“Very Trendy” 2 of 5 stars

Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Bend, Oregon, United States
“Very Trendy”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

In my opinion their beer quality has gone drastically down hill since opening. Used to be great, now I won't even drink it. I have never and will never eat here. The whole idea that the McMenamins Brothers have creating their pubs is genius.

• Visited January 2012
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food

Layton, Utah
“Welcoming atmosphere...”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2012

I was happily surprised to be staying at a vacation rental across the parking lot from the restaurant. I've loved visiting these properties in Portland and Old St. Francis didn't dissapoint. We had an early dinner and the Rueben sandwich I ordered was delicious. The service was timely, friendly, and knowledgable. Everyone was more than pleased with their meals and the beer selection was great. The booths have high backs and the lighting is subdued. The bar is small but centrally situated behind the entrance to the restaurant from the street, making it a great place to meet for drinks and appetizers.

• Visited November 2012
Keizer, Oregon
“Bar food was excellent.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2012

We had dinner and drinks at the bar and appetizers and popcorn during the football games in the theater.

Visited November 2012
Linz, Austria
“Dinner and Breakfast”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2012

We had Dinner and Breakfast there and were really surprised. The service was excellent and the food really good. In the evening was a lot going on, but waiting time was minimal. They had a special which was excellent.
Breakfast was also really good. We even took a Muffin from there bakery with us.

• Visited September 2012
Bend, Oregon
“Excellent All-around!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

If you like dark, warm, quiet, eclectic places in the winter, then by all means head to McMenamins Old St. Francis Pub & Theater in downtown Bend. The venue is really cool, they took an old brick Catholic school and turned it into a pub/restaurant (several pubs, actually), hotel, soaking-tub sauna, and theater. The theater is in the old gymnasium, and they show first-run movies as well as Monday Night Football and local indie films, all while you relax on a comfy couch with your favorite brew-- or even dinner. (There are end tables between couches to set your plates or glass down.) The soaking pool is open to hotel guests and the public, it's $5 per visit if you're not staying at the hotel. It's not unusual to see patrons walking the cozy hallway to the Fireside Room, the nearest pub venue to the soaking pool, while wearing the hotel bathrobe.

We recently had dinner in their main restaurant, and I had probably the tastiest Ribeye Steak (with some sort of wine reduction sauce, can't remember exactly what it was called) that I have ever eaten. It was done perfectly (I like medium rare) and very tender. It was served with really tasty potatoes and braised collard greens, which I found out I liked very much! They also are a brew pub, which means they had an excellent selection of their own as well as other local microbrews-- and if you can't find something to enjoy among all the different beers they offer, than you're too picky. Don't be afraid to ask for a sample if something sounds intriguing-- they are usually free (I say usually because I don't know if they charge you after 3-- that's how many I asked for, and I wasn't charged.) My wife had a seafood dish, I wish I could remember what
it was because it too was really tasty. I guess I was enjoying the food, beer, and conversation too much to notice exactly.

When we finished dinner, we went to the Fireside Room for an after-dinner drink and more conversation. It's small, dark, intimate, and--true to its name-- there's a nice fireplace in it. Great ambiance. It also has its very own bar/bartender so you don't have to walk to get a libation. We also wandered around the halls and found the entire place to be enchanting. There are a couple more venues we didn't check out this time, but definitely will in the future. If I didn't live here I would definitely try the hotel, it's fairly reasonable for how nice (& centrally located) the place is.

• Visited October 2012