“Really Uneven” 3 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Asian
Bend, Oregon
“Really Uneven”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2014

When seated immediately on First Friday you think to yourself that this is the start to something good. Not so quick. It took nearly 15 minutes for a server to show up, and that was only after asking the hostess if there were was a server for our area. Now sometimes bad service results from ..... well, incompetent servers. In this case, it seemed like our hostess and ultimately our server were nicely competent. I suspect there is a management problem here.

Let's start with some good news - their Happy hour runs until 7:00 on Friday nights. I enjoyed having nice options of small plates, appetizers and microbrews. Wife and daughter ordered sweet potato fries and a couple of rolls while I ordered mussels and 1/2 of a "chicken" that sounded like an Asian fusion version of grilled chicken. The sweet potato fries showed up in short order and were okay. A few minutes later the 1/2 grilled "chicken showed up; it turned out to be 1/2 of a Cornish game hen (read small, which was actually okay with me) accompanied by two bowls of dipping sauces and white rice. One sauce was a thickened, very sweet liquid with plenty of capsaicin while the other was a fish sauce based liquid. Both were okay, but I would say they were more different than good. I ordered this dish hoping that an Asian fusion version of chicken .... lemongrass, ginger, etc. whatever .... would somehow magically come together to provide some new taste experience. The "chicken" was good - it tasted like ... chicken. No melding of flavors here. So dipping chicken in different sauces was different, but no magic here.

When I had finished my chicken entree, the rolls and mussels showed up at our table. Interesting timing. My daughter really like her California roll. On the other hand, my wife promptly announced that she could not eat her spicy tuna roll ... too spicy. Now I like spicy food so I tried it out. My take on it was that it was a whole lot of Sriracha with a little bit of tuna in a roll of rice. I didn't use any ginger or wasabi, but I don't think I would have tasted either. The tuna was glowing red spicy; we're not talking balance here, or even good. On a positive note, I only ordered two mussels, and there were absolutely delicious.

To summarize, some of the food is really good and some of it needs to go back to the drawing board. The service, on the other hand, needs help to just be there and to get food to the table at the right time.

• Visited May 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere

68% Recommend
Boise
“Two and a half hours in foodie heaven!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2013

I recently had the honor of joining owner/operator Justin Cook and some of his friends for a dinner I will not soon forget.
My boss lived in Bend in the 90s and worked with Justin at Deschutes brewery. We took a trip to Mt. Bachelor this week and got a group of his old friends together for dinner at Boken. After the "hi, how are yous" and the " I havnt seen you in years" and a couple "omg wheres your hair" conversation turned to everyday life and beautiful small plates like chicken wings in thai chili jam, Nam Jim popcorn shrimp and Larb Gai started flowing to the table. Flavors of lime, chilis, soy and fish sauces made each bite a new experience and is what makes Boken a must stop if you are ever in the Bend area.
After dinner we got a tour the construction that is under way now and it looks like Dojo will be an even better place. I am looking forward to returning when work is complete.

• Visited April 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Bend, Oregon
“Small portions, meh service, not a good value”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2013

A friend and I went here specifically for the sushi and wish I hadn't.

Where shall I start...the rice on the nigiri fell right apart when dipped in soy, the fish was cut sloppily. Sushi rolls are small. We paid $14.00 for a specialty in which the slices were cut less than 1/2 inch. Everything was a bit...how to you say...blah. We ended up splitting 3 sushi rolls and were still hungry when we left. Our last roll was supposed to be spicy (but wasn't) so we were offered sriracha to "spice it up"). I pigged out on Wheat Thins and cheese when I got home...

Service also lacked. Our server forgot part of our order and we had to constantly flag her down (for another menu, for more beverages etc.) Half way through our meal, we were told we could not stay because they were closing early for a function (really?)

Don't waste your time or money, there is better sushi elsewhere in Bend.

• Visited February 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
“Lovely downtown Bend restaurant”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2013 via mobile

My friends and I go often and enjoy our experience each time. The Nam Jim Popcorn Shrimp is a favorite, along with the rolls and the cocktails :) Great atmosphere for a family or just to meet up for a happy hour cocktail. I will continue to go back!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Madras, OR
“Some things very good, others lacking”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

I enjoyed the variety of fusion-style sushi rolls. I'd give a big miss to the grilled eggplant and kim chi. The former was simply boring. The latter delivered on a teeny-tiny plate for $5. I was shocked, but didn't say anything. About 10 min. later the server brought over an equally teeny-tiny plate of more kim chi saying we were "shorted" the first time. The kim chi tasted processed, vs "made in house" as advertised. Diners can find better Korean food at a Korean restaurant; Japanese food at a Japanese restaurant. Boken tries to combine the Asian flavors. Some are good. Two thumbs up on the sake selection.

• Visited December 2012