“Front Desk was AMAZING!!!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of McMenamins Old St. Francis School

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Bend
McMenamins Old St. Francis School
You added McMenamins Old St. Francis School to your Saves list
700 NW Bond St, Bend, OR 97701   |
Ranked #5 of 43 Hotels in Bend
Tigard, Oregon
“Front Desk was AMAZING!!!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2014

This hotel was beautiful. We REALLY enjoyed our stay, it's unfortunate we were only there for 1 night. We had stayed in a different hotel the night before and for my husband's birthday I had booked a room at Old St. Francis for the 2nd night. Check in was at 3pm, we originally were going to go check out some things around town and then check in close to 3 but there was a problem. Early in the morning my husband had gone out for a bike ride and got in a bad accident, rolling down a ravine and cutting himself up pretty good. When we were checking out of our other hotel his body was feeling wracked and he was bleeding pretty good and all he wanted to do was get cleaned up and lay down. I told him check in at Old St. Francis wasn't until 3pm but we would drive over and chat with them anyways....You never know. This was 10:30 in the morning. He sat in the truck while I talked to the front desk, what an amazing gal!! I told her what happened, she was quite empathetic and did some checking and shifting and got us into a room that was 5 minutes from being finished with the room clean. The woman that cleaned our room was amazing. She had just moved to Bend recently and she did a great job taking care of the last minute details. I feel awful because I don't remember either gals name!! Because of the front desk service we received, I used one of my Trip Advisor pins that you hand out for excellent service and I gave it to the gal at the front desk.

The building is well hidden and looks smaller than it really is. The soaking pool was BEAUTIFUL!!! I had never used one before and it was stunning. The movie theatre was quite nice and I went and watched Godzilla with my daughter (she missed it the last time) since the cost of your room includes free use of the movie theatre. Loved that we were within walking distance of so many things.

There are two downsides to this review and the ONLY reason I am giving them 4 stars. There are no mini-fridges in the room. We were on a very tight budget so when you bring food back, have drinks or bring stuff from home, you have no place to keep it cold. We had a lot of food go to waste because it got too warm! :( The other downside is the parking lot for the hotel is very small and for guests only and there is a sign that states that. When it gets very busy at night with people coming there to eat or drink they don't care about that and they park there anyways. The hotel has you write information on a piece of paper that you put in the windshield but nobody monitors it so if you leave in the evening, you are going to have a VERY hard time finding a place to park your car later and I think, for the amount of money that you spend to stay there, you should have a spot in the lodging parking lot. They know when the peak hours are and someone should be going out there and checking to make sure that the cars in the parking lot are cars that are hotel guests only (it's a small lot). Maybe start with a warning sign posted that cars are being checked and after such and such date, if you are NOT a hotel guest and you are parked there, your car will be towed. Word spreads fast....Trust me!

Room Tip: We stayed in room #110 right next to the water fountain. I can't remember the room name, except...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2014

The McMenamin concept is interesting and strange.

We got a tour of the hotel from a couple of family members that were staying there while we occupied the only room in the house of our relatives ;)!!

The place is almost odd ... the $5 Turkish Bath was amazing ... and the fact that a brew-n-view theater and pub are built into the hotel makes it fantastic! No wonder my relatives told me skiers love this place in the winter!

Baltimore, Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2014

As a part of the McMenamins family of hotels and restaurants, the Old St Francis School does not lack in unique character. Not only is it covered from head to toe in colorful artwork, it is also a special combination of bar, restaurant, hotel, movie theater, and soaking pool. We did not get to enjoy all of these features, but we did enjoy our stay in the hotel. Everything about it was quite satisfactory, but it is very dark inside. The hallway and the rooms were covered in dark paneling, and the lighting wasn't great. It was hard to read anything in our room! All in all I would say that this is a great place to stay in Bend, just bring a book light!

• Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014

I can't fully express our delight at staying at the old school! What a wonderful place! So creative, arty, historic! We decided we could live in Bend with places like that! The room was roomy enough, the bathroom was beautiful, shower was huge! The facilities offer so much for guests.

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2014

This a great place, keeping with the look and feel of a typical McMenamins property. They did an excellent job in keeping the old and mixing it with the new. The have a restaurant/ brewery, theater, cigar bar, outdoor fire pits, and hot soaking pool al in same facility. I was with my family and we stayed in the "Nunnery", which is the cottage that some of the school nuns would stay in. It was well appointed with 3 bedroom, living area, kitchen and porch - nicely decorated, walls stenciled with pics of nuns that roomed there and a story about each. Convenient to all the restaurants and shops in bend, everything within walking distance. My favorite parts were the outdoor patio/fire pits, and especially the hot soaking pool - bring your suit and don't miss out - it is a real treat to be remembered!

Skokie, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2014

Our family of five college age and above stayed in the Friary a separate building on the property. This was ideal for our needs. The hotel is nicely decorated with religious themes which we loved. Mine was a letter from a young girl who really did not like going to confession.

Kitchen was decent size, living room with good TV, each person had a separate bed.

Parking was close and we all had keys. The staff was responsive to our requests and they were friendly. Food service was spread out across the footprint, and special beers were available for tasting.

We would go back. We are geology nuts and loved the Newberry Volcano National Monument

Room Tip: If you have a family look into the four separate buildings: The Nunnery, The Friary, Art House, &...
Avondale, Arizona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2014

Great place to stay. The rooms were nicely designed and comfortable. Everything you could want is on the premises. There are various bars, a movie theater, and a pool. It is an easy walk into Bend, so you can browse in the quaint shops, coffee shops, and restaurant. Staff was nice and very helpful. it is a fun adventure to stay at McMenamins properties.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to McMenamins Old St. Francis School? Share your experiences!