“Nice Assortment at Reasonable Prices” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Latin, Mexican, Spanish, Tapas
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Wall Street
Description: Barrio is a Neighborhood Spanish Kitchen specializing in fast-casual lunch (fresh salads, homemade savory soups, tacos made-to-order including pork carnitas and fish varieties, and vegetarian/vegan/gluten-free friendly options. Dinner is comprised of shared plates from a variety of different tapas to choose from, to different types of paella (including a vegetarian option), and mouth-watering desserts, including housemade churros and chocolate to end the night. Barrio also offers a full bar including unique cocktails made from fresh ingredients, a modest spanish wine list and local brews.
Portland OR
“Nice Assortment at Reasonable Prices”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

Ate here with extended family and enjoyed it very much. We tried a collection of tapas as well as an appetizer and one big plate and one drink each people, around $70 plus tip for four, and we couldn't quite finish everything. Atmosphere is quaint and comfortable, and the food quite tasty. We'd return if time permits when back in town.

• Visited March 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Bend, Oregon, United States
“Well-priced, "Foodie" Mexican!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2013

Sampled all three tacos at lunch, and they were all amazing, but the fish was my favorite. Excellent, fresh guacamole, and homemade margaritas the way they should be: sour not sweet. A great lunch under $10 if you don't have the margarita! :)

• Visited November 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Bend, Oregon
“Food Average at Best”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2013

We popped in on a Saturday afternoon, and the place was busy. After a couple of minutes, one of the wait staff pointed us to a table and then we waited 5-10 minutes before menus were delivered. My wife ordered pappas bravas and a fish taco while I ordered green chili Caesar salad, all of which sounded rather interesting. After some time the pappas bravas, which are chunks of potato that have been cooked by boiling or steaming and then coated with a very thin layer of tomato-based sauce, showed up. To me they tasted like ...... boiled potatoes. Not too interesting, or for that matter, good. A few minutes later my wife's fish taco and my Caesar salad showed up. My wife enjoyed her fish taco, and from a small taste she gave me I also thought it was quite good. I had no idea what green chili Caesar salad might be, and as near as I could tell it was a plain Caesar salad. The dressing was good, but the Romaine lettuce was somewhat limp. As for the green chilies, I found no visual evidence of their presence or in taste.

Now I haven't mentioned that my daughter also ordered what they call paella (house, veg, mixta) at the same time my wife and I ordered, and we were nearly finished with our food before the paella was delivered. I was really hoping that it was good, but my daughter didn't care for it and said that I could make it better at home. A taste of it led me to the same conclusion; it had a noticeable taste of paprika but I could not tell if there was any saffron used in making it - I suspect not. Well, it was okay, but I find it disappointing to eat out in a restaurant and come away with the feeling that the food could have been made better at home with just modest cooking skills. There was one final snafu; I ordered a Boneyard IPA (kudos to Barrio for carrying a great IPA) and was charged $5 rather than the happy hour price of $3. Our server fixed the bill, but it is annoying to have to point out errors of this sort. All in all I wish that I could give Barrios a higher rating, but the food just did not come close to matching the creative names of the things we tried. Average at best.

• Visited February 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Oregon
“Food was fabulous - service "not so much"”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2013

I ate at Barrio for the first time with co-workers last evening. The restaurant is very small in size, about a dozen tables...and things were hopping. This was early in the evening, about 5-5:30. We were seated right away as we had reserved a table ahead of time. Good start, but the experience went down hill from there. We waited for a good 15 minutes before we were even served water and that was after tracking down the busboy. Then we waited for our menus to be delivered. After another wait, our drink order was taken and we waited at least 10 minutes for delivery. We finally had our order taken about 30-40 minutes after arrival.

The menu is fun, many interesting choices in tapas, several paellas as well as a handful of large plates. Prices are a bit on the high side, but the food was excellent. I enjoyed three street tacos, 1 carnitas, 1 grilled snapper and 1 carne asada. They were very good. The service was not attentive at all during the evening. We only saw the server to receive the menu, deliver our drink order and she checked in after the food was delivered by someone else. At that time I asked for a drink refill which never came. Same with the water, we never saw anyone to fill the glasses after the initial filling. We then had to try to find the server to track down our bill. The entire experience was just close to 3 hours. We weren't really in any hurry, but if the service was better, the restaurant could turn tables more often. We saw several people have to wait extended time for a table, or didn't wait at all.

It is a shame that the service doesn't match the excellent food. They have a good thing going if they can get it together. My average rating is due to the experience with the service, nothing to do with the food. I recommend the restaurant (due to it's size and cramped seating) for couples or small groups. It is not a place I would take or recommend taking children.

• Visited January 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Eden Prairie, Minnesota
“New Year's Eve, they blew it”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013

Having only been to a happy hour at Barrio , but been impressed by their delicious barside tacos, we booked a 6 pm table on New Years Eve. We arrived 7 minutes before 6, there were eight empty tables, set and ready to go. The hostess politely informed we'd have to wait a 'bit'. We had to stand in the cold, breezy entrance of the place for 7 minutes when apparently, the hostess was given the all clear to seat us. The wait staff seemed new, not familiar with the menu and besieged by the 6 pm seating. Ridiculous, we could have been seated and drink order taken before the other reservations came in and the place got busy. The waitress we had was , as sated, unfamiliar with the menu and the New Year's eve drink specials and more time was lost as she had to find out what they were. The drinks are unimaginative, you can get much better at other local establishments. The salad was fresh, although it had a choice of only two dressings , neither of which particularly appealed us. We had the fried plantains with carnitas and guac as an app. Skimpy with the fillings and should have been served hotter.We order the paella mixta for two. Barrio had 3 New Year's Eve seatings that night, we had the second one at 6 pm and the rice in the paella showed the stress. Very mushy. It had a good flavor although I expected to find the classic mussels or clams in it. It was supposed to come with chicken and chorizo and seafood. We had chicken, fish,calamari, 2, count 'em, 2 shrimp. No chorizo. Accompanied by 3 slices of grilled bread, if it had oil on it, we couldn't taste, just dry lackluster pieces of bread stuck upright in the chorizo. When the waitress delivered the paella, she did not clear the salad plates and it was apparent we were expected to eat our dinner off the salad plates with the same utensils. We had churros and chocolate for dessert. The churros had spent a minute too long in the fryer and were dark brown but still tasty enough. We were very disappointed that a New Year's Eve at Barrio was disorganized, chaotic and just ok. Probably would drop in for happy hour tacos but doubt if we'd pop for a meal there again.

• Visited December 2012