in LR next to giant island/bar and nice fully furnished kitchen, good divided bath with 2 sinks, comfortable bed in BR, view of creek. What more could you want - a small family could easily live there full time, especially with a good golf course next door, tennis courts, stable, pools, work out room, etc. It had a camp feel about it. And on the way to Mount Bachelor, next to the river where you go rafting, and only 10 minutes from town. We ate at the gourmet restaurant, Seasons, which was good. I'd recommend this place to anyone. We paid about $153 with AAA discount.

• Stayed August 2006, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Marin, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2006

We just returned from a family reunion at Inn of the Seventh Mountain. The units were nice. Six of us stayed in a unit with one bedroom and a loft. It was great having a kitchen to make meals. The kids loved the pools and spent most of the day in the water. They have lifeguards on duty, but they were chatting with one another most of the time.

We went on the river rafting trip and had a great time. The rapids weren't huge, probably class 3, but we had a good time splashing each other and floating down the river. We took our young girls (ages 3 and 5) on the family canoe float trip, which they really enjoyed.

We didn't eat at the restaurant on site, but heard great things about it.

It was a great location with hiking trails everywhere. You could also go for a nice bike ride. Our kids enjoyed the minature golf on site. Town was close by if you wanted to hit the shops, but we enjoyed hanging out close to the water.

Portland, Oregon
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2006

After reading the reviews of many Bend properties I chose the Inn at the Seventh Mountain to stay at while skiing with my husband and three children. This was our first time to Bend and Central Oregon and we fell in love with the area. Although the Inn was close to Mt. Bachelor we were disappointed in our accomadations. Ours was a room not renovated, old, dark, and small. It was a single room with two beds. Everything about the room looked and felt old. The walls were paper thin and we could hear the quietest of conversations next door. We also smelled like our neighbors breakfast; bacon and coffee without the benefits of enjoying eating it. The property itself seemed disconnected. There wasn't a lodge to speak of and because of the cold temp. we were forced to drive to the pool restaruants etc. The pool and ice rink were a nice addition but the deck of the pool area was so hazardous because of the ice build up. The hot tubs were luke warm. We didn't get maid service because we were only there two nights. The staff was average. I felt rushed when making my reservation and wasn't informed I would pay for the first nights lodging until after he came back from running my card. We had a nice weekend but I think there are many options that would suit our family better in our future trips to Bend. This very possibly could be a much better summer place to stay when everything is renovated and they put a little more detail into costumer service.

Stayed February 2006
A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2005

Six people from my family shared two suites at the 7th Mountain Resort on Labor Day Weekend 2005. We were very pleased by the Rooms, Personnel, Ambiance and services at the Inn. As that was the weekend of Hurricane Katrina, it was most helpful to have Cable news sources available to keep updated on that situation. We also doubly appreciated the surrounding peace and beauty of the area. We will be back. Thanks again.

Los Osos, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2005

My family and I recently stayed at the Seventh Mountain Resort in Bend, OR and found the ambiance and service to be excellent. We stayed in a one bedroom two bath unit that was very comfortable. The unit included a large living room and kitchen with fireplace which provided a home like atmosphere. All personnel were very professional and friendly. There was free wireless internet connection service everywhere on the facility which helped to stay in touch with business and home. The resort is located close to Bend and Mt Bachelor and has hiking trails along the river just out our backdoor. I highly recommend the Seventh Mountain Resort for business or vacation travelers.

Been to Seventh Mountain Resort? Share your experiences!